PDA

View Full Version : Bash the Yanks here

scotsboy
17-Apr-07, 16:47
On the subject of Yank bashing – there is one thing they need to be bashed about, Soccer – it ain’t (sic) Soccer, its FOOTBALL. I hear that whoremonger Sepp Blatter is doing all he can to get them another World Cup Finals, NO , NO, NO!! They have no history of football, they have no football culture – keep them out, in fact kick them out of FIFA!!!

quirbal
17-Apr-07, 16:50
yeah let them have their own SOCCER world cup!!;)

sam
17-Apr-07, 16:58
if they refuse to let a country play then how can they possibly call it a world cup?:confused

scotsboy
17-Apr-07, 17:00
Baseball World Series

sam
17-Apr-07, 17:20
Do they refuse to let other countries play in the Baseball World Series, or is it just that the other countries have no Baseball teams?

peter macdonald
17-Apr-07, 17:59
No they let other countries teams in ,,,Canada with Toronto Blue Jays who were recent winners Montreal also had a franchise called the Expos which folded due to lack of support by the public and the local government (who were still paying off the olympic debt!!) There have been rumours about a japanese franchise again but nothing has come off it most japanese for whom baseball is huge identify with Seattle Mariners who have a part Japanese ownership The "world " as in World series is incorrect as it properly called the WORLDS series as in the words of Frank Thomas in the Chicago White Sox victory celebration in 2005: "We're world's champions, baby!"
There is no Worlds series trophy the winners receive the Commisioners trophy which is created new every year
PM

quirbal
17-Apr-07, 18:00
Japan has two professional baseball leagues, the Central and the Pacific.

peter macdonald
17-Apr-07, 18:04
On the subject of Yank bashing – there is one thing they need to be bashed about, Soccer – it ain’t (sic) Soccer, its FOOTBALL. I hear that whoremonger Sepp Blatter is doing all he can to get them another World Cup Finals, NO , NO, NO!! They have no history of football, they have no football culture – keep them out, in fact kick them out of FIFA!!!
Scotsboy come on they had professional leaugues in the US as far back as the 1920s if you want to boot some teams with no football culture try JAPAN and KOREA where the world cup was won (or fixed) Alledgedly !!!!!!!!!!!!! in 2002
PM

quirbal
17-Apr-07, 18:07
Scotsboy come on they had professional leaugues in the US as far back as the 1920s if you want to boot some teams with no football culture try JAPAN and KOREA where the world cup was won (or fixed) Alledgedly !!!!!!!!!!!!! in 2002
PM

Ok ill settle this why dont we just boot-
USA
Japan
Korea
and England:lol:

scotsboy
17-Apr-07, 18:09
No history of football, and no culture of football - I stand by what I said!!

Do you think they will play baseball against the Cubans........I hear they would give them a run for their money.

brandy
17-Apr-07, 18:23
this actually bothers me.
do you know in 30 years i have never heard a bad word said about scots.
not one
every american i have ever met.. and being born and raised in the USA thats quite a few, have always and i mean always looked up to the scottish peoples and respected them.
in fact a large number of americans very proudly dig up any trace of scottish history and wears it like a banner.
I wonder though if they knew how they were scorned and sneered upon by those that they idolised would they care so much?
when i was 8 years old my mom asked me what i wanted to do when i grew up. I told her i wanted to go to scotland and marry a highlander..
if only i knew!
when i was a teenager, i schemed and planned on ways to save money to one day make a lifelong dream come true, and trek across scotland.
i wanted to see her majestic beauty, and strong wonderful people, that had survived such hard and trying times in their past.
i had a great dream of what scotland was.. sadly a lot of times i have been shown that dreams can be very flimsy things.. and what you think something really is, it isnt.
it seems to me , that people here, look at the news and tv, and sterotype america by what they see in the media.
a lot of people whom have never ever left their small corners of the world.
i can tell you truthfully and honestly that the america i come from is nothing like what you see portrayed on the tv.
it saddens my heart that people see what they want to see with no real knowlege and make assumptions on something they really dont know anything about.
( and since you can not portray emotion over the net.. i just want to say this has been written in a very sombre mind.. no sarcasmn or vice intended.)
thank you for taking the time to read this
brandy

