PDA

View Full Version : Thurso cinema closed

cazmanian_minx
04-Sep-15, 13:50
Just seen on Facebook :(

https://www.facebook.com/thursocinema/posts/882485005162235?fref=nf&pnref=story
***CINEMA CLOSED***
It's with huge sadness we are forced to announce the Thurso Cinema, Bar & Kitchen will be closed until further notice.
The local cinema team would like to thank everybody for all their support over the last month.
We'll strive to keep you all updated with any further developments.
-The Cinema Team

[/URL]
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/thursocinema/posts/882485005162235?fref=nf&pnref=story#"] (https://www.facebook.com/thursocinema/posts/882485005162235?fref=nf&pnref=story#)

XR2
04-Sep-15, 16:43
This is a shame and a loss to the community, also feel very sorry for the staff they have always been very friendly and pleasant whenever I have been in there!

Fingers crossed something can be sorted to reopen it.

Rheghead
04-Sep-15, 19:29
A big loss to the community. I was in there on wednesday night. Use it or lose it as the saying goes.

davth
05-Sep-15, 00:02
It's the taxpayer that's losing out here.I think that's 4 times we have had a cinema go under now, it clearly doesn't work.

Cattach
06-Sep-15, 09:46
It's the taxpayer that's losing out here.I think that's 4 times we have had a cinema go under now, it clearly doesn't work.

Cinema is a community asset and a facility too for tourists who bring money to the auhrea. Some people cannot see the wood for th trees!

sids
06-Sep-15, 10:14
Use it or lose it as the saying goes.

So, they have failed in business yet again and it's my fault!

Cinema is a community asset and a facility too for tourists who bring money to the auhrea. Some people cannot see the wood for th trees!

If it cannot run viably, it is a liability.

Quite literally.

Rheghead
06-Sep-15, 11:23
So, they have failed in business yet again and it's my fault!

There speaks a person who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.

sids
06-Sep-15, 11:25
They would have got away with it too, if it hadn't been for those pesky customers not existing!

theone
06-Sep-15, 11:59
Use it or lose it as the saying goes.

That's true.

However "obey the law and pay your taxes or get shutdown" might be another.

A real shame for the community. I really hope someone can resurrect the business with a viable business model that for once will work.

squidge
07-Sep-15, 07:36
That's a shame What about taking it over as a community run asset? Not for profit - maybe there is a way to do that- change the business model, include the community in designing what they want from ot. In many cases community enterprises do better. You might find funding available but you would need to get a group together to set it off.

Droopy
07-Sep-15, 09:55
It's such a shame the cinema and associated restaurant is shut.....but reality check here folks.

It's been bankrupt how many times now despite public money being thrown at it time after time with new ideas and all the hollow sentiment that always gets churned out by the quangos when they dish out the cash to yet another expensive project that a real business man wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

The company that owns the building doesn't even try and open a cinema in it, what does that tell you??? They're far better off getting the rent from the quangos that back the crazy idea that a cinema is viable in Caithness.

The people who use the cinema are disappointed but obviously not enough people are using it to keep it open.

Sorry folks, but that's reality.

neilsermk1
07-Sep-15, 12:45
It's such a shame the cinema and associated restaurant is shut.....but reality check here folks.

It's been bankrupt how many times now despite public money being thrown at it time after time with new ideas and all the hollow sentiment that always gets churned out by the quangos when they dish out the cash to yet another expensive project that a real business man wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

The company that owns the building doesn't even try and open a cinema in it, what does that tell you??? They're far better off getting the rent from the quangos that back the crazy idea that a cinema is viable in Caithness.

The people who use the cinema are disappointed but obviously not enough people are using it to keep it open.

Sorry folks, but that's reality. By that token when do we pull the public funding from Eden Court??

midi2304
07-Sep-15, 12:59
By that token when do we pull the public funding from Eden Court??

So you agree with Droopy and think Eden Court should be shut too? I agree with you too. And I say that as someone who was a frequent visitor to the cinema.

theone
07-Sep-15, 13:00
By that token when do we pull the public funding from Eden Court??

Eden court is a community arts venue. Theatre. Opera. That sort of things.

Arts that have traditionally received funding.

I would guess that is the difference.

midi2304
07-Sep-15, 13:06

I would guess that is the difference.

I actually would give Eden Court a pass for exactly these reasons. Eden Court is far from only a cinema.

davth
07-Sep-15, 13:34
its HMRC that has shut it down,
presumably due to taxes owing, you don't pay tax on what you haven't made.
Therefore its poor business management that's the issue here.
And we (the taxpayer) have been ripped off by this cinema once again.

retrodj
08-Sep-15, 14:01
Still can't quite believe that it has closed. Was a good way to spend a Saturday afternoon with the kids. Looking at the other cinema's that are run by the same person, it looks like they are all still open and showing various films... So, is it just Thurso that has had a winding up order?

That means a trip to Inverness just to see the new Star Wars film..:(

badger
08-Sep-15, 15:13
The cinema was like Eden Court as an arts venue when it showed Events - live transmissions of drama, opera and ballet. These were always well attended, unlike the films. So maybe it does deserve funding. Trouble is its in Caithness and neither Inverness nor Edinburgh cares about us.

davth
08-Sep-15, 19:51
The cinema was like Eden Court as an arts venue when it showed Events - live transmissions of drama, opera and ballet. These were always well attended, unlike the films. So maybe it does deserve funding. Trouble is its in Caithness and neither Inverness nor Edinburgh cares about us.

Why would the tax payer fund a business that failed to pay its taxes?

Alrock
08-Sep-15, 20:13
The way I see it...

Tried too much to be like a big city multiplex but with too small a population...

Should have been far less showings, reducing costs & maximising audience for each screening.

neilsermk1
09-Sep-15, 12:34

I would guess that is the difference. My understanding is that the "arts"performances and functions screened at the Thurso Picture house were always well attended. e.g. National Opera and Ballet performances.By that token should the picture house not receive sustained funding paid for from our council tax contributions. Or maybe the "Spirit of Caithness" project could fork out some cash

theone
09-Sep-15, 13:17
My understanding is that the "arts"performances and functions screened at the Thurso Picture house were always well attended. e.g. National Opera and Ballet performances.By that token should the picture house not receive sustained funding paid for from our council tax contributions. Or maybe the "Spirit of Caithness" project could fork out some cash

Perhaps it should.

But I would say there is a difference there in that the arts were 'screened' in Thurso as opposed to 'performed' in Eden Court.

Whether that would influence any decision on funding, I don't know.

davth
10-Sep-15, 07:56
How many of these shows were screened?

neilsermk1
10-Sep-15, 12:18
Not sure of the number in total, but the published programme showed quite a number each month