PDA

View Full Version : Assault alleged

Nwicker60
10-Jun-15, 07:25
Woman thought she was going to die

A THURSO woman told a court that she thought she was going to die during an attack she alleged was carried out by her boyfriend in her home.
Marwin Roberts claimed that William McPhee grabbed her by the throat causing her to make "funny noises" and added that she thought she was drawing her last breath.
Ms Roberts told Wick Sheriff Court, yesterday, that immediately after the incident, McPhee declared his love for her.
McPhee, 52, of 1 Trostan Road, Thurso, denies on indictment, asssaulting Ms Roberts at her home at 29 Henderson Street, Thurso, on June 2, last year, and has entered a special defence of self defence.
Ms Roberts, 52, told the jury that she was sitting listening to music in her living room when the accused arrived at her house in the early hours. They chatted for a while but an argument developed with McPhee repeatedly calling her "a f****** grass".
She told the jury: "His voice was getting louder and I was beginning to get a bit scared".
Ms Roberts said she tried, unsuccessfully, to usher McPhee out of her house because she had been having a peaceful night and didn't want him disrupting it.
She went on: "He was pushing me and eventually I fell backwards. I landed on the living room floor knocking one of my teeth and then he sprang on me like a monkey, sitting astride of me and had his knee on my shoulder pinning me down. He grabbed hold of me by the throat. I was making funny noise... I thought I was going to die. I thought it was my last breath, it was horrible. I was devastated and didn't expect anything like that to happen. I was trying to get Billy off me and struck him once of the forehead."
Ms Roberts said that McPhee got up and she recalled screaming at him to get out of her house or she would call the police. She added she pushed him towards the door and after he left, she sent a text to her daughter but it took some time to compose as she was tearful.
Ms Roberts told the court that she sustained brusing to her throat and back and had to have an emergency operation to have a tooth removed but didn't want to report the incident to the police. However ,her neighbour made contact with Womens'Aid who considered her to be at risk and got in touch with the police.
Cross-examined by solicitor Patrick O' Dea, Ms Roberts said that she had not left out anything significant in her evidence, adding "I always tell the truch".
The trial continues.

I