PDA

View Full Version : Ideas Please

Wellies
10-Apr-07, 12:44
I am going to start this thread again to give me some more ideas. If you went to an Agricultural Show what would you like to see there or do there for free or to be charged to do. This could be a competition or an attraction. Please help me!

dozerboy
10-Apr-07, 12:45
get a demonstration of the latest tractors and machinery (free of course)

corgiman
10-Apr-07, 13:00
good priced food vendors, with variety, something fun like dog agility display

changilass
10-Apr-07, 13:01
Win the use of a baby digger and operator for the day:lol:

corgiman
10-Apr-07, 13:04
involve the public, make sure there are people to explain things to them if they want to ask questions.

Victoria
10-Apr-07, 14:27
People like the idea of joining in so plenty of workshops and demonstrations may be a good idea

Ricco
10-Apr-07, 14:50
Workshops, demonstrations, craft stalls. Plant sales are always a winner. The food should be reasonably priced - not pitched to rip off a captive audience. What about a terrier race? Pets corner, etc

Rheghead
10-Apr-07, 14:50
I once saw a travelling show at an agricultural show called 'The Great Welsh Sheeptacular'. It had sheep shearing demos and a 'sheepwalk' of all different breeds. It was very interesting! People would pay an entrance fee to this.

SNOWDOG
10-Apr-07, 14:52
More machinery. (seems to get less every year)
Less double glazing stalls.
More for kiddies. (a petting zoo or bouncy castle etc)
Less sideshow tat. (if someone is desperate to win a gonk they can walk 100 yards to the riverside)
Another beer tent. (2 just arnt enough especially if its hot)
A show area for the emergency services. ( ie. an ambulance, police car, fire engine and a coastguard truck all with their gear laid out)
More local produce.
More youth organisations.

There, that should do for a bit!! :)

corgiman
10-Apr-07, 15:12
dog shows always go down a treat too, but more local produce is a good one, do you know how hard it is to source things like hay and oats:lol:

Wellies
10-Apr-07, 15:19
Food Vendors - we have burgers & hotdogs (butchers ofcourse) very reasonably priced, Tea, Soup, Sandwiches and cakes and a stall booked to come with spit roast pork
Dog Agility - already booked
Bouncy Castle, Lucky Dip/Lucky Ducks, Face Painting etc - there
There is a JCB driving Competion open to people whom hold their cert for it
People are always available if anyone has a question about anything
There are Plant Stalls, Craft Stalls and baking stalls
Pets Corner - with piglets, ducklings, chicks, ponies hopefully
Local Fire Brigade have been asked to do a demo
Lots of Local Produce with the Baking and Produce entries for the show for sale in the afternoon
Youth organisations are welcome to come
Like the idea of Terrier Racing and will see what we can do
He-haw Donkeys will also be there
All ideas welcome
Oh the beer tent is a fair size with plenty of room outside on the grass:lol:

Rheghead
10-Apr-07, 15:19
How about a dry stone wall building competition using Caithness flagstone based on speed and quality? One of the local quarries could sponsor it and it might generate interest for stone sales for them.:D

pentlander
10-Apr-07, 15:24
good priced food vendors, with variety, something fun like dog agility display
Locally supplied beef and lamb barbequed snacks sound good.

Wellies
10-Apr-07, 15:29
Locally supplied beef and lamb barbequed snacks sound good.
I agree it is much better than those watery things you can get. The beef for the barbeque is from the local butcher and they only have Caithness Beef.

brokencross
10-Apr-07, 15:35
An artificial climbing wall, four sides each of differing difficulty and skills level required. That way the very young to the more adventurous oldies can have a go. All safety gear supplied, hats harnesses, safety lines and trained supervisors to look after you. It goes down a treat.

Rheghead
10-Apr-07, 15:39
Tug-o-war, climb the slippery pole, throw the wellie competition, egg and spoon, sack race, three legged race. :D

Bradcon
10-Apr-07, 17:08
Something for the older children. Especially the boys. Its very hard to keep them amused. At the Latheron show last summer, they had a football comp in the next field for the boys to keep them busy. My 2 loved it. Not sure what else. You seem to have a good range of things going on. I can't wait to come along.

