PDA

View Full Version : Ruth Davidson standing up for Scotland's quiet Majority

BetterTogether
14-Sep-15, 12:37
Here's Ruth Davidson answer after the weekends shenanigans.

http://www.scottishconservatives.com/2015/09/ruth-we-will-back-scotlands-quiet-majority/

rob murray
14-Sep-15, 12:43
Here's Ruth Davidson answer after the weekends shenanigans.

http://www.scottishconservatives.com/2015/09/ruth-we-will-back-scotlands-quiet-majority/

She doesnt speak for the silent majority, her comments on Labour are desperate the same as her non party. The Tories have been toxic in Scotland for decades and Ruth Davidson isnt going to make any meaningful headway. BUt as long as she puts the boot into Sturgeon the better. Annabel Goldie was excellent... she had the measure of them, I mind her being interviewed after she stood down and she was quite frank in saying that lots of people agreed with her face to afce but could never bring themselves to vote tory after Thatcher ( ism ) and its impacts on Scotland that aint gonna change ...ever.

BetterTogether
14-Sep-15, 12:50
I think Rob you'll be surprised how people change their views.
Thatcherism was 25yrs ago the constant running down of the Conservative party is somewhat Childish considering how many people vote Conservative in Scotland and also bearing in mind they've been in power up here as well.
The perpetual spreading of some myth that Conservatives are some other breed is nonsensical the reality is most Conservative voters prefer a government that gets on does the job quietly gives people things to aspire to and leaves them alone to live their lives.
It doesn't spend its days wallowing in hand wringing self effacing cringeworthy meaningless speeches on how we should all be glad that there's a social worker, named person, doctor,firefighter policeman and hospital bed waiting for us because we can't be left to live our lives without perpetual state interference.

Why 11 million people voted for the Conservatives well who else could they realistically vote for last time.

Labour controlled by the SNP and Miliband.

Lib Dems a minority party only good to deals with

UKIP who incidentally had twice the amount of votes the SNP did but only gained one seat.

BetterTogether
14-Sep-15, 13:00
Rob I'd recommend you read this article I think you'll find it quite interesting.

It shows how conservatism was falling prior to Thatcherism

http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/38349/1/blogs_lse_ac_uk-The_decline_of_the_Conservative_party_in_Scotland_ has_more_do_to_with_its_own_failings_than_the_rise _.pdf

rob murray
14-Sep-15, 13:08
Rob I'd recommend you read this article I think you'll find it quite interesting.

It shows how conservatism was falling prior to Thatcherism

http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/38349/1/blogs_lse_ac_uk-The_decline_of_the_Conservative_party_in_Scotland_ has_more_do_to_with_its_own_failings_than_the_rise _.pdf

When I was at STrathclyde Univeristy in the late 80's early 90's, the post popular Poltics Phd was broadly "THe deline of the west of scotland working class conservative vote"...then "THe deline of the west of scotland conservative vote"........

BetterTogether
14-Sep-15, 13:13
Well I expect University's to pander to more broadly left wing agendas that's frequently where academics and the young like to lay, theorising about some nirvana which has never existed in the bigger world a large percentage of the electorate have aspirations and don't want constant state interference.

rob murray
14-Sep-15, 13:15
A good read ....would agree with bloew :
Conservatism has failed to invent a new, post-Imperial identity in Scotland. Its English reinvention in the 1980s as a neo-liberal Thatcherite party did not secure consent or support from the Scottish people. Nor did it offer them a new political settlement
within the union. It consequently has almost nothing distinctive to offer in Scottish politics. Toryism is still a toxic brand, ok Thatcher accelerated an already established political demise but come on it may have been 30 years ago since the height of Thatcherism but its seen as part of Scotlands accpepted iconography isnt it ? Generally accpeted, true or not, as causation of the impovershipment and de industrustrialisation of Scotland...hows the song go.....Bathgate no more...Linwood no more etc etc etc thrown in Invergordon smelter no more, Motherwell Steel no more ......whether these ventures could hack it or were lame ducks is immaterial it all happened under Thatchers watch didnt it.......

rob murray
14-Sep-15, 13:19
Well I expect University's to pander to more broadly left wing agendas that's frequently where academics and the young like to lay, theorising about some nirvana which has never existed in the bigger world a large percentage of the electorate have aspirations and don't want constant state interference.

NO you couldnt be more wrong, to a man they were all right wingers.....Tories, party members struggling to deterimine the down fall causations. ie find out a away forward by examaning what they saw as the tory down fall so as to resurrect the party. I dont understand how you can fit in your statement "theorising about some nirvana which has never existed in the bigger world a large percentage of the electorate have aspirations and don't want constant state interference, can you explain the link you are making ie with right wing academics........

