PDA

View Full Version : Street attack trial

Nwicker60
05-Aug-15, 08:51
Victim tells of assault that inflicted a double fracture on him

A YOUNG MAN sustained a double fracture in an early-morning attack in a Wick street, a court heard yesterday.
Luke Sawyer told a jury at Wick that one of his hands was fractured and he had to have a plate inserted in his broken jaw.
Accused of assaulting him, in 2013, are Scott Webster, 19, of Lower Reiss Farm, near Wick, and 21-year-old Ross Bremner, of Myrelandhorn, Kirk, near Reiss.
Both deny on indictment having pulled Mr Sawyer whereby he fell to the ground and repeatedly punched and kicked him on the head and body to his severe injury.
Mr Sawyer, 26, told the court that the incident occurred while he was on his way home on May 5 after post-football match-drinks with his Staxigoe team-mates. There had been some trouble which he described as "a scuffle", a little earlier, after he left the Waterfront nightclub.
Mr Sawyer, who lives in Wick, went on to describe how a car drew up beside him, in the town's Union Street, and the occupants warned him there were "boys chasing him" and urged him to jump in.
He went on: "As I was doing so, I was grabbed by my feet and dragged backwards out of the car. Then I was kicked and stamped on."
Mr Sawyer said that he didn't see who had committed the assault but had observed the two accused in a group when he turned to enter the car.
Mr Sawyer said that the next he remembered, after the incident, was being in the local hospital. He added that his injuries prevented him taking an off-shore job scheduled to start three weeks after the attack.
Cross-examined by solicitor George Mathers, for Webster, Mr Sawyer who admitted to having been "extremely intoxicated" at the time, agreed there had been trouble between him and the accused, some weeks earlier.
Mr Mathers asked: "If we hear evidence that your are a violent character and when intoxicated you are pretty aggressive would you agree with that."
Mr Sawyer:"I don't agree".
Bremner has entered at special defence of self defence. The trial continues today.(Wednesday)