PDA

View Full Version : North Coast 500, voted one of the top five coastal drives in the world

Neil Howie
07-Aug-15, 21:52
Hi

lifted straight from BT news page here (http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/north-coast-500-scotlands-answer-to-route-66-voted-one-of-the-top-five-coastal-drives-in-the-world-11363996699608)

I'm not going to copy the photos.

It's worth checking out the comments as (a) they are funny and (b) some complimentary views on staying in Thurso, Wick and environs,

North Coast 500, Scotland’s answer to Route 66, voted one of the top five coastal drives in the world

Scotland’s version of America’s famous Route 66 has been named in one of the world’s top five coastal road trips.
Opened just two months ago, North Coast 500 (http://www.northcoast500.com/home.aspx) – known as NC500 – was designed by the North Highland Initiative and set up by Prince Charles to entice drivers, cyclists and walkers to take in some of the country’s most scenic areas.
The 500-mile route runs to and from Inverness, venturing around the capital of the Highlands, up the West Coast and back via the rugged north coast.

Praised for its ‘rugged romance’, Travel Now magazine voted NC500 the fifth best coastal road trip in the world.
Along the way, the route takes you via the fairytale castle Dunrobin, home to the Earls and Dukes of Sutherlands since the 13th Century…

Alrock
08-Aug-15, 08:20
Great... Now we'll get even more camper vans to get stuck behind on the single track roads... :roll:

cullpacket
08-Aug-15, 08:48
Even better more motorbikes to see and hear ....

Gronnuck
08-Aug-15, 08:55
Great... Now we'll get even more camper vans to get stuck behind on the single track roads... :roll:

Aye..... just the other day we saw a convoy of Italian registered motorhomes heading west. There must have been at least twenty of them, travelling nose to tail; a rolling road block if ever there was one.

davth
08-Aug-15, 08:57
they have as much right to use the roads as you or I.
Think of the boost to the economy with all the fuel they are burning and stuff they are buying.

sids
08-Aug-15, 10:13
they have as much right to use the roads as you or I.
Think of the boost to the economy with all the fuel they are burning and stuff they are buying.

They carry everything with them!

davth
08-Aug-15, 11:22
They carry everything with them!

must have big ol diesel tanks on them, fridge / freezers also.

sids
08-Aug-15, 12:48
must have big ol diesel tanks on them, fridge / freezers also.

Yep.

davth
08-Aug-15, 12:59
Yep.

I challenge you to find me a camper van that could travel from the continent, then do the NC500 and return without refuel
And also one that can feasibly carry all the provisions required for the trip.

Dog-eared
08-Aug-15, 13:09
i counted 17 of them. All Italians doing 45mph. I was glad I was only stuck behind them as far as Forss.

davth
08-Aug-15, 13:13
45mph is a reasonable enough speed to do.
60mph is the limit, not a target

sids
08-Aug-15, 13:15
I challenge you .

The pink Marigold has been thrown down!

davth
08-Aug-15, 13:20
hell no, I wouldn't be able to wash the dishes with a floor soiled marigold.
Anyway have you found a suitable vehicle yet or are you going to admit that your earlier post was BS

sids
08-Aug-15, 14:03
Anyway have you found a suitable vehicle yet or are you going to admit that your earlier post was BS

If you give a toss, Google it. You'll find that a 500 mile range isn't unusual.

davth
08-Aug-15, 14:10
If you give a toss, Google it. You'll find that a 500 mile range isn't unusual.Even if you could find one that could do 500 miles on a fill (350 to 400 miles is average for an 80 litre tank), that would still leave you needing to refuel at least once on the trip

sids
08-Aug-15, 14:22
Even if you could find one that could do 500 miles on a fill (350 to 400 miles is average for an 80 litre tank), that would still leave you needing to refuel at least once on the trip

500 mile road, 500 mile range. They buy diesel at Tesco in Inverness.

davth
08-Aug-15, 14:54
500 mile road, 500 mile range. They buy diesel at Tesco in Inverness.
1. the NC500 is more than 500 miles.
2. even if you can find this 500 mile range camper, the range would be calculated from controlled flat road steady 56mph driving, not on hilly, windy stop / start highlands driving. In reality the range will be much less.
3. they fill up in inverness, perfect for the economy.

sids
08-Aug-15, 15:52
Ok for the Inverness city economy.

And Britain's favourite supermarket.

davth
08-Aug-15, 15:56
except the fact that they will need to fill up midway around the trip

sids
08-Aug-15, 16:33
except the fact that they will need to fill up midway around the trip

There's no fuel for sale there.

davth
08-Aug-15, 16:37
that would depend on where you start from

Bogbrush
08-Aug-15, 16:57
45mph is a reasonable enough speed to do.
60mph is the limit, not a target

Do you mean that I shouldn't aim to be doing 60 by the time I reach the target sign? Always wondered why the plods look at me pissoffedly.

Alrock
08-Aug-15, 18:09
i counted 17 of them. All Italians doing 45mph. I was glad I was only stuck behind them as far as Forss.

You where lucky there, got stuck behind a convoy of 3 all the way round Loch Eriboll cruising at a leisurely 30mph tops...

What happened to all the signs politely reminding slow moving vehicles to allow traffic past, I'm sure there used to be some but there's none now.

davth
08-Aug-15, 18:23
Our overseas cousins don't know the etiquette of single track motoring

Alrock
08-Aug-15, 18:29
Our overseas cousins don't know the etiquette of single track motoring

No etiquette required, just a bit of common sense would suffice.

davth
08-Aug-15, 18:50
No etiquette required, just a bit of common sense would suffice.Hmm I dunnoIf I came across an empty roundabout or motorway having never seen one or been trained on it, I wood be unsure of the procedure.

neilsermk1
11-Aug-15, 12:39
Hmm I dunnoIf I came across an empty roundabout or motorway having never seen one or been trained on it, I wood be unsure of the procedure. Cheez are you for real or just trying a wind up?

Shaggy
11-Aug-15, 17:09
Hmm I dunnoIf I came across an empty roundabout or motorway having never seen one or been trained on it, I wood be unsure of the procedure.

http://forum.caithness.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27320&stc=1

davth
13-Aug-15, 14:39
Cheez are you for real or just trying a wind up?

there are many folk who have been trained on uk motorways and roundabouts that do not know how to negotiate them.
I.e. middle lane hoggers, non indicating people and cutter uppers

hamnat
13-Aug-15, 18:37
They were all shopping in Lidl when I arrived last week, and after I finished my shop they were queued up at traffic lights and filling up in Dunnets.

davth
13-Aug-15, 19:48
There you go then a shot n the arm for the local shops

Eoghan
14-Aug-15, 13:36
Beware the section leaving Lochinver(northwards). The scenery is spectacular but the road is narrow. Ihad to turn back because, perhaps unsurprisingly, a vehicle had goneoff the road! I shall return soon.