PDA

View Full Version : glen golly garden centre

gatekeeper
15-Apr-07, 12:05
does any one know where this garden centre is and what like are they

tenabowla
15-Apr-07, 12:20
About a quarter of a mile past Glengoly on the Calder road. Its good maybe a bit smaller than Castletown centre though.

highlander
15-Apr-07, 14:01
I was out at glengolly last weekend, they did not have very much for sale, and yesterday was at castletown, they had a great selection well worth the look.

laguna2
15-Apr-07, 21:35
We use the Glengolly garden centre and have found that the plants from there are excellent.

The reason there was not a lot on offer this weekend may be that the lady does not put out plants for sale until she is sure that they are hardy enough - last year when I was looking for a certain plant she said that the were still in the greenhouse as there was still a risk of frost.

Working Mum
15-Apr-07, 21:46
Undoubtedly the best plants in the county, many of which are grown by the proprietor who offers expert advice. Be patient, it is Caithness after all and if you put bedding plants out before the 2nd/3rd week in June you may lose them to the cold. I got some spring pansies etc in Homebase recently. They were quite cheap but when I got them home I realised they were tiny and mostly pot bound. Perhaps for a garden in the south of England they'd be fine but not for here!

Rheghead
15-Apr-07, 22:12
I think the Glen Golly garden centre is good and the lady there is friendly and full of advice. The choice is limited due to space but she will order in stuff if you ask. She has been in business for 25 years and I suspect she is looking for retirement in the next few years. She does well to keep it going as it is as I very rarely see anyone giving her help.

Mother Bear
15-Apr-07, 23:17
She doesn't seem to be open every day tho'...I think closed on Weds but you had better check..
more than once I have gone there to find it closed!

zebedy
17-Apr-07, 00:24
She doesn't seem to be open every day tho'...I think closed on Weds but you had better check..
more than once I have gone there to find it closed!

yes wednesday is the only say she is closed!

i used to work there.

Shes a very pleasant lady, and certainly knows her stuff. If anyone would want advice, go to her!

If its closed and you are well keen for knowing something, she only lives like a 17.5 second walk away, the house in the grounds is hers, she runs a B&B there too!

busy lady!

but all in all!

SHINVAL GARDEN CENTRE FOR THE WIN

zebedy
17-Apr-07, 00:26
btw Glengolly is one word!

Scunner
17-Apr-07, 09:00
It is 'Shinval' garden centre. A really good Caithness centre. Prices competitive and really good advice given. Mary is celebrating 25 years in the business this year.