Victoria
10-Apr-07, 17:29
Food Vendors - we have burgers & hotdogs (butchers ofcourse) very reasonably priced, Tea, Soup, Sandwiches and cakes and a stall booked to come with spit roast pork
Dog Agility - already booked
Bouncy Castle, Lucky Dip/Lucky Ducks, Face Painting etc - there
There is a JCB driving Competion open to people whom hold their cert for it
People are always available if anyone has a question about anything
There are Plant Stalls, Craft Stalls and baking stalls
Pets Corner - with piglets, ducklings, chicks, ponies hopefully
Local Fire Brigade have been asked to do a demo
Lots of Local Produce with the Baking and Produce entries for the show for sale in the afternoon
Youth organisations are welcome to come
Like the idea of Terrier Racing and will see what we can do
He-haw Donkeys will also be there
All ideas welcome
Oh the beer tent is a fair size with plenty of room outside on the grass:lol:

why not ask a youth organisation to come up with an idea for an attaction and run it?

noodle
10-Apr-07, 17:57
An artificial climbing wall, four sides each of differing difficulty and skills level required. That way the very young to the more adventurous oldies can have a go. All safety gear supplied, hats harnesses, safety lines and trained supervisors to look after you. It goes down a treat.

That would be cool - is there a local climbing club?

jinglejangle
10-Apr-07, 17:59
what event you organising wellies?

Wellies
10-Apr-07, 18:16
dog shows always go down a treat too

There is a Companion Dog Show

Where on earth do you find one up here? Great idea though

what event you organising wellies?

Canisbay Show Saturday 30th June

jinglejangle
10-Apr-07, 18:18
you probably already have one but we enjoy the pipebands - kids love them to.

corgiman
10-Apr-07, 18:23
kids love them but do the stock???:confused

changilass
10-Apr-07, 18:30
could the rabbit club show some of their rabbits or even have a comp for pet rabits as opposed to the profesional shows, you might also manage to pick up more members that way and also ensure they are being looked after properly.

pat
10-Apr-07, 18:46
Wellies are you organising the wellie throwing competion?

Here they also have JCB type vehicles with buckets, a couple of huge piles of sand or similar, youngsters with supervision in cab get to transfer stuff from one pile to the other with the machines - the queues are massive, they all want to be Bob the Builder.

They also have huge tarpaulins on a slope, fit people have to get down the slope carrying empty buckets down and full of water on the way up (only trouble is all the buckets have holes in them) so team with most water in measure wins, opposing team usually throwing gallons of water at the competitors too, if enough water they can slide down the tarpaulins. Great fun for audiences, very energetic for participants and very enjoyable.

Wellies
10-Apr-07, 18:52
The Pipe Band is kept well away from the livestock. Obviously they can still hear the pipes but not enough to stress them.
There will be an Open Rabbit Show this year enquires for entries form are being invited. We have also arranged a BRC judge for the Rabbit Show.

Rheghead
10-Apr-07, 18:57
I once organised a 'smash the crockery' stall. You had to see the determination on some of the punters to really appreciate it.:eek:

North Rhins
10-Apr-07, 19:19
Have a go at clay pigeon shooing. 12 bore for adults, 20 bore and 410 for youngsters and kids. What about a gundog scurry, nothing too serious, just a bit of fun?

Schoolhouse Blues
11-Apr-07, 00:37
Tractor or 4-wheel bike obstacle course (& timed) is a good challenge - keen drivers will pay for multiple goes to try and beat a rival.

Tug o War attracts a lot of attention in the centre ring - good spectator sport.

At the county show, I once saw 'tossing the sheaf' run for entrants from the public. I did sheaf tossing years ago when I was in the Young Farmers, and would love another go (so long as I didn't take out any small children when my sheaf goes along instead of up).

just a few ideas - you'll need a two day show to cover all the suggestions you've had!

corgiman
11-Apr-07, 13:47
can you take some entry forms to the show on Saturday please?

Lolabelle
12-Apr-07, 06:20
I may have missed this in the above posts, but over here, the animal nursery always goes down well with kids and adults alike. Kids pat the baby animals and the big people sit for a minute and recover. Seats are provided.;)

dunderheed
12-Apr-07, 22:06
a good idea from my old cattle show in ayrshire was the greasy pole

this starts as a two man team event where the objet of the "game" is to climb the greasy pole (a shortened telegraph pole covered in axle grease) to retrieve the prize envelope from the top (the prize was usually a meat hamper dontated by one of the farmers. if the two man team failed it would then be upped to a 3 man team etc until the prize was won.this is another good event for spectators

we also one year had the bungee crane in attendance (dont know how much this would cost though) again it was busy from the show opening til just before the show closed.

hope these ideas may help and good luck for your show

Wellies
19-Apr-07, 08:38
I would like to thank you all for your ideas that you have posted. Some of them we are not able to do because Public Liability Insurance would probably not cover us for them. But there are a few that we are looking to do. Thanks as this is one of the few ways of getting to know what people want to see when they go to a show.

BRIE
19-Apr-07, 14:48
coconut shy & tombola, lucky dip for the kids also kids craft workshops or a kids treasure hunt if the kids are happy the parents stay longer!