PDA

View Full Version : Sky Package

poppett
12-Apr-07, 19:42
Advertised in the "Sun" on Saturday was a package with Sky for £26 per month for the Sky installation and everything except modern movies and sport plus broadband supposedly 8 gb plus talk free evenings and weekends.

The house we are moving into has no tv reception whatsoever even with a loft aerial so we have no option but to have Sky if we want tv as a digibox won`t work either.

Calls the set up centre only to find that the broadband only works so many metres from the telephone exchange (so unless you live above Maggie Anne`s chipper you have no chance).....BUT we can offer you broadband for £17 per month as an add on!

Wait for it!!!!!!!!!! Sorry but the free calls evening and weekend are not a certainty I have to phone them a week after set up date which isn`t for another fortnight then they will tell me if I qualify for the free calls or not.

Customer Service .....ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Well they have me over the same barrel as bt do over having a phone line connected and basically that is megabucks too. Need the phone to get Sky need Sky to get tv. Personally I could live without both, and would just to prove a point.

Anyway Sky`s loss is bt`s gain in a way as bt tried to sell me the together package with the free evening and weekend calls, but I stuck with landline only as I thought I would get the Sky talk deal. I called bt today and explained the reason why I wanted to change and the lady said no problem and the call centre had been inundated with similar calls since this latest sky promotion.

Is this misleading advertising? Anyone else had similar problems with Sky?

footie chick
12-Apr-07, 22:12
Avoid Sky at all costs.

Customer service is alien to Sky [evil]

poppett
13-Apr-07, 07:07
Footie Chick, Whilst I quite agree and would happily have done without tv and rely on the org for my entertainment and knowledge the other half would have a fit if he couldn`t watch his soaps.

Basically to have any tv reception whatsoever we must have a sattelite dish=sky....Likewise phone line=BT It is about time we had some alternative.

When we stayed in Edinburgh we had Telewest who provided landline and calls, also cable tv and whilst their service wasn`t the best you could at least reason with them....At sky it was obvious the guy was reading from a crib sheet and if you weren`t asking the next question on his sheet you got the answer to the question you should have been asking ..not the one you did.

I think there was a Two Ronnies comedy sketch in similar vein many years ago.

stratman
17-Apr-07, 13:35
Someone posted on the org a while back that if you have a sky box without the card you can recieve freeview. If this is true, a second hand setup may be the way to go. I will try to find the posting. May be worth a chat with your TV shop.

stratman
17-Apr-07, 13:43
I wasn't quite right but the thread is here.http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=22395 It is reply 7. May be worth giving EMSZXR a pm. Please let us know what can be done.

poppett
17-Apr-07, 19:27
We did try my pop`s old sky box and it gives some channels on freeview and BBc 1 & 2 also ITV but no channel four or five. Have borrowed a box to try in case pop`s was faulty but still the same result. Our freeview box doesn`t work either, so we are stuck with Sky like it or not.

Hope it works for someone else.

poppett
16-May-07, 16:40
Sky have now admitted they can not provide the sky, surf and call package in Caithness as the exchange has not been upgraded, however for an extra nineteen pounds a month I can have broadband with them. The reasons why I can pay extra but not have it within the package has still not been properly explained however when I threatened to cancel the order I was passed to a customer adviser who managed to reduce the cost of the package to £15 which is more appropriate value for money.

So far it is working ok. It all goes to show that it pays to complain.