PDA

View Full Version : how to set up a home network?

daviddd
14-May-05, 14:01
Several weeks after buying a home wireless kit and after several fruitless calls to D-Link (Wifi supplier) helpdesk I am still unable to get our network of 2 computers up and running. The 'host' is a new Dell with XP and the 2nd is a Gateway 667 MHz running ME.
The last D-Link person said that the 2nd machine needed a 'BIOS update' whatever that is (that's not what 3 other of hios colleagues had said, they fobbed me off with some other reason [evil] ) to get the wireless link working.

Well, I've gone back to basics and fitted a 3com network card in the Gateway and used a piece of network cable between the 2 machines, or rather this runs from the router to the Gateway with the router also wired to the Dell. I'm certain the wiring is OK.

I've ran the network setup prog on both machines (using the XP CD on the Gateway) but I still don't have any connection between the 2. I take it I should be able to see the 'other' drive on each machine in Explorer?

Anyone got any hints? :(

daviddd
14-May-05, 14:06
meant to add that I have about 10 new little printer icons in the taskbar (?) with the name of the Gateway computer on each - maybe a clue there has been some kind of connection?? :confused

jac1791
14-May-05, 14:06
i have been having problems too -- i just set up a new desk top pc upstairs and got a wireless router connected to my main pc downstair -- both pc's have recognised the internet connections but the one upstair one wont connect! help

jambo
14-May-05, 15:47
what windows have u got on computer upstairs.

SandTiger
14-May-05, 16:45
Sounds like your problem lies with the lack of the NetBEUI protocol.

jac1791
14-May-05, 17:12
my pc upstair is on window xp as is down stair

fred
14-May-05, 17:16
I've ran the network setup prog on both machines (using the XP CD on the Gateway) but I still don't have any connection between the 2. I take it I should be able to see the 'other' drive on each machine in Explorer?

Anyone got any hints? :(

No you don't see the other drive in explorer till you have shared it . Open explorer
and left click on the folders you want to share then click on sharing, I don't know if
XP lets you share the entire C drive or not. Then they will show on the other machine under My Network Places in Explorer, if you want them to show as an ordinary drive
then click on Tools then on "Map Network Drive".

First you must determin if you have a network connection. On each machine open a
command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" and make a note of the numbers next to
IP ADDRESS. Then ping the address of the other machine by typing "ping [address]"
and see what it says. If you get a series of response times then you have a connection
and it's your file sharing that needs sorting, if it times out you have no connection.

daviddd
15-May-05, 09:33
Ok thanks for this, how do I know what the address of the other PC is? Is it the 'DNS servers' number? Or the 'DHCP server'? All Greek to me I'm afraid :D

oliver
15-May-05, 11:04
Hi

I hope I can offer some help.
Firstly, remember that wireless connectivity in houses is notoriously variable. Here, when I tried to make one work, the foil-backed plaster board used in the construction acted as a very effective radio screen.
Secondly, look at settings/system/hardware/device manager to make sure your network devices are properly installed - a yellow '!' mark means they are not and you'll need to find the correct driver from the makers website - use the latest drivers for WiFi netwroking. This is important. Also, to share files and folders you must have them set up for sharing. Do this by right-clicking on each file or folder (in windows explorer) and selecting 'sharing and security' this gives you the option of choosing a named for the shared file or folder. Assuming you have created a network with same name on both PCs (I think the default is MS Home) you should be able to see the network by clicking on 'my network places' and 'view network computers' where MS Home should pop up. Clicking this will then show you every PC logged on to the network.
Openning 'network connections' in settings will allow you to see how the network devives are (hopefully) talking to each other and, if not, you can trouble shoot from there.
Finally, remember that XP will only let you share an internet connection across one network medium - using both a cable and the WiFi option probably won't work in my experience. Have you looked at the Dell community forums for help? They are really friendly espcially if you have a Dell machine ;-)

Lastly, partly because of connectivity issues and security concerns, I gave up on the wireless network here and dug out the old CAT5 cables which offer far faster and more reliable connectivity than WiFi. Wireless is fine if you live in a city and can borrow a free internet connection while you have your morning Costa!

