PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon backtracks over room in her home for refugees

BetterTogether
27-Sep-15, 17:06
It seems the First Minsiter has managed to do an astounding back track over her offer to give a room to refugees. After a very public announcement it now appears the usual politician weasel words have sprung into action.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3250573/SNP-chief-Nicola-Sturgeon-backtracks-vow-home-Syrian-refugees.html

Redsnapper
27-Sep-15, 20:15
Also understand she once owned a volkswagen and is therefor responsible for the VW emission scandal

BetterTogether
27-Sep-15, 20:18
Also understand she once owned a volkswagen and is therefor responsible for the VW emission scandal

That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest lol

Meanwhile can anyone explain after why making such a public statement to the whole Nation she is now quietly back peddling and doing what she accuses other politicians of pure hypocrisy.

Fulmar
28-Sep-15, 08:10
''Last week the Government said that refugees coming to the UK from Syria would not in fact be housed in spare rooms as it is a ‘short-term solution to a long-term problem’. Almost 600 landlords came forward to offer their properties to Syrian refugees as part of a campaign by the charity Citizens UK.''

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3250573/SNP-chief-Nicola-Sturgeon-backtracks-vow-home-Syrian-refugees.html#ixzz3n0y31FRU
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=MailOnline) | DailyMail on Facebook (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=DailyMail)'

According to the article, even if she wanted to house refugees temporarily this is not what the government is planning to do with those families that are being admitted to the UK at the present time. It further states that only 100 have come in to date so personally, I think that it is too soon to judge the matter or the motives of those who have offered to take in refugees.

rob murray
28-Sep-15, 10:42
''Last week the Government said that refugees coming to the UK from Syria would not in fact be housed in spare rooms as it is a ‘short-term solution to a long-term problem’. Almost 600 landlords came forward to offer their properties to Syrian refugees as part of a campaign by the charity Citizens UK.''

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3250573/SNP-chief-Nicola-Sturgeon-backtracks-vow-home-Syrian-refugees.html#ixzz3n0y31FRU
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=MailOnline) | DailyMail on Facebook (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=DailyMail)'

According to the article, even if she wanted to house refugees temporarily this is not what the government is planning to do with those families that are being admitted to the UK at the present time. It further states that only 100 have come in to date so personally, I think that it is too soon to judge the matter or the motives of those who have offered to take in refugees.

She did say that she would take refugees into her house........maybe she should have kept quiet and waited to see what panned out ??

squidge
28-Sep-15, 10:55
I have offered space to refugees in my home too. There is a website that I have signed up to, where you fill in your details and the space you have. However, as yet, there are no plans for me to take a refugee into my home. That's not cos I have changed my mind, backtracked, wriggled out of it, sidestepped it, am avoiding it or any other reasons than as yet there are no plans In Place to house refugees in spare rooms.

rob murray
28-Sep-15, 11:20
I have offered space to refugees in my home too. There is a website that I have signed up to, where you fill in your details and the space you have. However, as yet, there are no plans for me to take a refugee into my home. That's not cos I have changed my mind, backtracked, wriggled out of it, sidestepped it, am avoiding it or any other reasons than as yet there are no plans In Place to house refugees in spare rooms.

Fine, ms sturgeon was perhaps to hasty in her "offer" then, good intent though. like your self well intended.

squidge
28-Sep-15, 11:51
The Daily Mail Article makes it clear that she was asked if she would take a refugee into her home by a reporter to which she replied that she would as part of a wider organised arrangement. For the Daily Mail to then say she somehow has reneged on a "vow" is nuts. Did they expect her to drive to Calais, or Greece, or Syria itself and pluck a refugee out of the crowd and return with them to Scotland? If and when there is a system for allocating refugees then I would expect that I will hear. I'm sure that the FM will hear too.

rob murray
28-Sep-15, 11:56
The Daily Mail Article makes it clear that she was asked if she would take a refugee into her home by a reporter to which she replied that she would as part of a wider organised arrangement. For the Daily Mail to then say she somehow has reneged on a "vow" is nuts. Did they expect her to drive to Calais, or Greece, or Syria itself and pluck a refugee out of the crowd and return with them to Scotland? If and when there is a system for allocating refugees then I would expect that I will hear. I'm sure that the FM will hear too.

