PDA

View Full Version : Oil

piratelassie
19-Jun-15, 01:11
Why do some people think that Scotland's finances are so dependent on oil. Oil is a fantastic comodity for any country to own. Admittidly the high prices may be over but at $60 a barrel, would be a tidy sum in Scotland's coffers. Incidently oil has always been a bonus.

sids
19-Jun-15, 06:43
My bonus was money, this year.

davth
19-Jun-15, 07:10
In order for us to take $60 bbl into the "coffers" the oil price would need to be at something considerably more than current levels.

BetterTogether
19-Jun-15, 08:19
Why do some people think that Scotland's finances are so dependent on oil. Oil is a fantastic comodity for any country to own. Admittidly the high prices may be over but at $60 a barrel, would be a tidy sum in Scotland's coffers. Incidently oil has always been a bonus.

It's probably down to SNP forgetting then Oil Industry is one of Scotland 3 major industries.

No ones ever claimed Scotland is dependent on Oil Revenue but by the way SNP supporters wailed and moaned about it you'd think it was a major economic issue.

I'm now reassured that it's no more than a Bonus and you won't have to join in future discussions on the subject.

rob murray
19-Jun-15, 11:16

You are in denial.....they are, "we" dont own oil and at 60 /65 dollars the tax take will be a hell of a lot less than at higher prices eg 110 dollars a barre,l which blows apart scottish government sums re FFA and tax revenues, killed stone dead . Of course oil has always been a bonus...no oil = no oil jobs so yes your spot on, from that point of view oil is a bonus...and we would have been snookered without it, can you imagine Aberdeen and the east coast from Fraserburgh down to Montrose if there was no oil.... Key facts : see http://www.oilandgasuk.co.uk/employment.cfm

The industry provides employment for around 440,000 people across the whole country:

The exploration for and extraction of oil and gas from the UKCS accounts for around 340,000 of these, comprising:

32,000 directly employed by oil and gas companies and their major contractors
207,000 within the wider supply chain
100,000 jobs supported by the economic activity induced by employees’ spending.

In addition, a thriving exports business is estimated to support a further 100,000 jobs.

Whilst the oil and gas industry provides work across the whole of the UK, Scotland benefits the most with 45% of jobs. 21% are in South East England, 6% in North West England, 5% in West Midlands and 5% in Eastern England.

rob murray
19-Jun-15, 11:27

Read this...its from the Financial Times.....not some on line SNP propoganda troll.....

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d97d49ce-877d-11e4-bc7c-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3dPxNw6Wy

rob murray
19-Jun-15, 11:29
It's probably down to SNP forgetting then Oil Industry is one of Scotland 3 major industries.

No ones ever claimed Scotland is dependent on Oil Revenue but by the way SNP supporters wailed and moaned about it you'd think it was a major economic issue.

I'm now reassured that it's no more than a Bonus and you won't have to join in future discussions on the subject.

Not wholly dependant on oil.....but it is a major economic contributor...........a very good additional economic bonus....Aberdeen and the east coast without oil....would be like Caithness if there was no Dounreay

piratelassie
20-Jun-15, 02:29
45% of jobs, I should damn well think so, It should have been 100% of jobs.

You are in denial.....they are, "we" dont own oil and at 60 /65 dollars the tax take will be a hell of a lot less than at higher prices eg 110 dollars a barre,l which blows apart scottish government sums re FFA and tax revenues, killed stone dead . Of course oil has always been a bonus...no oil = no oil jobs so yes your spot on, from that point of view oil is a bonus...and we would have been snookered without it, can you imagine Aberdeen and the east coast from Fraserburgh down to Montrose if there was no oil.... Key facts : see http://www.oilandgasuk.co.uk/employment.cfm

The industry provides employment for around 440,000 people across the whole country:

The exploration for and extraction of oil and gas from the UKCS accounts for around 340,000 of these, comprising:

32,000 directly employed by oil and gas companies and their major contractors
207,000 within the wider supply chain
100,000 jobs supported by the economic activity induced by employees’ spending.

In addition, a thriving exports business is estimated to support a further 100,000 jobs.

