PDA

View Full Version : Extra Funding for Sex Abuse Victims

Shabbychic
21-Sep-15, 14:45
The Scottish Government (http://news.scotland.gov.uk/News/-1-85-million-extra-support-for-sexual-abuse-victims-1cd0.aspx) has announced an extra £1.85 million is to be invested in providing additional support for victims of sex crimes across Scotland.

Every little helps.

cptdodger
21-Sep-15, 16:25
The Scottish Government (http://news.scotland.gov.uk/News/-1-85-million-extra-support-for-sexual-abuse-victims-1cd0.aspx) has announced an extra £1.85 million is to be invested in providing additional support for victims of sex crimes across Scotland.

Every little helps.

I get that and see you have edited your post, but what was the reference to the pigs about ?

BetterTogether
21-Sep-15, 17:48
Probably a reference to an article in the Daily Mail and serialisation of a book.

Funnily enough I watched an interviewing sky news by a man who made a documentary about the club mentioned and he claims the person alleged to have been a member of the club was never mentioned as a member during all his research nor did he uncover any mention of intitiation rituals.

Surprisingly the person who mentioned it claims that someone else has a picture but as always it's the someone knows someone who knows the person who owns the picture and no evidence has emerged.

But it wouldnt be the first time the accusation has been launched at an politician as a pure mischief making exercise with the hope to make them deny it.

cptdodger
21-Sep-15, 18:55
Probably a reference to an article in the Daily Mail and serialisation of a book.

Funnily enough I watched an interviewing sky news by a man who made a documentary about the club mentioned and he claims the person alleged to have been a member of the club was never mentioned as a member during all his research nor did he uncover any mention of intitiation rituals.

Surprisingly the person who mentioned it claims that someone else has a picture but as always it's the someone knows someone who knows the person who owns the picture and no evidence has emerged.

But it wouldnt be the first time the accusation has been launched at an politician as a pure mischief making exercise with the hope to make them deny it.

I've just seen it on the news. I thought it was a bit strange somebody making fun of victims of sex crimes.

I don't care what political party the person belongs to or what post he or she holds, there was no need for that. The person that wrote the book obviously has unresolved issues about not being given a job, but he has just made himself look stupid in the process.

bekisman
21-Sep-15, 20:27

Every little helps.
From your link: "latest recorded crime figures showed that the number of sex crimes in Scotland had increased by 11 per cent in 2014-15."
So it's about time they DID invest extra funds!

BetterTogether
21-Sep-15, 21:02
Let's not forget the SNPs failure to investigate historic sex abuse cases in Scotland.

It's all very well condemning Westminster for every tiny mishap but this is total incompetence.

Inexcusable negligence.

THE Scottish Government ignored calls from one of its own advisers to launch an investigation into a high-profile paedophile ring operating in Edinburgh.
Dr Sarah Nelson revealed five years ago that she had uncovered an abuse network centred on convicted sex abuser Tam Paton, the late manager of the Bay City Rollers.

However, her demands for an inquiry were never followed up - despite compelling evidence that dozens of boys may have had their lives ruined by the twisted pop svengali and his powerful accomplices.

Young runaways or children in care were lured in, drugged and then sexually abused. Many were then forced to work as 'rent boys' at a number of seedy secret flats across the Capital.

The paedophile ring is thought to have operated over several decades and to have included, at one time or another, well-known TV personalities, lawyers and police officers.

Victims were forced to stay quiet by a fear of reprisals, with at least one murder of a young man rumoured to have been carried out by the network.

In a chilling echo of the abuse scandal currently rocking Westminster, it now appears that a dossier of Scottish paedophiles with links to Paton was prepared in 1982 - but never made public.

In 2004, Dr Nelson carried out a study into adult male survivors of childhood sexual abuse on behalf of NHS Lothian - and was stunned to hear so many allegations against Paton.

Her report detailed the existence of a paedophile ring operating across the region, which had resulted in many damaged young men ending up in prison or dying from drug overdoses.

Obtained by the Scottish Sunday Express, it states: "One criminal justice (social work) team reported work with a number of 18-25 year olds, most of whom had been in jail and who disclosed, while reflecting on their violent behaviour or drug misuse, that they had earlier been abused by a particular paedophile ring.

"As workers talked to each other and with staff like homeless workers, they realised that other male clients had been abused in the same way."

In 2009, Dr Nelson carried out a follow-up study and again came across a substantial number of Paton's alleged victims. The age of the victims indicates that Paton's crimes may have continued well into new millenium.