"If and when there is a system for allocating refugees then I would expect that I will hear. I'm sure that the FM will hear too"......their taking their time on organising this then given the enormority of the situation ???

squidge
28-Sep-15, 12:08
Pretty much Rob. They are indeed. But the ability to increase the speed of response lies, erm, gosh, ahhhh, with the Westminster Government. ( I know I know you hate that being said but it's true) As they aren't hurrying to do anything very much then we all just have to wait. Donations are always useful though - 2nd Artic is arriving in Inverness from Shetland this week, Earlier than expected. If you know anywhere that can be used for storage until we get keys for the long term location then it would be helpful. Or if anyone this end wants to volunteer to handball stuff off the truck then drop me a PM.

rob murray
28-Sep-15, 12:11
Pretty much Rob. They are indeed. But the ability to increase the speed of response lies, erm, gosh, ahhhh, with the Westminster Government. ( I know I know you hate that being said but it's true) As they aren't hurrying to do anything very much then we all just have to wait. Donations are always useful though - 2nd Artic is arriving in Inverness from Shetland this week, Earlier than expected. If you know anywhere that can be used for storage until we get keys for the long term location then it would be helpful. Or if anyone this end wants to volunteer to handball stuff off the truck then drop me a PM.

In fairness though are the delays not caused by failures in EU to agree a coordinated strategy and not soley to westminster ?

BetterTogether
28-Sep-15, 12:16
Ooh another Lorry load of clothes food and other goodies heading down to look after some of those men in refugee camps who are raping and abusing women and children, out and out misogynists and forcing women who aren't protected into prostitution how very liberal.

I Wonder how comfortably that sits with the people supplying all the goodies.

No doubt a profound silence will ensue or some excuse be given for what is now quite a well known and common occurrence.

squidge
28-Sep-15, 12:23
In fairness though are the delays not caused by failures in EU to agree a coordinated strategy and not soley to westminster ?You are right that they are to a degree but the WM government is acting unilaterally to take a very small number of refugees and it is within their power to do more and do it more quickly. Scotland is powerless to do anything different or to make it happen any quicker I'm afraid. :(

rob murray
28-Sep-15, 12:40
You are right that they are to a degree but the WM government is acting unilaterally to take a very small number of refugees and it is within their power to do more and do it more quickly. Scotland is powerless to do anything different or to make it happen any quicker I'm afraid. :(

Seemingly, Pentland Housing Association are keen to house refugees. PHA is working along with the local authority to find out if it can earmark any of its 500 properties across Caithness for this purpose so is that not making things happen / planning quickly albeit when the fine print is finally there ? .see http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Pentland-Housing-Association-keen-to-house-refugees-27092015.htm from the Groat

squidge
28-Sep-15, 13:08
Absolutely, we can prepare but we can't make refugees get here any quicker. We can have all the systems in place, like the list of people willing to house refugees and local authorities ready to roll but we can't get refugees here any quicker than the law and the politicians allow.

BetterTogether
28-Sep-15, 13:21
Suprising how some people assume there is a great desire by the public at large to being large quantities of refugees into the country.
Considering how one of the major factors the electorate are concerned about is immigration it seems at odds that small pressure groups and charitable institutions are using their influence to go against the majority will of the nation.
Already we have seen the figure increase from 10,000 to 20,000 but that isn't enough there has to be more and more and more.

Yet still the other posters are ignoring the other factors at play in this crisis.

The undeniable influx of masses of men of working age from multiple nations seeking work to send back to their families.

The misogyny, the rape, the abuse, the violence the uncomfortable truths which are being blithely brushed aside or totally ignored but it doesn't fit with their limited world view.