peter macdonald
17-Apr-07, 18:27
Good on you Lassie!!!!!!!!!!! Im so pleased to see you write this.But hey Brandy they know it all they have seen it on TV A few snippets on Fox News which with its right wing agenda and penchant for some Texas idiot called Bush shows the US in a bad light and they think its all like that A night out with some of the Michigan Auto workers or some of the New Bedford clam fishermen would surprise a few on this forum . Honest hardworking people who are bothered about how to earn a decent wage and look after their kids the same as us They dont like their kids coming back from Iraq in body bags no more than we do and call their politicians lying prats as we do
Folkies should remember that a heck of a lot of the USA was created by Scots ...the ones that went were ones with cajones and and sense the ones that stayed gave up their counrty and its taken about 300 years to get it back
PM

scotsboy
17-Apr-07, 18:41
Brandy - my post was meant to be light hearted, to try to divert from the "yank bashing" in other threads. I apologise if it caused offence.

johndeere
17-Apr-07, 19:26
Well said Brandy it saddens me sometimes how small minded some of my countrymen are. Why start a thread on bashing any nationality were all human not everybody is perfect, although obviously some people think they are. :roll:

htwood
17-Apr-07, 20:18
Well said Brandy and others. scotsboy, maybe the heading of your "lighthearted" post is one of the reasons some folk don't post much anymore (as an answer to the other post about where everyone has gone to). I logged on, saw 3 headings about yank bashing and said yuck, i dont need this. Just a general feeling, all slagging and bashing and moaning will not endear this wonderful website to anyone.

brandy
17-Apr-07, 20:20
thank you scotsboy for your reply, i am very sensitive at the moment. hard not to be with an idiot like bush in charge and making the entire county look a fool.
*smiles*
its hard a lot of times to tell when people are serious or joking online.

golach
17-Apr-07, 20:25
Well said Brandy and others. scotsboy, maybe the heading of your "lighthearted" post is one of the reasons some folk don't post much anymore (as an answer to the other post about where everyone has gone to). I logged on, saw 3 headings about yank bashing and said yuck, i dont need this. Just a general feeling, all slagging and bashing and moaning will not endear this wonderful website to anyone.
Well said HT, there has been too much of this lately, no wonder your disgusted, I certainly am!!!
The little minded minority who threw their toys out of the pram and left, are few and far between, and when they keep coming back to try and distrup the .Org by this kind of postings.
Stick with it HT I am

quirbal
17-Apr-07, 20:55
There are times when the US quite rightly need to be taken to task, if you want to call it yank bashing then so be it.

I will quantify this by saying that I am quite happy to take any country to task where required.

Angela
17-Apr-07, 21:03

You're absolutely right ht, I wish I'd had the courage to say it!

I'm heartily tired of threads which are rather like watching a game of ping pong, extremely boring to most folk, who don't want to be involved, and so they just switch off, but quite hurtful to other people.

We don't have to think the current Bush administration is the best thing since sliced bread to find this recurrent dredging-up of anti-American sentiment unnecessary and unpleasant. [evil]

I do accept that scotsboy meant the thread as light-hearted, but why give it that title?

Rheghead
17-Apr-07, 21:03

I have no problem with the US hosting another world cup, the 1994 event was a success and well run. Daytime watches can be televised at a reasonable evening time in the UK.

Rheghead
17-Apr-07, 21:07
Ok ill settle this why dont we just boot-.....and England:lol:

Aw c'mon mate, events like that need some comic relief at the very least...

quirbal
17-Apr-07, 21:21
Aw c'mon mate, events like that need some comic relief at the very least...

Have you been watching the cricket as well?

Rheghead
17-Apr-07, 21:26
Have you been watching the cricket as well?

OK, don't rub it in! :D

fred
17-Apr-07, 21:27

I don't see too much bashing of Yanks here. I see a lot of criticism of the American government and their foreign policy, I see a lot of criticism of the British government and their foreign policy too.

As for this thread it's football, something I don't have a great interest in but I understand that what is said about other countries, in particular England, when it is related to football is fair game, there is a mutual rivalry among football fans. When it comes round to World Cup time and all the football threads start appearing I don't bother clicking on them, I keep out of the way and let others have their fun.

As for why some folk don't post here any more I think you would find that that has more to do with other poster bashing than other country bashing, it is the constant personal abuse and criticism of other members of the forum which does all the damage.

I've posted to a lot of forums and I've never seen one which looked out at the world have any problems, it's the ones which look inwards at themselves that die.

brandy
17-Apr-07, 21:29
i dont know if its because im female or american.. but i can not for the life of me understand cricket.. no matter how many times my husband explains it to me. no matter how many times i send him round the bend .. mangling it.. i just can not grasp how it all works..
as far as i get.. a guy bounces a ball.. the batter hits it.. then runs back and forth and hits the wooden thingy.. and then i start to get that dazed look over my face..