Let me know how you get on?
Oliver

fred
15-May-05, 11:20
Ok thanks for this, how do I know what the address of the other PC is? Is it the 'DNS servers' number? Or the 'DHCP server'? All Greek to me I'm afraid :D

The procedure is the same on both machines. Click Start then Run then type in "command"
to get a prompt. At the prompt type "ipconfig /all" to find the IP address for that machine
which should have been assigned by your router. It will be four sets of three numbers
separated by dots. It should be either 172.16.*.* or 192.165.*.* . Then on one machine
type "ping [address of other machine]".

If you don't get a response to the ping disable your firewalls if you have them and try
again..

daviddd
15-May-05, 12:38
Hi

I hope I can offer some help.
Firstly, remember that wireless connectivity in houses is notoriously variable. Here, when I tried to make one work, the foil-backed plaster board used in the construction acted as a very effective radio screen.
Secondly, look at settings/system/hardware/device manager to make sure your network devices are properly installed - a yellow '!' mark means they are not and you'll need to find the correct driver from the makers website - use the latest drivers for WiFi netwroking. This is important. Also, to share files and folders you must have them set up for sharing. Do this by right-clicking on each file or folder (in windows explorer) and selecting 'sharing and security' this gives you the option of choosing a named for the shared file or folder. Assuming you have created a network with same name on both PCs (I think the default is MS Home) you should be able to see the network by clicking on 'my network places' and 'view network computers' where MS Home should pop up. Clicking this will then show you every PC logged on to the network.
Openning 'network connections' in settings will allow you to see how the network devives are (hopefully) talking to each other and, if not, you can trouble shoot from there.
Finally, remember that XP will only let you share an internet connection across one network medium - using both a cable and the WiFi option probably won't work in my experience. Have you looked at the Dell community forums for help? They are really friendly espcially if you have a Dell machine ;-)

Lastly, partly because of connectivity issues and security concerns, I gave up on the wireless network here and dug out the old CAT5 cables which offer far faster and more reliable connectivity than WiFi. Wireless is fine if you live in a city and can borrow a free internet connection while you have your morning Costa!

Let me know how you get on?
Oliverthanks Oliver. I'm hard wired between the 2 machines at the moment having abandoned the wifi for the time being. Could be the plasterboard will be a problem though, and the thick wall of this old house.

Not doing very well though, I can't find the Device Manager as you described it, I can't find a progression of folders like that.

I have placed an image file in the Shared Documents folder on the Dell with the hope of seeing it in the Gateway, but when I try to look in My Network Places on the gateway it won't open and a message "Unable to browse the network......." comes up.

When I look at Network Connections on the Dell, and double click on Local Area Connections I see a pic of 2 computers connected together with a padlock next to the line going into one of them. What's this about I wonder? Or does it always look like that?

jac1791
15-May-05, 14:05
im no further on either!!! HELP

SandTiger
15-May-05, 15:27
Have you read this - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301041&sd=tech

Once done, then run this - https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

oliver
15-May-05, 15:59
To find the device manager click 'start', control panel, system, hardware, device manager - any yellow '!'marks here usually mean there is a driver problem.

When I look at Network Connections on the Dell, and double click on Local Area Connections I see a pic of 2 computers connected together with a padlock next to the line going into one of them.
I've nver come across this symbol before - can anyone help here?
Oliver

SandTiger
15-May-05, 18:10
The padlock indicates that a firewall is enabled.

daviddd
15-May-05, 22:06
To find the device manager click 'start', control panel, system, hardware, device manager - any yellow '!'marks here usually mean there is a driver problem.
Ah, gotcha, no, it's working OK, or so it tells me!

Had enough for today, I'll try again tomorrow, thanks Oliver and others for your valued help. :)