Last night, the University of Edinburgh researcher said: "I have also worked in this field for a long time and I have heard longstanding claims that very vulnerable boys and young men were not only sexually abused by Tam Paton but also that there was a paedophile ring in existence.

"I also heard allegations that some homeless boys were placed in flats in Edinburgh for the purposes of prostitution. Both studies involved young men in the criminal justice system who revealed over time they had been abused by Tam Paton and others.

"These were very, very damaged individuals who had been inveigled into crime as part of this, so they were very reluctant to come forward. They were ashamed to have been abused and they also feared getting into further trouble with the law.

"It is fair to say they were the most damaged young men I ever worked with. The feeling at the time was that this was so blatant and so obvious that there were suspicions he was being protected in high places."

She added: "The boys were frightened, there was an atmosphere of fear around these boys of young men. It is not usually fear that holds them back it is embarrassment and shame, but these young men were frightened of retaliation."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/488484/Why-was-Scottish-Savile-ignored

squidge
21-Sep-15, 22:50
The rise in sex crimes is partly to do with the historic sex abuse cases and the increase in reported sex crimes may be down to the publicity achieved by the high profile cases we have seen over the last year or two. I think that is to be welcomed.

"There has been another rise in sex crimes in the last year, reflecting the general upward trend of the past few years. Police Scotland have made clear around 45 per cent of the increase is due to a rise in historic reporting and may also be down to more victims of current crimes coming forward."
http://news.stv.tv/scotland/1328279-recorded-crime-in-scotland-reaches-record-41-year-low-figures-show/

As far as Historic Child Abuse goes The Scottish Government has been working with Suvivors groups to establish what they wanted to happen as far back as 2010/11. It's important to remember that this issue has to be driven by what survivors want, how those directly affected by these dreadful crimes feel it's best to proceed and not driven by political expediency or will, or some arbitrary time table imposed by politicians.

It was finally agreed with all concerned including police Scotland that there was a need for an enquiry last year, the terms of reference of the enquiry was agreed between all those involved and Susan O'Brian was appointed as chair in May. The last few weeks have seen adverts in Public Appointments Scotland for panel members and the closing date was 28th August for those posts.

These things don't happen quickly I'm afraid and the issues in Scotland, types of abuse, needs of the survivors and of course the legal system may very well be different so we can't simply "tag on" or replicate what is happening in the rest of the UK and given the issues that they have had with the appointment of a chair it looks like the Scottish enquiry might very well be finished whilst the Other has still to start.

You can follow the course of events and consultations leading to the enquiry on the survivors Scotland website. Right back to the time to be heard event in 2011.

http://www.survivorscotland.org.uk

Fran
22-Sep-15, 00:41
Good. I'm very pleased about this.

cptdodger
22-Sep-15, 12:15
That's quite frightening actually, it is evident these "people" were being protected at the highest levels. So that 1.85 million, what is that then - guilt?

BetterTogether
22-Sep-15, 12:59
These things don't happen quickly because those in charge don't want them to happen quickly simple as that. The legal system should not be used as an excuse for paedophiles to hide behind needless layers of nonsense. If the authorities really intended to deal with present and past offenders robustly there should be no place for them to hide. The victims suffer daily so making excuses because Government and legal services want to drag their heels is becoming no more than an apologist.

cptdodger
26-Sep-15, 20:43
I don't know if any of you saw Piers Morgan's Life Stories last night, John Lydon (The Sex Pistols) was being interviewed. An interview he had done on the radio in 1978 was played, it was the first time anybody had heard it because it was not broadcast. As a result of this interview he was banned from the BBC.

"Former Sex Pistols frontman John Lydon has spoken out about being banned from the BBC for comments he made about Jimmy Savile in 1978.

Lydon, better known as Johnny Rotten from his days as lead singer of controversial punk band the Sex Pistols, was talking to Piers Morgan in an interview to be broadcast tonight.
The singer was asked about the former TV host and said Savile was: ‘into all sorts of seediness. We all know about it but we’re not allowed to talk about it’.
‘I did my bit, I said what I had to (but they didn’t air that). I found myself banned from BBC radio for quite a while, for my contentious behaviour. They wouldn’t state this directly, there’d be other excuses,’ Lydon added."

If only somebody had listened to him and acted, it would have saved hundreds of people the pain and damage caused to them by Saville and the rest of them. It is more than clear the BBC were complicit in the cover up.

(http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/25/john-lydon-says-he-was-banned-by-the-bbc-for-speaking-out-about-jimmy-savile-5407268/#ixzz3msJq07UG)