BetterTogether
14-Sep-15, 13:19
But the reality is the world was changing any government that was in charge during that period. It's all very well blaming the Conservative govt for the decline of heavy industry but with other countries producing the same items cheaper the writing was in the wall.

rob murray
14-Sep-15, 13:21
But the reality is the world was changing any government that was in charge during that period. It's all very well blaming the Conservative govt for the decline of heavy industry but with other countries producing the same items cheaper the writing was in the wall.

ANd theres the rub isnt it........IM not blaming the tories per se but it happened on their watch and they will always be blamed sorry but mishuided or not thats the facts.

BetterTogether
14-Sep-15, 13:23
I've never met a right wing academic every educational facility I've ever been to has been solidly left wing.

rob murray
14-Sep-15, 13:25
I've never met a right wing academic every educational facility I've ever been to has been solidly left wing.

Then dare I say it youve limited expereince because I was there I, met these people, the PHD supervisors were usually lefties but the students were all right wing to a man, some dodgy right wing characters as well !! George Gallagher, lead singer of 60's pop band The Poets, a Glasgow legend was studying polticis there at the time as an undergraduate i knew him and he had nowt but contempt for the kind of PHS student that strutted about as if they owned the place, not liked at all, arrogant people.

BetterTogether
14-Sep-15, 13:28
Different parts of the country possibly not limited experience.

There are always extremists whether they be left or right wing non are really what society wants or needs.

But the essence of this is would you rather have Sturgeon or Davidson ?

rob murray
14-Sep-15, 13:40
Different parts of the country possibly not limited experience.

There are always extremists whether they be left or right wing non are really what society wants or needs.

But the essence of this is would you rather have Sturgeon or Davidson ?

Agreed on extremists.....STurgeon or Davidson.....neither im afraid, although Davidson is a terrier and full marks for her being tenancious and going for sturgeon, but IM not a conservative and never will be, I want a re invogarated labour and LD, maybe wishful thinking maybe the peple of SCotland are so committed to the freedom stuff that we will be faced with a one party state. I actually worked with Mary Scanlon Tory MSP who tried to convert me to the conservative cause, I actually stood as a conservative candidate in a mock election hustings at Inverness College when I worled there, where I wiped the flooer ( seriousy !! ) with Labour LD and SNP "candidates"...now the point is I played a part, Alan B Stard ( for real ) and had the audienace in the palm of my hand, being a conservative is an easy role to play, just re inforce the suprememcy of markets, how markets give true freedom and any interference in markets is by definition an attack on individual freedom...through in some div ye mind stories....eg mind waiting 6 months before BT / GPO would dain to install your phone..... we are not servants to systems or institutions..... systems do not deterime outcomes...people do....vote for freedom vote conservative....a very easy part to pull off in 1993 thngs would be a damn site harder now faced with zealous yessers Id get thrown out lol lol lol

Point is and I thought long and hard about it...I played a part, I wasnt arguing out of conviction, just played a part...how many others in politics play a part and have no real convicitions ? ONly there for money and ego....the good Doctor ?

BetterTogether
14-Sep-15, 13:46
Alas life summons me shall carry this debate later.Btw you can't dodge the question. So let's broaden it a bit for your comfort.Sturgeon Dugdale Davidson

rob murray
14-Sep-15, 13:54
Alas life summons me shall carry this debate later.Btw you can't dodge the question. So let's broaden it a bit for your comfort.Sturgeon Dugdale Davidson

I never dodged the question my reply was neither, clearly stated my man, broaden for my comfort....you sound like some one else on here !!!!! It has to be Dugdale for me, but to early to say how she will get on, Im resigned to another wipe out next year total SNP majority, so should you, as there maybe a small % increase in Tories but dont look for anything remotedly exciting. My point was how easy it is to play a part, and I wondered at the time how many polticians were playing out a part / role........ so actually as far as Scotland is concerned possibly nobody, as there's hardly anyone of any validity on the go....a dearth of real conviction...Holyrood is a glorified toon cooncil populated by toon cooncilers

BetterTogether
14-Sep-15, 14:26
Oh I'm deeply hurt now if you're referring to who I think you are !

Off to cry in my capitalist cornflakes :0)

rob murray
14-Sep-15, 14:35
Oh I'm deeply hurt now if you're referring to who I think you are !

Off to cry in my capitalist cornflakes :0)

LOl lol lol ...enjoy yer capitalist flakes mate ( I like kellogs ma sel )

BetterTogether
14-Sep-15, 15:57
LOl lol lol ...enjoy yer capitalist flakes mate ( I like kellogs ma sel )Ah the food made famous by seventh day Adventists very wholesome !

Alien Adrenaline Reflex
17-Sep-15, 23:23
who is her silent majority? criminals?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13738934.Police_hand_Ruth_Davidson_details_to_Crow n_after_probe_into_referendum_postal_votes/