Rheghead
17-Apr-07, 21:30
i dont know if its because im female or american.. but i can not for the life of me understand cricket.. no matter how many times my husband explains it to me. no matter how many times i send him round the bend .. mangling it.. i just can not grasp how it all works..
as far as i get.. a guy bounces a ball.. the batter hits it.. then runs back and forth and hits the wooden thingy.. and then i start to get that dazed look over my face..

You can understand baseball, right?

brandy
17-Apr-07, 21:32
yeah i can understand base ball.. and hubby has tried to compare the two.. but they just do not click in my brain

Blast!
17-Apr-07, 21:38
Isn't it funny how a thread like this is seen as lighthearted because it's yank bashing. It seems that because you're bashing the yanks it's all okay...

I'd like to see the reaction if you started bashing another race - black or Pakistani perhaps?

Seems in this country you can slag off anyone....as long as they're American or ginger!

Racism.....that's what it is. And it's sad too see that there's plenty of it this country.

Tristan
17-Apr-07, 21:39
yeah i can understand base ball.. and hubby has tried to compare the two.. but they just do not click in my brain

Baseball is about sitting in the hot sun in The SkyDome, watching the Blue Jays, drinking a frosty cold beer and eating a big salty pretzel.

In 1972 we taught the Russians how to play hockey
In 1992 we taught the Americans how to play baseball :D :lol:

brandy
17-Apr-07, 21:44
starts singing at the tops of my lungs
Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack,
I don't care if I never get back,
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game."

peedie
17-Apr-07, 21:48

i'm totally with you on this one brandy and telling them this is just rounders doesnt sit well with the crickets fans i can assure you (apparently its totally different but i'm sure its the same!!)[lol]

for what its worth i have only ever met 1 american couple in my life time and they were lovely, they sat opposite me on the train and were going to dunrobin for a look very plesent and i enjoyed their company...even if i did have to have a giggle when they asked me if the inverness to wick train was a bullet train :cool:

fred
17-Apr-07, 22:27
Isn't it funny how a thread like this is seen as lighthearted because it's yank bashing. It seems that because you're bashing the yanks it's all okay...

I'd like to see the reaction if you started bashing another race - black or Pakistani perhaps?

Seems in this country you can slag off anyone....as long as they're American or ginger!

Racism.....that's what it is. And it's sad too see that there's plenty of it this country.

Yes what would happen if someone were to say they supported any team that was playing England? But they'd never do that now would they?

What race are Americans BTW?

George Brims
17-Apr-07, 22:36
In 1972 we taught the Russian's how to play hockey
In 1992 we taught the American's how to play baseball :D :lol:
Perhaps soon someone will teach you when and where to use apostrophes?

Tristan
17-Apr-07, 22:58
corrected...one of those nights.

Blast!
18-Apr-07, 14:07
Yes what would happen if someone were to say they supported any team that was playing England? But they'd never do that now would they?

What race are Americans BTW?

Clearly American. Would you not similarly class the Scots as a race?

And I don't particularly support any team that is playing England, i merely don't support them, why should I?

Angela
18-Apr-07, 14:16

I think it's fred you're asking the question of, but for what it's worth -

I would say Scots are a nation, certainly not a race. Americans are a nation made up of different races.

So imo generalised Anti-American pronouncements are xenophobic, but not racist.

Maybe I'm just being picky here of course :lol: I know people use the terms interchangeably sometimes.

fred
18-Apr-07, 14:26

So a negroid American is the same race as a caucasian American?

And I don't particularly support any team that is playing England, i merely don't support them, why should I?

Don't take it so personal Blast, I said "they" not "you".

Mind you it's an easy mistake to make, there seems to be a lot of it about.

MadPict
18-Apr-07, 14:36
I expect blast meant nationality as opposed to race - I'm surprised you didn't figure that out fred....:rolleyes:

brandy
18-Apr-07, 17:00
ummm fred i dont even think negroid is a word.. but the correct term is african american.. as the word negro is very taboo now!

Ojibwa
18-Apr-07, 18:44

Who cares if they gave it a different name, it was probably the Scots who brought it to the states. The culture of soccer is certainly better in North America than it is in Scotland. Here it is about having fun, taking part, keeping fit and active and achieving your own personal best.

