PDA

View Full Version : Watch

Fulmar
27-Sep-15, 16:44
Gents watch found at Sarclet.
Send PM with details if yours.

BetterTogether
27-Sep-15, 17:10
You should hand the watch into the police.

Otherwise it may be considered theft by finding .

Theft by finding may be considered as a type of theft by appropriation. A person does not steal goods merely by finding them, even if he retains the goods for some time after the discovery. Such a person may, for a reasonable time, be presumed to possess the goods with the intention of returning them to their true owner. Once that reasonable time has elapsed, however, it may be presumed that the finder has appropriated the goods to his own use, and at that point, theft has occurred.

olrig
27-Sep-15, 21:04
May I point out the following : Under common law (not statute) the crime of theft has one main criteria, ie to constitute this crime the person finding the "item" must have no intention of returning the property to its rightful owner (a very difficult case to prove).
The mere fact that Fulmar has advertised the "find" is testament to the fact that "no intention to retain the article" could be proved.
If the watch had been handed in to the police (if he can find a station open), NO attempt would be made by the constabulary to return the watch to its rightful owner. Hope this clarifies the matter.

Fulmar
28-Sep-15, 07:56
Post as above but to clarify for BT.
If no replies by Thursday, I will hand the watch in at the police station when I am next in Wick but as I live a considerable distance away from there and currently have people staying (hence the trip to Sarclet!), I am not using up fuel and money making a special journey into town when no other reason to go there.