PDA

View Full Version : Post Office sell off.

piratelassie
05-Jun-15, 01:46
I see there are plans afoot to sell off the remaining 30% of the Post Office. Another valuable utility going totally out of public control, Something else to "thank" the no voters for, also when the next round of Tory cuts hit the poorest off we can thank the no's for that too.

Redsnapper
05-Jun-15, 08:30
Wonder how long it will be before the promise of same cost delivery to the whole of the UK is forgotten and we're all paying over the odds up here ?.Bet the shares are underpriced again and certain people trouser a big profit.

tonkatojo
05-Jun-15, 12:53
I see there are plans afoot to sell off the remaining 30% of the Post Office. Another valuable utility going totally out of public control, Something else to "thank" the no voters for, also when the next round of Tory cuts hit the poorest off we can thank the no's for that too.

Have a word with Mrs Sturgeon see if she wants to buy it and call it "SPO" .

Redsnapper
05-Jun-15, 13:40
Gosh what an excellent idea- shame its something reserved to Westminster-- never mind - I'll head off down to London and see what George has to say about it.--- Oh and at the same time I might ask why Westminster has been strangely quiet about Alistair Carmichael and the 'Frenchgate' affair and while I'm there might as well nip across to the Daily Telegraph office and enquire as to why, since they were so keen to publish the whole thing, they don't seem to have much to say about it now.

tonkatojo
05-Jun-15, 15:08
Gosh what an excellent idea- shame its something reserved to Westminster-- never mind - I'll head off down to London and see what George has to say about it.--- Oh and at the same time I might ask why Westminster has been strangely quiet about Alistair Carmichael and the 'Frenchgate' affair and while I'm there might as well nip across to the Daily Telegraph office and enquire as to why, since they were so keen to publish the whole thing, they don't seem to have much to say about it now.

Let us know how you get on.

roshep
05-Jun-15, 18:01
" OLD NEW'S " Redsnapper.

Redsnapper
05-Jun-15, 21:12
Or news that some folk would prefer to be 'old'

davth
05-Jun-15, 22:43
I believe the money generated is being used to pay off more of the deficit.Fair enough surely.

Perambulate
13-Jun-15, 00:21
"Thank the no voters" that's a bit of a chip on the old shoulder there. I thought all this stuff was done and the hatchet had been buried

squidge
13-Jun-15, 08:52
It's already done - well half done. Half the remaining stake in Royal Mail was sold overnight to institutional investors at a discounted rate.

Bill Fernie
13-Jun-15, 13:27
I think you are referring to the 30% Royal Mail sell off announced a couple of days ago. The Post Office is separate company Postal Services Holding company Ltd owned by the government. That company also owns the remaining 30% of the Royal Mail which they now propose to sell.

If we want post offices to do well then people need to consider using them more and take up services like bank accounts, Post Office Card Account that allows for collecting things like benefits, national savings, premium bonds. Did you know the Post Office now offers loans and mortgages.

Credit Union savings are easy at a Post Office using the plastic card you get from the credit union. Withdrawals are by phone straight to your bank account uusally the same day.

The Post office also sells insurance for homes, cars and more.

There are many other services at your local Post office - even lottery tickets but they probably are no more lucky than any other place. Still I might buy one there next week to see if my luck changes.

The Royal Mail share will be sold to institutional investors like pension funds etc and the government hopes to raise around £750million.

Some people are unhappy that ordinary people will not be able to purchase any share this time around. However there does not appear to be any suggestion of a discount so perhaps only the big investors would be interested.

There was a lot of controversy when the first tranch of shares were sold and it looks like this round will be no different. See http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3120715/Are-Royal-Mail-shares-sold-cheaply-Ministers-accused-costing-taxpayers-millions-second-time.html

Whatever happens the Royal Mail is changing and once fully privatised profits will be to the forefront. Everyone will have their opinion as to whether it lets the company thrive and produce better services or if it only serves the shareholders. The trick will be achieve a happy ending for both.