PDA

View Full Version : Caithness flag

garble
31-Jul-15, 16:11
Just read on 'e Groat website that voting has closed on the Caithness flag entries. Whilst I support having a flag for the county, it seems strange that despite "The campaign and public competition received support from almost every organisation in Caithness" there were only 600 votes cast?? Either there is vast support or there isn't!

sids
31-Jul-15, 17:58
Just read on 'e Groat website that voting has closed on the Caithness flag entries. Whilst I support having a flag for the county, it seems strange that despite "The campaign and public competition received support from almost every organisation in Caithness" there were only 600 votes cast?? Either there is vast support or there isn't!

It's not very important.

Bogbrush
31-Jul-15, 19:01
To be honest, I thought all the offerings were pretty awful. They looked like quick mock-ups on a PC.

theone
01-Aug-15, 01:04
Does anyone know who, or how many people contributed to the designs?

It looks to me like they were all designed by the same person.

All 4 options used the same choice of colours, and 3 of the 4 have the same image of a boat.

webmannie
01-Aug-15, 11:40
All 4 were created by the flag committee, their interpretations created by using parts from various submissions.

Interestingly it is also my understanding that the newspaper refused to publish a letter complaining of this fact and that one of the advisors recently produced similar flags for another town competition. The resemblance is remarkeable, but the public won't get a chance to see this coz the paper doesn't want to tarnish their flag campaign, note the use of 'their'...

bigmac
01-Aug-15, 19:17
what happened was the committee decided that the entries were not good enough so they robbed bits from some of them and came up with their own entries saying we need a boat in the flag, joe public thinks they areare rubbish and wrong in what they did, sounds like there is an entry for the gala in there somewhere for next year

sids
01-Aug-15, 20:44
Soon forgotten, I expect.

davth
01-Aug-15, 22:52
Who really gives a toss about the Caithness flag.I believe wick is thinking of utilising one that the USA have recently retired

sids
01-Aug-15, 23:25
Who really gives a toss about the Caithness flag.I believe wick is thinking of utilising one that the USA have recently retired

Stars and Bars!

Droopy
02-Aug-15, 18:23
I tend to agree with some of the posts on this thread that the whole flag thing has been a woeful desperate campaign that the Groat/Courier has desperately tried to give the impression that anybody gives a hoot.
All 4 designs are crap in my opinion and even if a tremendous one was unveiled, what's the point of it?
No doubt the Groat will have one flying above their advertising and sales building in Wick to commemorate them destroying the Wick gala forever in the name of sensational trashy journalism.

scorrie
02-Aug-15, 20:15
The choices were uninspiring, three of the four were virtually the same design. I voted but got mixed up and went for UKIP

I couldn't give a monkeys to be honest but if I had had the opportunity to design a flag I would probably have gone with an extended middle finger, next to a Gollywog and the words "Nae Hairm Meant Ya Bass"

sids
02-Aug-15, 20:25
The choices were uninspiring, three of the four were virtually the same design. I voted but got mixed up and went for UKIP

I couldn't give a monkeys to be honest but if I had had the opportunity to design a flag I would probably have gone with an extended middle finger, next to a Gollywog and the words "Nae Hairm Meant Ya Bass"

Something like the Corsican flag?

http://previews.123rf.com/images/poupik/poupik1306/poupik130600175/20459977-Corsica-Flag-Stock-Photo.jpg

Alrock
02-Aug-15, 21:44

Here You Go...

Do Not Click If Easily Offended (https://thepsychedelicsewingroom.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/caithness-flag.jpg)

Hoggie
23-Sep-15, 18:02
The Groat said that the winner would be announced in August, and we are nearly at October. I expect that the council are hoping for a big launch and are still trying to book a venue / celebrity / nosh-up / day when it's not raining. Either that or it is still going through the paperwork in the Lord Lyon's office. The shortlisted designs look a bit mashed up, but a thumbnail on a computer screen is not the best place to appreciate a flag. I'd like to see the winner on a ten-foot cloth in a stiff wind: that's the real test. When it finally emerges, whichever it is, is anyone up for taking the county flag up Morven? There's someone who does that with all the counties.

Hoggie
23-Sep-15, 18:04
Does anyone know who, or how many people contributed to the designs?

There were 326 entries. (I entered one. It wasn't shortlisted though.)

rimajo
24-Sep-15, 16:29
Actually, We thought every one of the choices were being quite terrible. These people looked like fast mock-ups over a PC.http://wigunpics.science/11/g.png

badger
28-Sep-15, 17:26
It was a shambles as the final designs were not from those submitted but were mocked up by the Panel. Makes you wonder why they bothered with the "competition".

scorrie
09-Oct-15, 22:19
Here You Go...

Do Not Click If Easily Offended (https://thepsychedelicsewingroom.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/caithness-flag.jpg)

That flag would have won but sadly it will be "Bland, generic urine number 3" that probably wins.

Rheghead
09-Dec-15, 21:16
Seemingly the new Caithness flag will be unveiled on 26th January???

tonkatojo
09-Dec-15, 21:40
Seemingly the new Caithness flag will be unveiled on 26th January???

A right honorable day to to do it too.

