PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Flag

scotsboy
18-Aug-15, 07:56
Any news on the winning design?

webmannie
21-Aug-15, 06:48
3 days since this was posted and nobody gives a monkeys...sums it up to me..waste of time and hyped up campaign by the local rag.

Rheghead
21-Aug-15, 16:29
Any design that doesn't have a christian cross on it is fine by me. I'd like a flag that represents Caithness for everyone.

scotsboy
23-Aug-15, 07:32
3 days since this was posted and nobody gives a monkeys...sums it up to me..waste of time and hyped up campaign by the local rag.
Lack of response indicates more the current state of the Org personally.

scotsboy
23-Aug-15, 07:35
Any design that doesn't have a christian cross on it is fine by me. I'd like a flag that represents Caithness for everyone.

Can't think of a Nordic flag that doesn't have a cross. Suppose those countries aren't all inclusive ;-)

scotsboy
24-Aug-15, 10:34

There's another 3 days and it's still at the top of the timeline! The "Org" not even a shadow of what it used to be.

theone
25-Aug-15, 10:52

Maybe we should take the cross back from the christians!

Alrock
25-Aug-15, 18:36
Maybe we should take the cross back from the christians!

That would be like taking the swastika back from the nazis!

Hoggie
27-Aug-15, 12:50

It's a good campaign and when they finally produce the winning design then Caithness will benefit from better visibility, if we use the flag as it can be. It has been a while since the voting closed though: did they employ Sir John Chilcot to count the votes, or are we waiting on the Lord Lyon's office?

As long as it is available in time well in advance of the next holiday season we should not be worried.

BetterTogether
27-Aug-15, 13:14
Probably the last we will hear of it no doubt it will be unveiled in some darkened room surrounded by the usual bunch of cronies who love filling their pockets with public money for attending non events, then sink into obscurity as do most of these debacles.

Hoggie
27-Aug-15, 16:02
Probably the last we will hear of it no doubt it will be unveiled in some darkened room surrounded by the usual bunch of cronies who love filling their pockets with public money for attending non events, then sink into obscurity as do most of these debacles.

Maybe, but it is an opportunity to be grasped. The first county flags were Cornwall and Shetland, followed by Orkney and Devon. We are slowly filling in the gap between!

Local identity is important. I know there are those who say "Thou shalt have no other identity than the Saltire" and try to flatten every local difference to a constructed nationalist model, but we can have our traditions and attitudes, and love all those things which make our corner of the land that bit special. Whether a flag is a thumbs-up or a thumbing-the-nose, it is a badge for Caithness. It will give a bit of local colour, and if it helps to badge Caithness for those furth of the county, so it is not just "the place on the way to Orkney" then there will be economic benefits too.