PDA

View Full Version : R A F Camp - WW2 - Thurso/Wick

Kingetter
16-Apr-07, 17:07
I'm trying to gather information about an Airforce Base located I believe between Thurso and Wick during WW2. I'd like to get details of the base and any information about people who knew it.

Possibly there were Canadians there.

This is all to try and gather information for someone who was at the base during the war and does not do computers etc.

Thanks.

Torvaig
16-Apr-07, 23:22
http://www.caithness.org/wings/freshman/index.htm
Here is some information about Skitten on our very own .org!

Kingetter
17-Apr-07, 02:16
Thanks for that - I was 'there' already, and did Google as well.

I have not yet found the site on a map though.

Thanks.

skidandys
12-May-07, 12:46
Hi there was an RAF AIRDROME at Castletown it was a fighter base but i can remember Canadian airforce trucks passing from Thurso to Castletown as they were billeted at Thurso Castle and i lived between the 2 places.

Bobinovich
12-May-07, 17:55
If you visit the Castletown Heritage Society's website here (http://www.castletownheritage.co.uk/) and click the Castletown Recalls link at the top, there is information (and a downloadble PDF booklet) on the role of Castletown during the war including references to the RAF base there.

On p8 of the booklet there is mention of a member of the Royal Canadian Airforce who was killed shortly after his arrival at Castletown.

Let us know if you find out any more.

MadPict
12-May-07, 23:14
Kingetter,
I have several books about wartime bases - I may be scan relevant pages to help if you want?

Looks like it is Castletown you're after. Canadians moved in there December 1940.

Kingetter
13-May-07, 03:46
Many thanks. I've been offline with problems (not yet fully resolved) so am grabbing a chance to say thanks to all who have helped, before I'm out of contact again.

Thanks all. I have to transmit all info to someone not on a computer.

James.

brew
06-Jun-07, 22:16
Hi, Don’t know if this is any help but I mind my dad telling me that there was a "Fake" Airbase at the top of the Tannach Road, Before the 90 Degree bent at about 3 mile up the road from Haster, in Caithness I know that if you are driving on the road you can still see building. Don’t know if this is what you are looking for,

Kingetter
06-Jun-07, 23:23
Thanks brew, since my last contact, Skitten has been mentioned but maybe there was contact at the time between all these bases anyway.

I've been out to the WW2 Memorial but I don't think there's easy access to the 'field' itself - walkers only and I can't do that now (wheelchair).

Thanks again.

James.

ginajade
07-Jun-07, 17:40
Wings over wick ( I think that is what it was called) a local book, might give you info. think it was the kids from Hillhead who collated info from ex RAF men from all over. It's a few years since I read it.
I do not have a copy but the library might. If I haven't got the title right, I'm sure someone else might know.

MadPict
08-Jun-07, 18:19
Correct on the title - I have this book. Details and more can be found here - http://www.caithness.org/wings/index.htm

Kingetter
30-Jun-07, 18:54
Many thanks for that.

James.

Kingetter
30-Jun-07, 18:56
Thanks so much. Details have been passed on.

Cheers.

James.

DlanoD
10-Jul-07, 16:00
There was even a dummy airport on the coast road just past Lybster which was supposed to direct enemy aircraft away from the main airport at Wick. There are still a few bits of this remaining, e.g. two huts where the guns were placed and the roads are pretty overgrown now but it makes a nice little walk if you are fit.

Kingetter
10-Jul-07, 19:53
DlanoD,

Thanks for your reply and well done - first message here on the org.
I know the general area you refer to but cannot do the walking. Maybe if I knew more specifically where I could get some photos?

James.

fred
11-Jul-07, 00:21
DlanoD,

Thanks for your reply and well done - first message here on the org.
I know the general area you refer to but cannot do the walking. Maybe if I knew more specifically where I could get some photos?

James.

It shows up well on Google Earth, just south of Thrumster.

They say there are many tons of unexploded bomb still burried there, the bombs just hit the soft peat and kept on going.

Kingetter
11-Jul-07, 01:13
Fred,

Thanks for that, though I haven't tried Google Earth.

Did come across this though from here -

http://www.caithness.org/caithnessfieldclub/bulletins/2002/ww2_defences_in_caithness.htm

Some of these locations seem hard to get at if one isn't able to walk much.

James.