PDA

View Full Version : Petrol bomb threat sentence

Nwicker60
28-Sep-15, 14:32
Woman driven by "voices in my head" escapes jail

A WICK woman, who threatened to petrol bomb her local police station THREE times in a matter of months - driven by "voices in my head" - has escaped a jail sentence.
Joanne Peacher, 46, was today ordered to carry out 100 hours unpaid work in the community, by Sheriff Andrew Berry who heard that she had "faced up to the reality of her actions" and had promised not to re-offend.
Peacher's latest petrol bomb threat occurred on September 7 while she was out walking her dog in the Harrowhill area of Wick. She telephoned Police Scotland's Highland headquarters at Inverness.
Wick Sheriff Court was told, previously, that Peacher, of 55 Kennedy Terrace, Wick, had mental health problems and might have been under the influence of "the wrong mix of her medication"
Sheriff Berry made it clear at her earlier appearance that the situation was not helped by the face that the accused had committed the exact same offence in such a short timescale and indicated that prison remained an option.
However, after considering a full background report and a strong plea from solicitor Ross Anderson, yesterday, the sheriff decide against a custodial sentence.
Mr Anderson said that Peacher had not enjoyed her spell on remand and made the point that unpaid work was an option which had not been explored.
He said: "Peacher has faced up to the reality of her actions which not only caused the general public distress, but resulted in her spending some time in prison."
Sheriff Berry said that Peacher's repeated conduct restricted the options open to him and he had to take account of the public interest. Sometimes prison was the only sentence given the consequences for the police who had to urgently investigate a non-existent threat.
However, sheriff told the accused that he had had the benefit of a very helpful report from a social worker but warned her:"At the risk of repeating myself, it is critical there is no further offending."
Peacher, who pleaded guilty, replied from the dock: "I promise."