PDA

View Full Version : Bettyhill Fires

ŠAmethyst
16-Apr-07, 09:40
Hey, I just heard on the radio that there was a forest fire at Bettyhill. I didn't hear how far the fires that started yesterday spread. Does anyone else know how far it spread?

Checked the highlands and island fire brigade website and there was an incident where 50 sq meters was destroyed. Could it have been that one?

Boo me for not watching the news lol.

I hope it was only land that was damaged and nothing and no one else!

Rheghead
16-Apr-07, 09:51
There really should be laws against this sort of thing. I think a grouse shoot is a small sacrifice for the fight against Global Warming.

ŠAmethyst
16-Apr-07, 10:14
I don't think it was intentional. The ground's been so dry for ages - maybe a flung ciggie end started it. Could have...easily!

daviddd
18-Apr-07, 10:28
I would tend to class a 'flung ciggie' as intentional - gross carelessness and stupidity.

emb123
18-Apr-07, 10:33
Most admit I noticed that the sky had a very smoky orange colour yesterday and I remember thinking at the time that it looked like something out out of a Stephen King movie but didn't know anything about the fires. That was as I looked in the Thurso direction however (the opposite direction). Saw a couple of fire engines and still didn't catch on. Will take a look up there later today.

emb123
18-Apr-07, 10:35
I would tend to class a 'flung ciggie' as intentional - gross carelessness and stupidity.
I agree - very stupid. I pointed this out to a vistor the other day that he must make sure his cigarettes are completely extinguished as the fire risk is high and incredibly serious if there were to be one.