PDA

View Full Version : Wick to Inverness train

dousslesh
04-Aug-15, 18:21
Would be grateful for any feedback re the 8.02 Wick to Inverness train. Have seen there have been a few cancellations of this service recently.
Is this becoming a regular occurrance ?
Need to know as a relative needs to travel on this service on a Saturday in a few weeks time. Sadly if the service is not reliable they whole family will have to cancel their holiday plans as the train is the only travel option for one member of the family.
Many thanks !

Shaggy
04-Aug-15, 18:52
Weekdays haven't been too bad lately but if i were your relation and my holiday depended on it i would be thinking about going down on a Friday and kipping up in the holiday inn or similar. Saturday trains haven't been the best for a long time although they do run.

dousslesh
05-Aug-15, 23:21
Thanks you for info. Shaggy. Not looking good for family visit - for reasons too complicated to go into - travel needs to be Saturday morning.
Thanks again

RN1995
06-Aug-15, 07:50
The bus service would be a quicker, more reliable alternative.

dousslesh
06-Aug-15, 21:55
Thanks. Personally I would always use the bus if possible as you say at least it is reliable
- unfortunatly bus service not a option due to disability and other health problem/ issues.

pat
06-Aug-15, 23:20
Go into the Scotrail office in Wick or Thurso or speak to staff on train to advise you wish to book seats on the train and that part of the party have disability issues and are unable to travel by bus, email Scotrail to advise of your situation re disability and the frequency the train has been cancelled and you wish to check whether this train will actually be operating throughout the complete service - not have a bus covering their inability to run the correct service.
Ask for an answer in writing - email preferably, remember you can claim for late running of trains now!

dousslesh
07-Aug-15, 16:55
Thanks Pat - Very helpful advice - will give it a go !

Fran
07-Aug-15, 19:09
Pat always gives good reliable advice

laguna2
21-Aug-15, 07:41
No train this morning so scotrail paying for taxi to Inverness!!!

r.rackstraw
21-Aug-15, 21:46
Spoke to an overseas visitor who had a bad experience this morning. Early train did not turn up at Thurso. No information at station. Taxi turned up, said train not coming to Thurso. Taxi unable to take all waiting passengers to Georgemas. Visitor followed taxi to Georgemas and saw train leaving. Had to drive to Helmsdale and got on train there. One very unhappy visitor.

Fran
21-Aug-15, 23:55
That will cost about £300

bagpuss
22-Aug-15, 11:54
In an ideal world that line would run down the East coast and take no longer than two and a half hours and more of us would use it. Worst case scenario would be pulling it and replacing with only buses.