PDA

View Full Version : Dog neils clipped

JANJO
12-Sep-15, 14:56
Does anyone know of anywhere that does dog neil clipping , because if i take her to the vets in thurso, they cut off next to nothing and it is a waste of money and time, the only time they did a decent job on them, was when she was sedated during a medicle visit.

cptdodger
12-Sep-15, 20:41
Does anyone know of anywhere that does dog neil clipping , because if i take her to the vets in thurso, they cut off next to nothing and it is a waste of money and time, the only time they did a decent job on them, was when she was sedated during a medicle visit.

Phone the SSPCA along the same road as Dounreay, they clipped my cats claws, not sure if they do dogs or not, worth a try though.

octane
12-Sep-15, 21:09
Suggest you gain some basic knowledge of dogs claws, the vets aint gonna hack them completely off. The pain the dog would feel would be equivalent of someone just ripping your complete nail off. Not a nice experience for the dog and will make it a stressful time if not done correctly.

Keeping them short takes time if left to grow long as the quick will grow with it. Take a little bit at a time, plenty walkies....the quick will recede slowly through time.

It takes weeks to get them to a decent length if left, Ive started doing my own dogs and found shining a torch onto the claw shows up the Quick clearly so I dont nip it when cutting them.

richardj
13-Sep-15, 09:12
Janjo, I use the Thurso vets regularly to cut the claws of one of our collies who for some reason or another has the tendency to grow long nails / claws every 3-4 months. I am very happy with the care and treatment she gets every time and with the reasonable charge for doing this work. Dog claws / nails have blood supply to them and if you cut too short it then starts to bleed which is not pleasant for the dog, so cutting a dog nails too short is just not possible and if the dog has dark coloured nails/claws then the vet has to be very careful not to cut into this part of the claw which has the blood supply.

You can buy clippers for dogs and keep your dogs nails trimmed yourself, however you need to be aware not to cut too short, and depending on your dog personality whether they will stand / sit still for you to do this job. Of course if you do cut into the quick then you also need to know how to stop it bleeding quickly. I prefer to use the vet or someone trained to do this.

A website that explains more on this is https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/trimming-your-dogs-nails