Whilst the oil and gas industry provides work across the whole of the UK, Scotland benefits the most with 45% of jobs. 21% are in South East England, 6% in North West England, 5% in West Midlands and 5% in Eastern England.

davth
20-Jun-15, 07:12

Interesting point.
You think that only scots should be employed in the oil industry?
What about the Southern Sector assets?
With that racist attitude there would have been no oil industry in Scotland.

BetterTogether
20-Jun-15, 08:19

I'm sure that would go down well with the transnational companies who employ them.

Sounds like some kind of apartheid you want.

sids
20-Jun-15, 08:27
I'm sure that would go down well with the transnational companies who employ them.

In the Balkans, they called it ethnic cleansing.

davth
20-Jun-15, 08:57

I am looking forward o racistlassie's defence on this one

http://media.giphy.com/media/1pILujB60Ccgw/giphy.gif

piratelassie
21-Jun-15, 22:44
Again the point I'm making, if it needs explaining, is that Scotland's Oil revenue should and could be going to Edinburgh. Who is emoloyed offshore as far as I am concerned can be 100% English as long as the tax money comes to Scotland.

In the Balkans, they called it ethnic cleansing.

sids
22-Jun-15, 06:42
Again the point I'm making, if it needs explaining, is that Scotland's Oil revenue should and could be going to Edinburgh. Who is emoloyed offshore as far as I am concerned can be 100% English as long as the tax money comes to Scotland.

Thanks. Yes, it needed explaining.

davth
22-Jun-15, 07:59

that's not what you said here, piratelassie

rob murray
22-Jun-15, 12:50

A bit of common sense here...when oil was discovered in the North sea no British and certainly no scottish companies had all the expertise required to extract the hyro carbons off shore......so how did "we" get the stuff out...well lets guess that people / companies outwith with the UK with expertise got involved....The first oil was brought ashore by an American company, Hamilton (http://forum.caithness.org/cabinetpapers/help/glossary-h.htm#Hamilton), in 1975.

davth
22-Jun-15, 12:57
Well I guess, outsiders would be OK.
But only if they have Scottish heritage and certainly no English blood in them!!

theone
22-Jun-15, 13:01
Who is emoloyed offshore as far as I am concerned can be 100% English as long as the tax money comes to Scotland.

But it wouldn't.

Because in the EU you pay income tax where you live, not where you work.

rob murray
22-Jun-15, 13:22
Well I guess, outsiders would be OK.
But only if they have Scottish heritage and certainly no English blood in them!!

Im only trying to be polite in responding...its scotland oil.....so did scotland have the expertise to bring it to the surface........I guess the answer has to be 100%...no ! Immaterial anyway, as scotland back in the day was part of the UK....so Oil is a a UK resource...and of course Scotland still remains part of the UK which obvioulsy sticks in the throat of many people who voted no ! PL...dont you know that your party policy is "to increase Scotland’s working age population in order to promote economic growth. It commits the Scottish government to matching “average European (EU15) population growth over the period from 2007 – 2017” and states that an independent Scotland would use immigration as one of the major levers to increase the country’s population........lets just gently point out that you are out of step with your parties migration intent !!!

rob murray
22-Jun-15, 13:25
In order for us to take $60 bbl into the "coffers" the oil price would need to be at something considerably more than current levels.

Yep oil leaders now accept a price of 60 / 65 dollars....top line for the fore seeable future, from that price comes off the operating costs...hence the direve to crate operating effeciencie .....so not a hill of beans left for tax revenues eh !

davth
22-Jun-15, 13:36
Im only trying to be polite in responding...its scotland oil.....so did scotland have the expertise to bring it to the surface........I guess the answer has to be 100%...no ! Immaterial anyway, as scotland back in the day was part of the UK....so Oil is a a UK resource...and of course Scotland still remains part of the UK which obvioulsy sticks in the throat of many people who voted no ! PL...dont you know that your party policy is "to increase Scotland’s working age population in order to promote economic growth. It commits the Scottish government to matching “average European (EU15) population growth over the period from 2007 – 2017” and states that an independent Scotland would use immigration as one of the major levers to increase the country’s population........lets just gently point out that you are out of step with your parties migration intent !!!

