PDA

View Full Version : Holland advice

Fran
17-Apr-07, 02:32
Might go to holland for a few days, anyone been from Caithness? Is it best to fly from Inverness, go by coach and ferry, which is the best way ? Where is the best place to stay, would appreciate your comments. would be going mid May.

emszxr
17-Apr-07, 08:35
all depends where about in holland you are going.
i have been to holland twice. first time to see motorbike racing up in assen then we went to amsterdam for a few days. my friends motorbike got stolen and our bike nearly got stolen. but it didnt dampen our holiday spirits much. we travelled round amsterdam on the trams. be very careful for pick pockets.
we stayed in a hotel away from the centre.
2nd time was to see the rolling stones in amsterdam. it was great. i really like amsterdam. stayed this time at a hotel near airport. there is trains all day long from airport to the central station.

scotty_mags
17-Apr-07, 09:52
Been to Amsterdam a few times.....Damm Square is something to be enjoyed, especially at night...lots to see and do..
One piece of advice..stay out of the city centre and travel in each day...they have trams that run every few minutes and you can buy ticket by the day or week that gives you unlimited journeys so that you can hope on.off any place you fancy...

Have fun....

Solus
17-Apr-07, 11:11
Fran, i go over 3 or 4 times a year, are you going to Amsterdam ?

Drop me a pm if you like and i can recommend several hotels in and around the city, depending on where you want to be and how close you want to be to the centre.

poppett
17-Apr-07, 19:36
Have sailed Harwich - Hook of Holland then stayed in a hotel on the outskirts of Amsterdam.

Last year flew scarey-jet ...(sorry easy jet) from Edinburgh. Very cheap and quite comfortable. We were met at the airport and driven to the south of holland where we stayed for a week with relatives and visited Rotterdam and the usual touristy things

Flying was the better way, although the time hanging about the airport can be frustrating if you don`t read or do crosswords etc.,

Hope you decide to go and enjoy your trip...the folk are very friendly and all speak English, and if you come from Scotland that is even better as a lot of Scots girls married Dutch submariners during the last war and have brought up families there. There is a very strong Scots church community too.