In Scotland we already have a waiting list for council properties but it seem that those already waiting should be brushed aside to house people from other countries some of whom may well be refugees others who knows their motives.

rob murray
28-Sep-15, 13:27
Absolutely, we can prepare but we can't make refugees get here any quicker. We can have all the systems in place, like the list of people willing to house refugees and local authorities ready to roll but we can't get refugees here any quicker than the law and the politicians allow.

Yes but as Ive said on here before things need to be planned out as regards dispersal / housing / availability impact upon services ( education, NHS, dentistry, things that the core infrastructure needs to have in place and can accomodate ) they all have to be planned out, we cannot magically take an influx without the planning, otherwise we will create an unholy mess. Ive not read any updates on this, ie the key issues which will determine how many folk we can properly accomodate ?? Unfortunatly for those on the ground, the displaced, there is a higher agenda as depicted by current geo political discussions at the UN involving Putin etc based on gaining some resolution in Syria which may lead to stablisation, therefore no need for refugees to flee the war. BUt its all ifs and buts isnt it, so the whole crisis is now in no mans land, maye a resolution can be brokered hence no need to flee, hence refugee situation is no longer pressing...Im by no means up to date on middle east politics / Russia / USA....but talks are happening which may explain the "slow" response in parts.

rob murray
28-Sep-15, 13:34
Suprising how some people assume there is a great desire by the public at large to being large quantities of refugees into the country.
Considering how one of the major factors the electorate are concerned about is immigration it seems at odds that small pressure groups and charitable institutions are using their influence to go against the majority will of the nation.
Already we have seen the figure increase from 10,000 to 20,000 but that isn't enough there has to be more and more and more.

Yet still the other posters are ignoring the other factors at play in this crisis.

The undeniable influx of masses of men of working age from multiple nations seeking work to send back to their families.

The misogyny, the rape, the abuse, the violence the uncomfortable truths which are being blithely brushed aside or totally ignored but it doesn't fit with their limited world view.

In Scotland we already have a waiting list for council properties but it seem that those already waiting should be brushed aside to house people from other countries some of whom may well be refugees others who knows their motives.

My point is that prior to making any decisions on numbers / types of Syrian asyulm seekers we have to have the infrastructure in place ie housing, education, NHS, dentistry service etc, and also a planned disperal programme not lumping refugees togther in single places creating non interated ghettos whihc dominate south east england ( coastal towns ) as any influx will impact upon these services, most are stretched as it is, so a great degree of planning must be done to accomodate service consumption increases..... otherwise the mess will be that theres not enough services to go round in the short term, ghettos are created and impact upon UK citizens.......its not a lack of compassion but its facing up to the hard facts, service availability / capacity and integration

BetterTogether
28-Sep-15, 13:45
You're changing the debate Rob as is Squidge you're now discussing how we can take more by sorting out infrastructure but you've yet to address the serious issues which are occurring within the refugee camps currently.

Misogyny , rape, sexual abuse of women and children, forced prostitution, Violence.

Unless you address those very serious issues are you tacitly saying it's all ok as long as we've sorted out the infrastructure before hand.

I fully accept Squidge will play her usual ignore tactic because it's easier to pretend not to see posts that way you can't be pulled into dealing with the uncomfortable issues surrounding the issue but you sir have no excuse.

Are these men the sort you want in this country, men who consider women second class citizens, men who do not respect western liberal values, men who consider a woman not dressed in a Niqab and wearing a short skirt as sexually available for his own pleasure.
Instead of blathering about housing and infrastructure deal with the harsh realities.

Germany is now struggling with these issues but you two seem to prefer to not see the issue and just keep waving them in.

cptdodger
28-Sep-15, 13:45
Well I hope for your sakes that when they place "refugees" in Caithness they know what they are dealing with. As I said on another thread, and people thought I was being nasty, when Britain took thousands of refugees (I don't know if they were referred to as that back then) from the former Yugoslavia, they thought they would be grateful for housing and so on and to be away from a war torn country. What they didn't check was what factions they were from and housed them in the same area.

We had at times running gun battles, any innocent bystander that got caught up in that, tough, they were Police no go areas, the place was turned into a mini war zone. It was an awful time. It still amazes me here that children are allowed out on their own to play, I could not allow my children to do that, in any way shape or form.

