PDA

View Full Version : Longannet

piratelassie
20-Aug-15, 15:22
The reason Longannet is to close down is because of UNFAIR transmission charges based on location of generation. Still think we'er better together, No voters should wake up to what is happening and get off their knees. Power generators sited in Yorkshire pay £14m in fees, London power generators get a £4m rebate.If we are BETTER together then for example transmission fees should be equal irrespective of where it is generated.

cptdodger
20-Aug-15, 15:35
What on earth makes you think "no" voters are on their knees ? What a strange thing to say.

And yes, I am wide awake or I would not be able to reply.

Yes we are "Better Together" and always will be.

rob murray
20-Aug-15, 15:48
You may have a point as regards the economics behind the decision, but what has that to do with no voters

rob murray
20-Aug-15, 16:32
The reason Longannet is to close down is because of UNFAIR transmission charges based on location of generation. Still think we'er better together, No voters should wake up to what is happening and get off their knees. Power generators sited in Yorkshire pay £14m in fees, London power generators get a £4m rebate.If we are BETTER together then for example transmission fees should be equal irrespective of where it is generated.

Libraries gave us power
Then work came and made us free
What price now for a shallow piece of dignity

sids
20-Aug-15, 17:35
Longannet is old.

BetterTogether
20-Aug-15, 17:56
Wasn't it Alex Salmond who said Scotland would be the Saudi of renewables? Does longannet fit within the Scottish Governements carbon emissions targets or is a Piratelassie suggesting we keep a big old fashioned hugely polluting power station open. Seems the way the SNP are going there won't be anything but hydro or wind turbines in Scotland so can't see what the problem is if you're an SNP supporter.

piratelassie
20-Aug-15, 18:20
Longannet is due to close in 2020 because of carbon emissions anyway, the point I am making is the unfairness of the present system of transmission charges and anything that is'nt fair should not continue, or is it that because we are nonth of the border we just put up with it. That's another reason we should get off our knees and organise our own affairs.

Wasn't it Alex Salmond who said Scotland would be the Saudi of renewables? Does longannet fit within the Scottish Governements carbon emissions targets or is a Piratelassie suggesting we keep a big old fashioned hugely polluting power station open. Seems the way the SNP are going there won't be anything but hydro or wind turbines in Scotland so can't see what the problem is if you're an SNP supporter.

theone
20-Aug-15, 18:38
It costs more to get a train to Glasgow from caithness than it does to get one to Inverness.

The further you travel, the more it costs. It's the same for electricity.

piratelassie
21-Aug-15, 01:04
How on earth is it the same for electricity, if it's generated in Fife and transmitted to the national grid it's only more expensive for political reasons not practical one's. It's the way it is because of population centres for private profit not for social need.

It costs more to get a train to Glasgow from caithness than it does to get one to Inverness.

The further you travel, the more it costs. It's the same for electricity.

rob murray
21-Aug-15, 09:08
I agree with your point on scoial needs.

theone
21-Aug-15, 15:35
How on earth is it the same for electricity, if it's generated in Fife and transmitted to the national grid it's only more expensive for political reasons not practical one's. It's the way it is because of population centres for private profit not for social need.

Fife is not a huge population centre.

A significant amount of energy 'put in' at Longannet is lost in the power lines before it can be sold.

That is an engineering fact.

Why should national grid be forced to buy energy it can't sell?

BetterTogether
21-Aug-15, 17:15
Longannet is due to close in 2020 because of carbon emissions anyway, the point I am making is the unfairness of the present system of transmission charges and anything that is'nt fair should not continue, or is it that because we are nonth of the border we just put up with it. That's another reason we should get off our knees and organise our own affairs.So it's really nothing to do with keeping the plant open or Westminster really just another reason for you to have a gripe and become outraged and aggrieved over something that was going to happen anyway.

Alrock
22-Aug-15, 00:41
Fife is not a huge population centre.

But it is near the central belt, nearer to everywhere north & quite a bit south of it than London is. So if Longannet closes then the more southern power stations will have to take up the slack & should therefore be charged the same fee as their power would now need to be transported north at great loss.

theone
25-Aug-15, 10:50
But it is near the central belt, nearer to everywhere north & quite a bit south of it than London is. So if Longannet closes then the more southern power stations will have to take up the slack & should therefore be charged the same fee as their power would now need to be transported north at great loss.

That would make sense, but the power is not being 'replaced' by power from down south, Scotland is currently producing more power than it consumes therefore Fife and the central belt will get a lot of their power from up north.

A lot of that power comes from windfarms and renewable energy, which do not have to pay 'feed in tariffs' based on location in the same way Longannet and other conventional power stations do, therefore they are at a commercial disadvantage from the start.

Fulmar
25-Aug-15, 11:08
I believe that the Scottish Government are looking at ways to boost jobs in the locality once the plant closes down and that is a positive at least. I guess no one will be too sorry to see it go as it is hardly a thing of beauty or a joy to behold, except for the loss of jobs, of course, which is bound to have such a severe effect.

weezer 316
25-Aug-15, 11:31
What on earth does that have to do with no voters or the UK?

Correct me if I am wrong but Peterhead, far further north for you Yes voters who dont have the slightest clue about geography of this country or the population distribution, is flying and infact just won another contract despite paying HIGHER tarriffs.

Fact is, SNP energy policy has shut this down, and that's not a bad thing is it? You want a renewable energy supply, this is the consequence.

http://www.thinkscotland.org/thinkpolitics/articles.html?read_full=12796&article=www.thinkscotland.org