PDA

View Full Version : How much would you pay for rehersal space?

the_big_mac
11-Apr-07, 11:54
How much would you fork out for a private rehearsal space where you could come and go as you please (within reason!)?

Would you consider paying more if it was somewhere where a PA and Drum Kit was set up and waiting?

How would you pay, subscription or per session?

Would you even consider renting a space long or short term where your own gear is kept under lock and key and it is your rehearsal space?

And, lastly, is there anywhere else in the county doing this?!

Jeemag_USA
11-Apr-07, 13:35
For an empty room that is kept warm if its cold and has some electricity to it, i would look to spend anywhere between 10 pounds and hour, if you have a large band obviously having PA and drums already set up saves a lot of hassle and i look to be paying maybe between 15 to 25 pounds per hour.

Its a difficult question, a lot of young bands obviously need practice to get gigs, already working on a shoestring, coming up with money to practice is not easy and really if your preparing for gigs you need to be practicing at least 6-8 hours a week before weekends, only in my opinion though, I know some bands who practice more than that.

moncur
11-Apr-07, 13:38
Started off practicing in our former singers' band room at his dads workplace. twas ideal most of the time as we turned up whenever and left our stuff setup.

back in the days of yore, when ye olde viewfirthe was open, Duress used to practice there for £10 a time during the weeknights or at weekends. Was VERY good price i thought plus we could leave our gear locked in the cupboard for months on end. Would have been better if we could leave it all setup but it was better than nothing I thought.

Once it shut, we started looking into renting a space where we'd have our own room and our own key where we could practice whenever we liked plus nobody else could come in to disturb us or 'borrow' equipment etc. wasnt too sure what the price was but sure it was going to be reasonable. unfortunately that fell through.

Luckily, being the charity case that we are, we managed to pull a few strings and now have a place to jam on weekends where we can leave our stuff setup for a couple of days at a time. But still itd be nice to have a place to call our own.

My plan long term is to buy a house, build the mother of all sheds (I mean, who needs a lawn anyway?) out back and insulate it with old mattresses egg boxes etc etc and get an electricity supply installed but that is but a dream and so far far away lol

K dragon
11-Apr-07, 15:00
plus you need planning permission which will most likely be denied.

moncur
11-Apr-07, 16:35
plus you need planning permission which will most likely be denied.

Ah hah! not for a shed though! I watch Property Ladder quite a bit and if its just a shed then it doesn't require planning permission. Plus i doubt there'd be any objection, either the neighbours let me build a jamming shed or i'll turn my spare room into a jam room. The neighbours would sooner have it that i practice in a place which isn't attached to their house.

K dragon
11-Apr-07, 17:34
hmm didnt know that.

Jeemag_USA
11-Apr-07, 21:43
Ah hah! not for a shed though! I watch Property Ladder quite a bit and if its just a shed then it doesn't require planning permission. Plus i doubt there'd be any objection, either the neighbours let me build a jamming shed or i'll turn my spare room into a jam room. The neighbours would sooner have it that i practice in a place which isn't attached to their house.

Word of advice for you, don't buy a house thats attached to someone elses ;)

Deemac
11-Apr-07, 23:24
Apparently if your a farmer you can build a shed where ever you like without any permissions!! (as long as its for agricultural purposes - so, yes sir the chickens like to lay eggs to the sound of my heavy metal band in the evenings . . . . o yes they will also be releasing a CD shortly!!!):eek:

I built my studio 6 meters from the house so only required a building warrent (no planning permission etc - you still get inspected etc.)