Be careful what you wish for, because your way of life as you know it, is under threat.

squidge
28-Sep-15, 13:47
There was a great wee programme on Radio 4 last week that I was listening to as I was travelling. It compared the situation now to the situation in the 70s with the Vietnamese Boat people speaking to those involved then and now. I'll try and find the link it was really interesting and thought provoking.

rob murray
28-Sep-15, 13:52
There was a great wee programme on Radio 4 last week that I was listening to as I was travelling. It compared the situation now to the situation in the 70s with the Vietnamese Boat people speaking to those involved then and now. I'll try and find the link it was really interesting and thought provoking.

Thanks apppreciate it.......without prejudging, things were a lot different in the 70's....on many levels....and of course we had the Ugandan Asian crisis in early 70's as well.

BetterTogether
28-Sep-15, 14:00
Seems like we are now beginning to see a bury your head in the sand and ignore the problems approach being taken. From one source it comes as no surprise because it doesn't fit with their political agenda, the other maybe it doesn't count, they don't care or its just a bit awkward to deal with. I shall provide a link for viewing.

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/6527/migrants-rape-germanyA

There major differences between Vietnamese Boat people and Middle Eastern Refugees is the cultural differences, you may not like it or want to label differently but there is a vast world of difference between the cultures, religions and ethics of Vietnam and those of the Middle East.

squidge
28-Sep-15, 14:18
This is it Rob. It looks at what we did and draws comparisons but it does recognise differences.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06bng2x

The Long View

Vietnamese refugees in 1979

Johnathon Freedland compares Britain's response to refugees from Vietnam in the 1970s with our reaction to refugees from Syria today.Thousands of Vietnamese refugees came to the UK from 1979, were placed in camps and then dispersed around the country.

Jonathan and his guests ask how well Britain met the needs of those Vietnamese refugees, how they and their children adapted to life in the UK and what their experience tells us about today's refugee crisis.Producer Julia Johnson.

BetterTogether
28-Sep-15, 14:23
More silence on the major differences .........

rob murray
28-Sep-15, 14:32
You're changing the debate Rob as is Squidge you're now discussing how we can take more by sorting out infrastructure but you've yet to address the serious issues which are occurring within the refugee camps currently.

Misogyny , rape, sexual abuse of women and children, forced prostitution, Violence.

Unless you address those very serious issues are you tacitly saying it's all ok as long as we've sorted out the infrastructure before hand.

I fully accept Squidge will play her usual ignore tactic because it's easier to pretend not to see posts that way you can't be pulled into dealing with the uncomfortable issues surrounding the issue but you sir have no excuse.

Are these men the sort you want in this country, men who consider women second class citizens, men who do not respect western liberal values, men who consider a woman not dressed in a Niqab and wearing a short skirt as sexually available for his own pleasure.
Instead of blathering about housing and infrastructure deal with the harsh realities.

Germany is now struggling with these issues but you two seem to prefer to not see the issue and just keep waving them in.

IM not waving anyone in, nor changing any debate, I was merely pointing out from the off that detailed planned was required, not emotive hot air, and the impact upon available services on the premise that however its done, "properly screened asylum seekers" come. I made the point several times that any intakes have to be dispersed to prevent ghettos and non intergration as CPT DODGER has illustrated. Of courses IM not as you say ignoring very serious issues which you state : rape, sexual abuse of women and children, forced prostitution, Violence....who the hell would want those types. ARe you saying that 100% of "asylum" seekers behave like this.....????

cptdodger
28-Sep-15, 14:39
ARe you saying that 100% of "asylum" seekers behave like this.....????

Trust me Rob, it doesn't have to be 100% of them behaving like that to alter your way of life. I am sure where I lived they were not all like that, but enough were.

BetterTogether
28-Sep-15, 14:39
You need to do some research in the refugee camps Rob and Middle Eastern attitudes toward women. Then come back to the debate a bit more informed. Getting dragged into a debate on allowing large groups of men into country without knowing much about their culture, religion, views on life is a dangerous place to be.