I think you are out of step from my sarcasm!

rob murray
22-Jun-15, 13:58
I think you are out of step from my sarcasm!

Nah...I got it lol lol lol ......

scorrie
22-Jun-15, 20:54
A bit of common sense here...when oil was discovered in the North sea no British and certainly no scottish companies had all the expertise required to extract the hyro carbons off shore......so how did "we" get the stuff out...well lets guess that people / companies outwith with the UK with expertise got involved....The first oil was brought ashore by an American company, Hamilton (http://forum.caithness.org/cabinetpapers/help/glossary-h.htm#Hamilton), in 1975.

In the 1970's Comedy "Porridge", the Scottish prisoner McClaren claimed it was "Scotland's Oil" but was told by Fletch (Norman Stanley Fletcher) that it was "English Expertise" that would bring the oil ashore. Both lags turned out to be wrong but it shows that, 40 years ago, the comedy writers were more savvy about the practicalities than some present day contributors to the argument.

piratelassie
23-Jun-15, 00:08
The way whisky is selling we could live on that revenue alone.

golach
23-Jun-15, 07:46
The way whisky is selling we could live on that revenue alone.

All whisky sold for export is sold duty free, therefore no revenue such as the revenue on oil. So if you get independence (God forbid) England will be laughing, they will be buying all their whisky duty free.
90% or more of the Scotch Whisky industry is foreign owned, mostly Japan, USA and France, guess where the profits end up.

BetterTogether
23-Jun-15, 08:33
The way whisky is selling we could live on that revenue alone.Just like Oil, whisky sales are down oops guess that doesn't make you quite so happy !

linnie612
23-Jun-15, 08:57
The way whisky is selling we could live on that revenue alone.I would suggest a fair amount of this is being consumed when you write some of these daft posts!

davth
23-Jun-15, 09:35
I would suggest a fair amount of this is being consumed when you write some of these daft posts!

I should imagine Piratelassie would be a fan of Sailors Rum rather than Whisky

weezer 316
23-Jun-15, 10:07
Im pretty sure the vast majority of the whisky revenue actually goes south. Diageo for example have about 45% of the market. They are based in London.

I think we shoudl stop picking on pirate lassie its pretty clear she hasn't the foggiest about whats going on with this stuff.

Scout
23-Jun-15, 12:13
I think what people are getting crossed wired in Scotland, they think that companies and workers who pay tax in Scotland is then shared in Scotland only, that is wrong it all goes to Westminster and all tax collected through UK is then shared out through other parts of UK, However you soon will see what it be like from only tax collected from Scotland will be used in Scotland, that is why tax will go up. Land reform will bring back sporting tax, this is only start, the problem will be if goes up too much many businesses will shift south for better tax.

rob murray
23-Jun-15, 13:10
I think what people are getting crossed wired in Scotland, they think that companies and workers who pay tax in Scotland is then shared in Scotland only, that is wrong it all goes to Westminster and all tax collected through UK is then shared out through other parts of UK, However you soon will see what it be like from only tax collected from Scotland will be used in Scotland, that is why tax will go up. Land reform will bring back sporting tax, this is only start, the problem will be if goes up too much many businesses will shift south for better tax.

Assuming Scotland gets independance and with the hole in public finances caused by low oil prices, taxes will have to rise or services will be cut..... then you are spot on, if England has lower taxes then businesses / new opportunities will go there. A hard fact.

Redsnapper
23-Jun-15, 14:20
What I can't understand is. If oil is just about finished, then why are the oil companies investing millions on ugrading Sullom Voe ?. Answer please Rob since you seem to know so much about everthing

Scout
23-Jun-15, 14:39
What I can't understand is. If oil is just about finished, then why are the oil companies investing millions on ugrading Sullom Voe ?. Answer please Rob since you seem to know so much about everthing It is like Wind farms, there are projects in pipeline even when sub are going to be cut, the investment they have put into projects can not be written off by all and need to continue.

