PDA

View Full Version : Sanctimonious and Hypocritical Council

Loafer
12-Apr-07, 09:49
The council has just come round and cut the area of grass outside our house. I was in the shower when they started and wondered if it would be collected unlike last year when it was left lying. WRONG!! Same as usual.

Last week a sticker was put on top of our wheellie bin saying "Stop, Can It Be Recycled?". Now I don't claim to be an expert on recycling, but I do know that I always put my cut grass in my brown bin and the collectors have never refused to take it away.

My wife phoned the council last year and was told that the machine with the collection bin on it was broken. Are the spare parts coming from Mars?!

I contacted my local councilor about it but he didn't even afford me the decency of a reply. That's another of the many reasons he won't be getting my vote this year.

It's a simple case of don't do as we do, do as we say.

Finally a funny point. To prevent any grass being left on the pavements and roads, there was a second guy going around with a garden blower to blow it back onto the grassed area. What a joke!!!

The Loafer

Geo
12-Apr-07, 10:35
It's not like it's plastic or other messy rubbish. The cuttings will just break down back into the ground and probably act as a fertiliser for the grass.

Rheghead
12-Apr-07, 10:46
I wish the council wouldn't mow the grass outside my house because I put a lot of wildflower seed down a couple of years ago and it was a great show until they come. :(

Having said that, if I wanted the cut grass to be collected then I would pick it up myself but heck, it will all mulch down eventually.:Razz

Billy Boy
12-Apr-07, 15:21
Finally a funny point. To prevent any grass being left on the pavements and roads, there was a second guy going around with a garden blower to blow it back onto the grassed area. What a joke!!!

The Loafer

maybe next time the guy will blow it into your garden instead of the grassed area, then you would have something to moan about lol :Razz

Royster1911
12-Apr-07, 19:31
It's not like it's plastic or other messy rubbish. The cuttings will just break down back into the ground and probably act as a fertiliser for the grass.
This is true but only if the grass was reasonably short when its cut. In school football /playing fields, this is normally not the case. The grass lies in piles and starts to rot from within. This, as I am sure many a mother will tell you, does not look nice, smell nice or clean very easily.

Geo
12-Apr-07, 19:49
I know what you mean but I don't give it a second thought. Just part of playing on grass.

Loafer
12-Apr-07, 20:15
This is true but only if the grass was reasonably short when its cut. In school football /playing fields, this is normally not the case. The grass lies in piles and starts to rot from within. This, as I am sure many a mother will tell you, does not look nice, smell nice or clean very easily.

Good point about if the grass is short. It was at least 10 inches long and is now lying in stinking bundles. If there are any farmers out there that need a bale or two, PM me and I will give you my location!

The Loafer