The culture of it in Scotland is your either brainwashed to be Rangers or Celtic. I think that whole rivalry thing between the 2 is stupid. And people take it so seriously, I've found that on a whole in North America, all sports are more family friendly.

I know you were probably just joking around, but it is a bit tiresome seeing lots of threads saying Blame the Americans for yada yada yada.:roll:

Ojibwa
18-Apr-07, 18:47
[quote=fred;214002]So a negroid American is the same race as a caucasian America

Negroid ?? Fred , think you're a bit behind the times, who even uses a term like that ?
Fred, check out this link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negroid

Blast!
18-Apr-07, 19:01
Negroid ?? Fred , think you're a bit behind the times, who even uses a term like that ?

Agreed! It's been a while since I heard that term.

scotsboy
18-Apr-07, 19:24
Who cares if they gave it a different name, it was probably the Scots who brought it to the states. The culture of soccer is certainly better in North America than it is in Scotland. Here it is about having fun, taking part, keeping fit and active and achieving your own personal best.

The culture of it in Scotland is your either brainwashed to be Rangers or Celtic. I think that whole rivalry thing between the 2 is stupid. And people take it so seriously, I've found that on a whole in North America, all sports are more family friendly.

I know you were probably just joking around, but it is a bit tiresome seeing lots of threads saying Blame the Americans for yada yada yada.:roll:

Actually I care that it has been given a different name. I agree with you to an extent about the role of football in schools - but diagree with the professional game in the USA - it has no culture.........hence the big investment by US money men in England and elsewhere.

If you don't get football rivalry, you don't get football.

Rheghead
18-Apr-07, 19:43
I have been following the Don Imus furore in the US. He is described as a 'Shockjock' for his type of controversial broadcasting, a sort of pseudo-white supremicist styled radio broadcaster. Ironically, the term 'shockjock' is freely used by Don Imus's critics, little do they realise that the term is equally potentially offensive as Don Imus's 'nappy headed hos'. 'Negroid' would be a term that any self-respecting 'shockjock' would be all too happy to include in their vocabulary....

fred
18-Apr-07, 20:47

Obviously I do, here (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=negroid) are three dictionary definitions of the word. It is an adjective or a noun pertaining to one of the three basic racial classifications. Caucasian which I also used is an adjective pertaining to one of the others.

It was quite clear from the context of the post that the term was used in an anthropological sense, anyone with an IQ larger than their shoe size can see there is no way it could have been taken to have a derogatory meaning, the word is there in three dictionaries, what is your problem?

brandy
18-Apr-07, 20:51
fred, it dosent matter that it is in the dictionary,
in america the word negro is a bad word.

Tristan
18-Apr-07, 21:08
Actually I care that it has been given a different name.

From what I have heard from a very reliable source and a quick scour of the internet is that "Soccer" was originally called "association football" during the formation of the Football Association in England in the 1860s. So the name could have its roots in the UK.

Jeemag_USA
18-Apr-07, 21:51
[quote=fred;214002]So a negroid American is the same race as a caucasian America

I think the term used in this thread was Yanks, and not americans. Yanks or Yankees are pretty much white caucasian from the original 13 State Union. If you go down to Alabama and call someone a yank they will probably laugh at you.

At the end of the day, no group of people from any country deserves to be categorised and bashed. I have lived in the USA for five years and although I am no big fan of their politcal methods or foreign policy, mostly all the people I have met with and become friends with are no different to any other people I have met in any other country or the people I grew up with in Scotland. Its easy for a lot of people to generalise and point fingers even if they don't know any americans. But each to their own :Razz

Jeemag_USA
18-Apr-07, 21:58

I have never known Negro to be a bad word in America, its an old world word its one not oft used any more but I don't think it is classed as being a derrogatory term here? On most sports shows they still refer to the all black professional leagues as Negro leagues, like the Negro Basebal Leagues and so on, they are not censored so I doubt its derrogatory. Neither is Black, and thats what Negro means. Now the 'N' word is an insult if a white person or any other race uses it to a black person in anger but no if a black person uses it to refer to his black friend, a white person can call a white prson nigga and think nothing of it "Whats up my nigga" and hispanics use it too amongst each other. Amongst young people of different races who are good friends will use it as a greeting to each other without malice, its almost as if its becoming a good word for some reason? Its a funny old world.

fred
18-Apr-07, 22:11

There are no bad words brandy, just bad people.