Scout
23-Jun-15, 14:42
Assuming Scotland gets independance and with the hole in public finances caused by low oil prices, taxes will have to rise or services will be cut..... then you are spot on, if England has lower taxes then businesses / new opportunities will go there. A hard fact. Infact you do not need to wait for independance, Scotland will get tax raising powers soon and this will give you good idea how it will be if we did go independance.

rob murray
23-Jun-15, 15:00
Infact you do not need to wait for independance, Scotland will get tax raising powers soon and this will give you good idea how it will be if we did go independance.

Hell, thanks.... I forgot all about tax powers comming up...yur right there though it will give us a good idea !

davth
23-Jun-15, 15:11
What I can't understand is. If oil is just about finished, then why are the oil companies investing millions on ugrading Sullom Voe ?. Answer please Rob since you seem to know so much about everthing

Because there is a massive oil field West of Shetland.

rob murray
23-Jun-15, 15:19

Me ?? I dont know so much about everything far from it.............see above...developments west of shetland ?

piratelassie
24-Jun-15, 02:32
I get the impression that most of the comments on this subject " me thinks they object too much" comes to mind.

sids
24-Jun-15, 06:30
I get the impression that most of the comments on this subject " me thinks they object too much" comes to mind.

Close.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_lady_doth_protest_too_much,_methinks

The lady doth protest too much, methinks

rob murray
24-Jun-15, 16:40

Actuallywhat come to my mind is...Highway 61, way south of the highway at that

rob murray
25-Jun-15, 09:43
oh................................................ ......................

weezer 316
25-Jun-15, 13:59
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11009868_907609192631405_149758667981069801_n.png? oh=053041c541e823a31f9145cef112bc68&oe=56249F0B

Pretty damning. SNP spending plans were set at scenario 3 if I rememeber correctly.

Remember we already have a bigger deficit than the UK. Bridging that gap just to the predicted oil income would be like the UK govt borrowing and extra £70bn ON TOP of our current borrowing every year.

Game set and match. Monumental bullet dodged.

rob murray
25-Jun-15, 14:19
I know but for some the earth really is flat......as long as we are "free" it doesnt matter if we are broke, freedom first.....

bekisman
29-Nov-15, 23:27

"Good to read that the energy company TAQA have said "This latest discovery proves that the North Sea still has great potential". This is really good news" .#1 Feb 2013 (your quote)

bekisman
12-Dec-15, 15:23
Oh no it's not it's $37.00 a barrel

rob murray
12-Dec-15, 16:40

Yep and fuel at the pump will soon be less than quid a litre !

golach
12-Dec-15, 16:44
Yep and fuel at the pump will soon be less than quid a litre !
It is in Edinburgh, in Asda, Morrisons and Tesco £0.99.9 , but still £1.03 at Esso

rob murray
12-Dec-15, 18:11
It is in Edinburgh, in Asda, Morrisons and Tesco £0.99.9 , but still £1.03 at Esso

The only truth in politics is people will vote based on the strength of the economy. Crumbling communications infrastructures undermine the economy. Failing to maintain/safeguard the economy means the beginning of the end for the SNP. ( Oil is a bonus....yeah ? cheap oil / fuel a bonus for drivers )

Pomp, bombast, and vacuous hubristic proclamations have no economic substance or significance.

The state of the economy will reveal all.

Alien Adrenaline Reflex
12-Dec-15, 20:19

but it was 60$ back in june when the post was made. good read here about the current state of oil prices http://oil-price.net/en/articles/syrian-war-oil-prices-and-paris-attacks.php

rob murray
12-Dec-15, 20:37
but it was 60$ back in june when the post was made. good read here about the current state of oil prices http://oil-price.net/en/articles/syrian-war-oil-prices-and-paris-attacks.php

Well done an excellent article that illustrates the volatile geo politics of oil brilliantly and which effects the entire world, just shows how non nonsensical Salmon et all's oil fiscal predictions were in indy refer 2014......of course the article wasn't on wingsoverscotland which make it unbelievable....and according to some "oil is a bonus"..shows you how myopic and economically illiterate they are eh ?