PDA

View Full Version : KonMarie

bagpuss
31-Jul-15, 22:41
I've recently become a devotee of the amazing guru of tidying up. This isn't about minimalism but about looking at the stuff in our lives ranging from paperwork that is long out of date, to clothing that no longer fits. If it doesn't spark joy, then you thank it for its service and send it on its way through selling it, or recycling, or donating. The next stage after that involves learning how to store what you keep systematically. This saves a huge amount of space. Look for her videos on YouTube - it really is life changing. If we all have a go at this- and donate to local charities helping young folk starting out with very little, it will give all of us a warm and happy feeling.

Fulmar
01-Aug-15, 08:43
It's not rocket science, is it? If you are a woman running a household and with a family you are pretty much doing this all the time! Also, older folk often want to 'get rid' simply to make it easier for their family when they pass on. Personally, I don't buy things or clothes that I don't actually need and I wear out the clothes I do have to an extent that they can only go for rags. But if treasured things, maybe inherited from grandparents etc and with memories attached are part of your life then I see nothing wrong with that. I am in that position and as I know my kids won't want the few things I have, I had them valued so that anything (not many) that are worth a few quid will be recognised. Some people like the minimalist look, others do not- it can look stark and barren in my eyes and not homely or nice to live in. That is my emotional response to places that are too tidy anyway. What are you going to do with the extra space in that corner by the door, unless you enjoy just walking through it perhaps or swinging your arms about?