So long as the word negroid is used in its propper context to describe a set of racial characteristics there is nothing wrong with it at all. Look at this google news search (http://news.google.co.uk/nwshp?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wn&q=negroid) and you will see the word used in newspapers from around the world in the past few weeks, including one in America.

fred
18-Apr-07, 22:30
I have never known Negro to be a bad word in America, its an old world word its one not oft used any more but I don't think it is classed as being a derrogatory term here? On most sports shows they still refer to the all black professional leagues as Negro leagues, like the Negro Basebal Leagues and so on, they are not censored so I doubt its derrogatory. Neither is Black, and thats what Negro means. Now the 'N' word is an insult if a white person or any other race uses it to a black person in anger but no if a black person uses it to refer to his black friend, a white person can call a white prson nigga and think nothing of it "Whats up my nigga" and hispanics use it too amongst each other. Amongst young people of different races who are good friends will use it as a greeting to each other without malice, its almost as if its becoming a good word for some reason? Its a funny old world.

Yes it's a funny old world. To me saying that the word Negro, used in its propper context, is derogatory is saying that being black is something to be ashamed of, it isn't, it is something to be proud of.

Let's not forget how much of modern music, jazz, blues, rock, soul had its roots in the negro spiritual.

brandy
18-Apr-07, 22:34
honey, take it from someone that was born and raised in the south. where prejudices run deep still today. whew i could tell you stories just from my own family.
the so called N word is just another form of negro and all its other forms.
my granny use to call black negrra's the thing about it was, when she said neggra or nigger, she never said it in a derogetory way.. that is just what black people were to her.
however, a tone of voice can change the meaning of anything,
and where i come from... saying negro is just the same as the other words.
its a derogetory and disdainfull name.
i come from a land where racial purityis still held in high standards, and the KKK still have a lot of power.
you have the white part of town and the black part of town. and never the twain to meet.

Jeemag_USA
18-Apr-07, 23:11
honey, take it from someone that was born and raised in the south. where prejudices run deep still today. whew i could tell you stories just from my own family.
my granny use to call black negrra's the thing about it was, when she said neggra or nigger, she never said it in a derogetory way.. that is just what black people were to her.
however, a tone of voice can change the meaning of anything,
and where i come from... saying negro is just the same as the other words.
its a derogetory and disdainfull name.
i come from a land where racial purityis still held in high standards, and the KKK still have a lot of power.
you have the white part of town and the black part of town. and never the twain to meet.

Yeah well I live in a predominantly black area of town, my wife is black and all my family in the states is too. The word Negro is not used as an insult anywhere.

Rheghead
18-Apr-07, 23:19
There are no bad words brandy, just bad people.

Please try to differentiate the two. British law consistently makes laws against people like yourselves.

fred
19-Apr-07, 00:53

In this country it's perfectly acceptable to say someone is a Pakistani but the abbreviated form is a term of derrision and shouldn't be used.

Again it all comes down to the context in which the word is used, in the past I've read a few of the speeches of Martin Luther King and I know Negro is a word he used a lot.

Sporran
19-Apr-07, 06:46
I think the term used in this thread was Yanks, and not americans. Yanks or Yankees are pretty much white caucasian from the original 13 State Union. If you go down to Alabama and call someone a yank they will probably laugh at you.

Here's Wikipedia's explanation of Yankee aka Yank:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee

I've been married to a New England Yankee for a number of years, and one of the first things he told me was, "Never call an American Southerner a Yank!"

At the end of the day, no group of people from any country deserves to be categorised and bashed. I have lived in the USA for five years and although I am no big fan of their politcal methods or foreign policy, mostly all the people I have met with and become friends with are no different to any other people I have met in any other country or the people I grew up with in Scotland. Its easy for a lot of people to generalise and point fingers even if they don't know any americans. But each to their own :Razz

I've lived in the USA for a total of 13 years, and I couldn't agree with you more!

Echidna
19-Apr-07, 06:52
Brandy

I believe that good and bad are relative, maybe the intonation or inference may be a guide to this relativeness...perhaps political incorrectness in usage is whats makes a word more good than bad...here in Australia we are no longer politically correct for using Aborigine or Aboriginal, the "correct" terminology is Indigenous. However I have many 'blackfella' friends through my longtime working association in indigenous languages and they certainly don't mind calling me a 'whitefella', or, when they have had a few drinks, certain swear words in their own tongue... The point is, it is all relative to the intent and the reception. I can choose to be offended, or I can take it in a light hearted manner...With ancestors from Scotland, England, Ireland, Canada and NZ, just for starters, I suppose I am just a mongrel Australian!:D

Echidna