PDA

View Full Version : Is the EU a threat to Democracy

BetterTogether
18-Jun-15, 09:54
A quick link to an interesting speech given by Jacob Rees Mogg at the Oxford Union about how the EU is a threat to democracy.

I appreciate its 13 mins long and a man in a fancy suit with a plum in his mouth but he puts his points across most eloquently.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vUKjTPPcOdQ

rob murray
18-Jun-15, 10:07
A quick link to an interesting speech given by Jacob Rees Mogg at the Oxford Union about how the EU is a threat to democracy.

I appreciate its 13 mins long and a man in a fancy suit with a plum in his mouth but he puts his points across most eloquently.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vUKjTPPcOdQ

Come on...............look closer to home !!!

BetterTogether
18-Jun-15, 10:11
Now what could you possibly mean by that. LoL

rob murray
19-Jun-15, 14:39
Ok good to see Sturgeon fighting the corner to get the voice of all UK devolved administrations heard in EU situation : EU arguement / future must involve all and if one doesnt vote for withdrawing come the referendum then I agree that the UK must stay in, all in or all out....we cannot have 1 nation, say England voting to pull out and others voting to stay in, and on that basis pull out....thats hardly fair !

BetterTogether
01-Aug-15, 11:02
This is a great quote from a man who although I'm not generally of the same political views seems to have hot the nail on the head.

Sgitheanach
01-Aug-15, 11:47
The EU is just an other way for Berlin to gain control of Europe without needing to invade anyone

tonkatojo
01-Aug-15, 12:09
Ok good to see Sturgeon fighting the corner to get the voice of all UK devolved administrations heard in EU situation : EU arguement / future must involve all and if one doesnt vote for withdrawing come the referendum then I agree that the UK must stay in, all in or all out....we cannot have 1 nation, say England voting to pull out and others voting to stay in, and on that basis pull out....thats hardly fair !

Hang on, is the UK a democracy run by Westminster where regional MPs sit and debate then vote on these matters, or have I got that wrong ?.

theone
03-Aug-15, 09:42
all in or all out....we cannot have 1 nation, say England voting to pull out and others voting to stay in, and on that basis pull out....thats hardly fair !

One vote per person. The majority win. That's how a referendum works. If the Yes campaign had won a majority in the independence referendum across Scotland as a whole, but the majority of Caithness voted no, would Caithness have stayed I the UK whilst the rest left?

I actually find it quite amusing this assertion that the people of Scotland have a vastly different view on the EU than the English. I think percentages for yes and no will be quite similar across the UK.

If anything, I would guess that regardless of the SNP official line of staying in the EU, the sentiment of separatism that the independence debate cultured within SNP supporters may well see a large number of them voting to leave the EU.

Fulmar
03-Aug-15, 11:32
I absolutely agree. The Scottish Government keep banging on about Scots clamouring to remain within the EU but where is the evidence for that? I think you are right in saying that the 'yessers' and 'no-ers' in the EU refendum will be similar in all parts of the UK and my absolute wish and hope is that the results will be broken down for each country in the UK for all to see.

rob murray
03-Aug-15, 13:28
I absolutely agree. The Scottish Government keep banging on about Scots clamouring to remain within the EU but where is the evidence for that? I think you are right in saying that the 'yessers' and 'no-ers' in the EU refendum will be similar in all parts of the UK and my absolute wish and hope is that the results will be broken down for each country in the UK for all to see.

I doubt very much that even if UK votes to get out of EU, another indy ref will be held precisely on the grounds stated above....the timing isnt right