Hoggie
10-Dec-15, 14:42
Whey-hey! I was beginning to think it had got lost in someone's in-tray. January is time enough for using it to promote tourism. I was hoping to take it up to the summit of Morven, but I'm not sure we'll have the weather for it on the day.

garble
26-Jan-16, 17:21
New flag has been unveiled and a short video on the Groat website

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/Home/

Hoggie
27-Jan-16, 08:05
It's a beautiful flag and rooted in an existing local symbol (not as pretty as my entry in the competition, grumble, grumble). It think it will be just the thing to arrest the eye and help not only local pride, but also to bring visitors to stop and look about them. Caithness need not be just the place you go through on the way to Orkney.

It has already started popping up on the Net as our badge, as in:

http://wikishire.co.uk/wiki/Category:Towns_and_villages_in_Caithness
http://wikishire.co.uk/wiki/Caithness

The flag has been flying over some of our castles too (there will be pics on the web soon I expect).

Hoggie
27-Jan-16, 08:15
In fact, comparing it with all the other existing County flags (http://wikishire.co.uk/wiki/British_flags#County_flags), it is outstanding.

davth
27-Jan-16, 10:08
What a complete and utter waste of my money. The fact that we are the only county with a flag says it all really.
The money would be better spent on repairing our roads, cutting verges or keeping the streets clean.

eipi
27-Jan-16, 10:30
I was interested to know more about the connections between the type of boat shown, described as a galley, and Caithness. Does anybody know?

Hoggie
27-Jan-16, 11:05
What a complete and utter waste of my money. The fact that we are the only county with a flag says it all really.
The money would be better spent on repairing our roads, cutting verges or keeping the streets clean.

Not the only one: forty-one counties have flags, including Orkney and Shetland.

If just a few families each year passing through see the flag flying from a tower and realise that Caithness is a place of itself, and stop to have a look around and start spending in our shops instead of haring off to the ferry, the little money involved will have been paid off several times over, and it may prompt the council to repair the roads for them too.

Alrock
27-Jan-16, 11:34
So... Where can I get one of these flags?

davth
27-Jan-16, 14:24
Not the only one: forty-one counties have flags, including Orkney and Shetland.

If just a few families each year passing through see the flag flying from a tower and realise that Caithness is a place of itself, and stop to have a look around and start spending in our shops instead of haring off to the ferry, the little money involved will have been paid off several times over, and it may prompt the council to repair the roads for them too.

Strange that, I could've sworn there were only 33 counties in the country, of which only 3 have flags.
By far the best one of those is Shetland.

I would doubt if a single family will decide to stop off in Caithness due to the fact we have a flag.

cullpacket
27-Jan-16, 17:08
Captain Pugwash they nearly got it .....

Rheghead
27-Jan-16, 17:15
Poor choice. A flag should represent all of us. This does nothing of the sort. It has a christian symbol and the ship doesn't look very viking to me.

theone
27-Jan-16, 18:08
Poor choice. A flag should represent all of us. This does nothing of the sort. It has a christian symbol and the ship doesn't look very viking to me.

I agree with that. The need to add religious symbology in this day and age escapes me.

Alrock
27-Jan-16, 18:40
Going by the sentiment on this thread it looks like I might draw a big crowd for the flag burning when I track one down to burn...

sids
27-Jan-16, 19:12

Of course it represents all of us. Anyone can go on a boat.

Gronnuck
27-Jan-16, 19:18
A truly hideous flag with a black background, probably in recognition of the blackness of deep depression settling in over Caithness.

golach
27-Jan-16, 20:08
Whats up Rheg. are there no christians in Caithness these days? I am led to belive its a Nordic Cross, I quite like the flag.

bekisman
27-Jan-16, 20:59
Nordic Cross, like this one?: 28759

Shaggy
27-Jan-16, 21:14

Of Course it represents all of us Rheghead. It will be shown off with pride when i wash my old banger with it. Just hope the dye doesn't run and streak my paintwork :-)

scorrie
27-Jan-16, 22:36
It will be shown off with pride when i wash my old banger with it.

Is that a euphemism?

If so, Isn't a flannel and a bar of Imperial Leather good enough for a quick "dicht" of the nether regions these days?

Kevin Milkins
28-Jan-16, 03:06
So... Where can I get one of these flags?
I was at the council service point in Wick today paying my poll tax and a guy came in looking for Caithness flag, I was about to send him out to Spittal quarry when the lass announced that they have the flag in stock. (I kid you not)

Bystander1
28-Jan-16, 08:01
I understood that all citizens who had not paid their Poll Tax had been given a free pardon by the Gubmint. Obviously not the case in Wickj

davth
28-Jan-16, 09:55
I understood that all citizens who had not paid their Poll Tax had been given a free pardon by the Gubmint. Obviously not the case in Wickj

Which was a disgraceful decision aimed solely to gain votes in the referendum, encouraging tax evasion whatever next.

Well done Kevin on paying your dues, albeit belatedly I hope you paid the interest also

Alrock
28-Jan-16, 11:21
I think you'll find that some people still call the "Council tax" "Poll tax"...

Probably also people out there that still call it "Rates"

bekisman
28-Jan-16, 11:49
Spent some time over on Orkney, still seems that Norway is not happy with the flag that Orkney uses - maybe someone on here from Orkney can comment, and wonder if the Caithness Flag will be accepted by the Nordic Nations, or some disquiet from further north?