Squidge bless her has never been to the region hasn't a clue about the culture or attitudes prevelant in the area and closest she gets is reading an article somewhere. First hand knowledge for her is zero.

squidge
28-Sep-15, 14:42
The refugee council and the UN state quite clearly that the way to avoid the sexual abuse of women refugees is to ensure that genuine refugees are assimilated into communities as soon as possible and not left to languish in transit or refugee camps for years on end.

It appears that the all refugees are closet terrorists wasn't scary enough so we have moved on to all refugees are potential rapists to see if that does the trick.

The way to ensure that refugee camps are not turned into hotbeds of criminal behaviour is to develop a system of safe routes, allocations, screening to ensure that people are moved through and onto safety as soon as possible.

rob murray
28-Sep-15, 14:43
You need to do some research in the refugee camps Rob and Middle Eastern attitudes toward women. Then come back to the debate a bit more informed. Getting dragged into a debate on allowing large groups of men into country without knowing much about their culture, religion, views on life is a dangerous place to be.

AGreed......but in my defense I admit that I aint that clued up on the middle east and geo politics and present developments in Syria, I do rely on folk like your self for information but can you not see my basic point, lets say we allowed only women and young children into UK...whats the plan....where the details.....or lets say we were dealing with another Ugandan Asian cirsis wheres the planning....loads of emotive hot air as far as I can see.

rob murray
28-Sep-15, 14:45
Trust me Rob, it doesn't have to be 100% of them behaving like that to alter your way of life. I am sure where I lived they were not all like that, but enough were.

OK, I dont know enough of this situation so will bow out now, I accpet what your saying, but have never expereinced it first hand, never having lived anywhere but the North

cptdodger
28-Sep-15, 14:53
The refugee council and the UN state quite clearly that the way to avoid the sexual abuse of women refugees is to ensure that genuine refugees are assimilated into communities as soon as possible and not left to languish in transit or refugee camps for years on end.

But it didn't make any difference, as far as I know we had genuine refugees, but they themselves did not assimilate into communities. That was their choice. You can take them out of their Country, but you cannot take their Country and their believes out of them, they were as much enemies in Britain as they were in Yugoslavia. They are not suddenly going to conform to the British way of life because we feel they have been given a second chance so they should.

BetterTogether
28-Sep-15, 15:29

Why is it they need to be integrated into European countries or is segragation within the camps not acceptable as a first case scenario, single men one area, women and children another, couples another. The reality is they need to be able to return to their own countries safely not reintegrated into other countries.

It appears that the all refugees are closet terrorists wasn't scary enough so we have moved on to all refugees are potential rapists to see if that does the trick.

Not all refugees are terrorists that's plain simple trying to denigrate the argument that within the large mass of people will be terrorists using it as a means to enter Europe. There is a significant problem within the camps of ramp and sexual abuse to deny that is to deny that real problems exsist. It's never all people but the fact it's a significant problem and you choose to try ignore it and fast track those people to this country.

The way to ensure that refugee camps are not turned into hotbeds of criminal behaviour is to develop a system of safe routes, allocations, screening to ensure that people are moved through and onto safety as soon as possible.

The way to ensure this country doesn't become a hotbed for for refugee criminal behaviour is to ensure that all refugees are brought into the country via official camps and vetted before entry, not just allow anyone able to walk to the borders entry.

BetterTogether
28-Sep-15, 19:23
So with all the fine words so far I'm wondering why the SNP haven't fully entered into the gateway scheme.http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/608239/Rhetoric-backfires-Sturgeon-snubbing-UN-backed-rehoming-scheme

cptdodger
28-Sep-15, 19:43
And on that same link - http://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/608118/Mass-migration-threat-our-children-education?_ga=1.130166479.11878596.1443465420

This is what I was talking about, and before anybody says it's this newspaper or that newspaper, my daughter was affected by this twenty seven years ago, and it's only going to get worse, not better.

