PDA

View Full Version : Rhubarb recipes?

Angela
11-Apr-07, 19:25
I love rhubarb tarts, rhubarb crumble, rhubarb fool.....but wonder if anyone has a recipe for something different? Since it's the rhubarb season now....:)

Is it just me that finds after typing it a few times "rhubarb" looks a very odd word [lol]

Buttercup
11-Apr-07, 21:44
Apart from the dishes you mention my favourite has to be Rhubarb Sponge (a variation on Eve's pudding).The only other things I've made with it is Jam & Chutney. But I'm also open to suggestions.:D

Angela
11-Apr-07, 21:55
Must say I hadn't thought of rhubarb sponge, Buttercup, I can give that a try....maybe there isn't anything else you CAN do with it, I just like it so much....:roll:

Buttercup
11-Apr-07, 22:03
Just remembered that I made a Rhubarb Sorbet (Water Ice) at one time ~ now I wonder where I put the recipe? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_12.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYAXGB)

Buttercup
11-Apr-07, 22:06
And how could I forget the Rhubarb Wine ~ delicious!

sassylass
11-Apr-07, 22:28
slice it very thin crosswise and stew it with sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice mmmmmmm

marlyn
12-Apr-07, 08:51
Hi, is there any chance that you could maybe post a recipe for rhubarb jam and also your recipe for the sponge idea.

I love rhubarb and we planted some in the garden last year so I am looking forward to my first harvest.

Uli
12-Apr-07, 12:08
Two of my favourite rhubarb recipes from Northern Sweden...

Rhubarb diluting juice (also great for mixing drinks)
300 to 400 ml water
One kilo Rhubarb (approximately 2 pounds)
Caster or granulated sugar.
Boil the water.
Cut the rhubarb in small pieces and add them to the boiling water. Let the rhubarb boil for approximately 10 minutes.
Line a sieve with a clean dishtowel and put above a good sized bowl. Add the rhubarb to the sieve and leave the liquid to drip out of the mixture for half an hour to an hour.
Pour the juice from the bowl into a pot, making certain to measure the amount of juice.
Boil the juice and add the sugar. Count on 300 ml sugar for every 500ml of juice.
Boil until the sugar has melted and the juice is clear.
Pour into clean bottles and seal them. Keep the diluting juice cool.
To serve dilute the juice in cold water according to taste.
It is a great and refreshing drink during warm summer days and I know me and all my cousins loved it when we were kids.

Creamed rhubarb
Serves 2 to 3
2 to 3 stalks of rhubarb.
200 ml water
50 ml sugar
1 ½ tablespoon cornflour.
Cut the rhubarb into small pieces.
Boil the water and sugar.
Add the rhubarb to the water and leave to boil 4 to 5 minutes or until the rhubarb has gone soft and somewhat ‘liquidy’.
Mixthe cornflour with a little bit of water and carefully add to the rhubarb while stirring until the mixture is about the same consistency as porridge.
Pur rhubarb into serving bowls, pour cold milk around it and enjoy.
Breakfast or afternoon treat of childhood.

I also know I have had rhubarb meringue pie at some stage but I can’t remember who made it so can’t steal the recipe.

Thought some other rhubarb lover might enjoy trying those.

poppett
12-Apr-07, 14:57
When I was a little poppett we grew rhubarb. Mum cleaned and stewed it with sugar every Sunday throughout the season and we had it hot for pudding with rice or custard, the rest went in a bowl in the cool coal shed (no fridge) and we ate a few spoons every day as a "treat"....By the end of the week it was almost like jam. The last drop on Saturday was spread over sliced swiss roll or madeira cake, custard on top of that and there it is ..... InstantTrifle....serve hot or cold

Buttercup
12-Apr-07, 17:49
Rhubarb Jam
2lb sugar to 2lb rhubarb + juice of 1 lemon.
Wipe rhubarb and cut into 1" lengths put into a glass/plastic bowl and sprinkle over the sugar add the lemon juice and leave overnight. Next day, tip into large pan and bring to boil. Boil rapidly till thick. Skim, pot and cover. You can add ground ginger/grated fresh ginger and/or ground cloves to taste before you sprinkle on the sugar if you like for variety. (Ground cloves can be overpowering so be sparing with it)

Rhubarb Sponge
Cut rhubarb into small pieces and put into an ovenproof dish (add small amount of ground/fresh grated ginger if you like it) and sprinkle with sugar - the amount depends on how sweet you like it.
Beat together 2oz sugar and 2oz marg, when light and fluffy add 1 egg and 1 tbsp water/milk then beat in 2oz self raising flour. Cover the rhubarb with this mixture. Sprinkle top with sugar and bake at 170 till golden (about 20 minutes). Ground ginger can be added to the sponge mix for variety. Serve with cream or custard. (It can also be made using stewed rhubarb).Quantities can be doubled up for serving 4 or more.
I've been known to make up double the sponge mix and put half into a greased (lasagne type) dish and put some rhubarb that's been left overnight covered with sugar and/or ginger on top then cover with remaining sponge mix. Bake, as above, leave until cold then cut into slices. Lovely with a cup of tea.:D Fresh apple slices lightly sprinkled with sugar can be used instead with cinnamon in place of the ginger.

Rhubarb Meringue Pie
Just put some stewed rhubarb into a cooked shortcrust pastry case and cover with meringue. Bake in a cool oven till lightly browned.

marlyn
12-Apr-07, 21:32
Ooooh cannot wait - come on rhubarb grow!!!

Thank you.

cliffhbuber
12-Apr-07, 21:57
Thanks for the rhubarb recipes. Great stuff!!!!
Won't let all the stalks go to waste this year.
(A caution for those with gout - rhubarb is high in uric acid)

poppett
13-Apr-07, 06:59
Which variety of rhubarb do you use/like best...My favourite is the Champagne variety ....it is very red and very slim and not so many stringy bits as traditional british rhubarb. It`s also an early variety. The more common rhubarb freezes quite well so it is available all year round, but if you get the chance to taste the champagne variety you will probably be a convert.
Did you ever get a paper bag with some sugar or icing sugar in it as a child and dip a stick of rhubarb in it to eat like a sweetie? Pure MAGIC !!!!!!!! Kids nowadays don`t know what they are missing.

Dreamweaver
06-May-07, 16:43
Oh poppet you just remided me - I used to stick rhubarb in a bag of sugar, I'd forgotten that! These recipes are great. I usually do a rhubarb and goosegog crumble as we have loads of both but I'm dying to try the rhubarb sponge now.

Tugmistress
06-May-07, 17:08
Make a Jam roly poly, but replace the jam with rhubarb, it's scrummy :D