PDA

View Full Version : Proportional Representation - Yae or Nae?

frank ward
13-May-05, 10:48
So, the Scottish Labour Party is planning to do away with proportional representation.

Could this change of heart be related perchance to the big fall in Labour voters last week?

Do you think that the Scottish system of part-PR and part-FPTP is better than the FPTP (First Past The Post) used by Westminster?

For Info – text of Tommy Sheridan’s Mirror column below.

Daily Mirror column for 12 May 2005

What a mixed bag of emotions. Blair got gubbed, great. The SSP
vote dropped significantly, bad. George Galloway confounded the
pundits to overturn a New Labour clone’s 10,000 majority, excellent.
We now have a new labour government with a working majority of
66 on only 36% of the vote, the lowest level of support in
history. That is worrying. A travesty of democracy even.

Can you imagine the official statements that would be issued
from the world’s “developed Western capitals” if Mugabe in
Zimbabwe was “elected” to office with a clear majority on only
36% of the vote?
The reality of the situation is even bleaker. Sadly only 61% of
the electorate voted. The second lowest in history, up only two
percentage points since 2001. Blair therefore only has the
actual support of 1 in 5 citizens across Britain.

To describe last Thursday as a victory for Blair as some of the
Blair mouthpieces have tried to claim, is delusional in the
extreme. Far too many like Hain, McFadden, McGuire and co. are
obviously consuming too much wacky baccy.
Last week was a bloody nose for Blair and that’s a fact.
Millions analysed the choices and voted for those most likely
to harm Blair while keeping Count Howard and his flock of Tory
vampires at bay.
The Lib Dems and likeable Charlie Kennedy were the main
beneficiaries. The rest of us, including the SNP whose lack of
honesty in the face of a disappointing vote is sad and
immature, were squeezed.

The Lib Dems should make the most of this afterglow. It won’t
last. Their support was built on sensible and just policies
like scrapping the council tax, taxing the wealthy more and
removing British troops from Iraq by the end of this year.
I actually recognise policies like that. They were in the SSP
manifesto. The difference is, we would deliver while the Lib Dems won’t.
Take the abolition of council tax, for example. They waxed
lyrical about the urgent need to replace it with an
income-based alternative. Yet they have been in government for
six years in Scotland and failed to lift even a little finger
to get rid of it. In fact they have regularly voted with Labour
and the Tories to keep it.

In September an actual Bill to replace the council tax with an
income-based alternative will be debated in the Scottish Parliament.
If the Scottish media do their job they will expose the rank
hypocrisy of a party that says one thing during elections but
votes the opposite way when elected.
If the Lib Dems vote against the Abolition of Council Tax Bill
they should be subjected to a 21st century form of public
lashing. Their cuddly and honest image should be ripped to pieces.
Then again, their many friends in the media often conspire to
keep such duplicity from public view.
Overall we have a severely weakened Blair government which will
continue to do the bidding of big business and the rich. We
have an electoral system which is dangerous, embarrassing and
an affront to democracy. We have many battles to defend
pensions, working conditions and public services ahead of us.
Not much has really changed then!

FoosumBrute
13-May-05, 11:27
The Liberal Democrats also seem hell bent on doing away with proportional representaiton - not content with having slept with the Labour enemy iin the current Scottish Parliament, they are now in discussion with switching their whoring to the SNP by forming an SNP / LibDem pact.

If proportional representation is so dear to Screaming Lord Thurso and his mates, then how come they never seem to practice what they preach ?

squidge
13-May-05, 11:55
forgive me but with proportional representation people still need to vote.

Voter apathy needs to be tackled before proportional representation is here with us. I have NO idea what the solution is but it worries me

golach
13-May-05, 11:58
I have NO idea what the solution is but it worries me

Simple make voting compulsary!!

Setanta
13-May-05, 12:14
forgive me but with proportional representation people still need to vote.

Voter apathy needs to be tackled before proportional representation is here with us. I have NO idea what the solution is but it worries me

Is it any wonder there is apathy in Caithness; you would have needed to be from Mars and in a space induced coma not to have known who would have got elected.
Why would the majority of people vote when it is only first past the post? PR gives everyone a chance to have someone represent them in parliament. Look at the figures for the new English government…the minority have spoken.
Doesn’t seem fair to me, bring on PR.

squidge
13-May-05, 12:53
Simple make voting compulsary!!

Nah see people have to be able to excericise their right not to vote too - its not simply a case of make it compulsory. People have to be engaged in Politics - i find it all fascinating but i know many others dont

Zael
13-May-05, 17:20
I dont see a problem with compulsory voting as long as they include a "none of the above" option at the bottom of your voting slip.

Alananders68
13-May-05, 17:38
I dont see a problem with compulsory voting as long as they include a "none of the above" option at the bottom of your voting slip.
:lol: I'll second that.

I have never voted, for the following reasons, a) there has never been a party standing that I would wish to vote for, b) we all know it's a two horse race with either Tory or Labour getting into number 10 and as they are both as bad as each other I think what does it matter which of them get in, and c) you never see an MP winning an election by a single vote, there is usually a fair margin so my single vote is not going to make any difference whatsoever. That is why I don't vote and probably the same reasons why most of those who don't vote don't vote, perhaps if it it was done by PR then I would consider voting.

Donnie
13-May-05, 17:59
:lol: I'll second that.

I have never voted, for the following reasons, a) there has never been a party standing that I would wish to vote for, b) we all know it's a two horse race with either Tory or Labour getting into number 10 and as they are both as bad as each other I think what does it matter which of them get in, and c) you never see an MP winning an election by a single vote, there is usually a fair margin so my single vote is not going to make any difference whatsoever. That is why I don't vote and probably the same reasons why most of those who don't vote don't vote, perhaps if it it was done by PR then I would consider voting.

It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government still gets in.

frank ward
23-May-05, 13:45
There IS a form of proportional representatio, in the Scottish Parliament. Two PR elections have now been conducted since its inception.

PR goes a long way towards ruling out the need for 'tactical' voting, whereby people vote for a man or policies they don't like in order to keep out a man (usually a man!) who they like even less.

The big parties don't like this for obvious reasons. They like to take turns at 'running' British capitalism (or rather pretend to run it) and the arrival of smaller parties is a nuisance for them.

I think people should be very wary of accepting the big parties' plans for reducing or eliminating PR. FPTP voting is usually cited as a means of producing 'stable' government but in reality it is designed to preserve the status quo - identical parties getting to take their turn at the trough.