Fulmar
28-Sep-15, 20:00
It is worth bearing in mind that the Syrian people whom David Cameron wish to see given priority for admittance to the UK are women (including those who have suffered sexual violence) and vulnerable (often un-accompanied) children and young families in general.
I abhor the criminal and sexual violence that is reportedly taking place in some of the camps but I do not see that as a reason not to help people who are refugees and I think that for once, the UK government is correct to concentrate on the people it has identified as priority for coming here.
Interestingly, only a day or two ago on Radio 4's Today programme, there was a feature about a family that were among the first to be admitted (in the last 12 months), a disabled father ( a teacher, I think) and his wife and two kids. They are settled and living in Bradford and happy to be away from war and violence and their destroyed house and that their two kids are enjoying attending primary school and no longer in fear of bombs raining down upon them, night and day. Both parents were looking forward to one day being able to return to Syria and hoping that there would be external help to rid the country not only of the government but also those whom they described as 'foreigners' - I guess they meant IS.

gingernut
28-Sep-15, 21:08
Seems like we are now beginning to see a bury your head in the sand and ignore the problems approach being taken. From one source it comes as no surprise because it doesn't fit with their political agenda, the other maybe it doesn't count, they don't care or its just a bit awkward to deal with. I shall provide a link for viewing.

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/6527/migrants-rape-germanyA

There major differences between Vietnamese Boat people and Middle Eastern Refugees is the cultural differences, you may not like it or want to label differently but there is a vast world of difference between the cultures, religions and ethics of Vietnam and those of the Middle East.

Here's another source of information about the problem of rape in Sweden largely linked to the increased immigration
http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/5195/sweden-rape
The Swedish authorities have been keeping such information under wraps and it's only recently that the extent of the problem is emerging.

cptdodger
28-Sep-15, 21:09
It is worth bearing in mind that the Syrian people whom David Cameron wish to see given priority for admittance to the UK are women (including those who have suffered sexual violence) and vulnerable (often un-accompanied) children and young families in general.
I abhor the criminal and sexual violence that is reportedly taking place in some of the camps but I do not see that as a reason not to help people who are refugees and I think that for once, the UK government is correct to concentrate on the people it has identified as priority for coming here.
Interestingly, only a day or two ago on Radio 4's Today programme, there was a feature about a family that were among the first to be admitted (in the last 12 months), a disabled father ( a teacher, I think) and his wife and two kids. They are settled and living in Bradford and happy to be away from war and violence and their destroyed house and that their two kids are enjoying attending primary school and no longer in fear of bombs raining down upon them, night and day. Both parents were looking forward to one day being able to return to Syria and hoping that there would be external help to rid the country not only of the government but also those whom they described as 'foreigners' - I guess they meant IS.

On BBC1 Scotland now (9pm) The Food Bank : Scotland's Hidden Hunger.

When are you going to start prioritizing and caring about people in our Country?

BetterTogether
28-Sep-15, 21:47
It is worth bearing in mind that the Syrian people whom David Cameron wish to see given priority for admittance to the UK are women (including those who have suffered sexual violence) and vulnerable (often un-accompanied) children and young families in general.I abhor the criminal and sexual violence that is reportedly taking place in some of the camps but I do not see that as a reason not to help people who are refugees and I think that for once, the UK government is correct to concentrate on the people it has identified as priority for coming here.Interestingly, only a day or two ago on Radio 4's Today programme, there was a feature about a family that were among the first to be admitted (in the last 12 months), a disabled father ( a teacher, I think) and his wife and two kids. They are settled and living in Bradford and happy to be away from war and violence and their destroyed house and that their two kids are enjoying attending primary school and no longer in fear of bombs raining down upon them, night and day. Both parents were looking forward to one day being able to return to Syria and hoping that there would be external help to rid the country not only of the government but also those whom they described as 'foreigners' - I guess they meant IS.Doesn't really surprise me they are happy in Bradford have you actually been there ? I'd say it's almost like a home from home for them. Minus the bombs and shootings at the moment !

Fulmar
29-Sep-15, 08:38
Yes, I have been there- I worked in Leeds for 3 years and that (as you probably know), is not a million miles away. We also have family living in and around Rotherham- and they always have done and quite happy there.
In answer to CPT, I try to do this each and every day- mainly by giving to the food bank and through my church in its outreach work. What do you do to help?

BetterTogether
29-Sep-15, 10:05
Yes, I have been there- I worked in Leeds for 3 years and that (as you probably know), is not a million miles away. We also have family living in and around Rotherham- and they always have done and quite happy there.In answer to CPT, I try to do this each and every day- mainly by giving to the food bank and through my church in its outreach work. What do you do to help?See that's where I become uncomfortable surely charity is a private issue not one for competition or pressure being applied. All well and good that you do charity work but vicarious pressure is quite distasteful. It's up to each individual to choose the manner and method also quantity of charitable donations they make dependent on circumstances, not for pressure to be applied by another or the assumed halo in an attempt to shame the other into giving. Seems the charity sector isn't quite so charitable after all no wonder they will be legislated into reforming maybe religious organisations need reforms as well to stop them applying pressure to others.

Fulmar
29-Sep-15, 18:08
Sorry, BT but I truly do not know where you are coming from on your post above. I was asked by CPT when I would start to give priority to people at home and tried to answer it- but I am not in a position to do very much and certainly admit that. I think that individual people can usually only do a little in reality but always glad to know of other ways and interested to discover what others do also.

cptdodger
02-Oct-15, 10:14
Before you all start dismissing this because it is from The Daily Mail - this is all over the internet -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3256156/German-woman-second-evicted-home-make-room-migrants-country-begins-printing-constitution-Arabic-refugees-learn.html

Fulmar
02-Oct-15, 13:36
Obviously shocking and equally obviously totally wrong- why would anyone dismiss it?
Also wrong is the 'social cleansing' in London (and other cities in the UK), where people who have always lived on an estate are forced out and evicted and made homeless so that their former homes can be bulldozed and replaced with new houses that the former residents can never hope to be able to afford. The latest of these is Sweets Way estate in Barnet. ('Sweets Way Resists'). These people are not, however, being forced out to re-home refugees but to provide homes for those wealthy enough to be able to make it onto the property ladder in London.

cptdodger
02-Oct-15, 15:16
Obviously shocking and equally obviously totally wrong- why would anyone dismiss it?
Also wrong is the 'social cleansing' in London (and other cities in the UK), where people who have always lived on an estate are forced out and evicted and made homeless so that their former homes can be bulldozed and replaced with new houses that the former residents can never hope to be able to afford. The latest of these is Sweets Way estate in Barnet. ('Sweets Way Resists'). These people are not, however, being forced out to re-home refugees but to provide homes for those wealthy enough to be able to make it onto the property ladder in London.

People would dismiss it because it is The Daily Mail and according to them, they lie.

I can't afford to live where I grew up, but I haven't been socially cleansed, I just accept it.

BetterTogether
04-Oct-15, 20:56
This sums it up quite nicely with the property portfolio owned by SNP MPs they could house all the refugees themselves.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/04/there-is-a-property-boom-especially-for-the-snp?CMP=share_btn_tw

cptdodger
06-Oct-15, 13:21
This is a bit like closing the stable door once the horse has bolted -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34450887

jo bowd
06-Oct-15, 15:53
Just a thought, has anyone asked these refugees if they want to come to Caithness? I know that previously, asylum seekers placed in accommodation in various parts of the UK tend to gravitate back to the south east of England. What is there for them here?

tonkatojo
06-Oct-15, 16:42
Just a thought, has anyone asked these refugees if they want to come to Caithness? I know that previously, asylum seekers placed in accommodation in various parts of the UK tend to gravitate back to the south east of England. What is there for them here?http://forum.caithness.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27862&stc=1

Not sure about SE England, but this place is closer and speak their language has their culture, This is the tent city in Minerva all mod cons air conditioning etc, used for the annual pilgrimage it could be perfect to house them. The question is why not.