PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Bank Notes

piratelassie
21-May-15, 16:54
Just been reading about someone not being able to use Scottish Bank Notes while he was visiting in Norfolk. My answer to this insult is simple, just refuse to pay, believe me they soon change their mind then. Next time you are in England do the same, it's fun honestly.

bluemafia
21-May-15, 17:42
That has been a bone of contention for donkeys years [disgust]

cptdodger
21-May-15, 17:43
[QUOTE=piratelassie;1119427,believe me they soon change their mind.[/QUOTE]

No they wont.

BetterTogether
21-May-15, 17:46
There is no legal requirement for anyone in England or Wales to accept Scottish bank notes if you read the link provided it should clarify the situation.http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/legal_position.php

starfish
21-May-15, 18:33
we had the same trouble when we go even the banks tried refusing to change it yet most of the shops except euro says it all really

golach
21-May-15, 18:55
Just been reading about someone not being able to use Scottish Bank Notes while he was visiting in Norfolk. My answer to this insult is simple, just refuse to pay, believe me they soon change their mind then. Next time you are in England do the same, it's fun honestly.
Remind us please, who owns the Royal Bank of Scotland? Oh yes , the UK government who are the biggest share holders, if they had not bailed out RBS, its would have gone down the tubes. Maybe its was a Norfolk Unionist getting his own back at a seperatist and quite rightly so.

sids
21-May-15, 19:09
I usually change some Scottish notes for English in the Post Office in Wick, before I travel south.

rogermellie
21-May-15, 19:10
Remind us please, who owns the Royal Bank of Scotland? Oh yes , the UK government who are the biggest share holders, if they had not bailed out RBS, its would have gone down the tubes. Maybe its was a Norfolk Unionist getting his own back at a seperatist and quite rightly so.

so you're in favour of petty, small minded behaviour ?

(and how would they know it was a seperatist ?)

Scout
21-May-15, 19:14
Remind us please, who owns the Royal Bank of Scotland? Oh yes , the UK government who are the biggest share holders, if they had not bailed out RBS, its would have gone down the tubes. Maybe its was a Norfolk Unionist getting his own back at a seperatist and quite rightly so. I'm sorry to say but it is just not in the UK, China do not accept Scottish notes as well.[lol]

cptdodger
21-May-15, 19:17
First of all I am Scottish, however I worked for years in retail establishments in England. Let me put it into some perspective from a retailers point of view for you. England has one set of bank notes issued by The Bank Of England, so you get used to how to spot counterfeits, not always easy but you do. Scotland, on the other hand has three sets of bank notes issued by three banks - Bank Of Scotland, Royal Bank Of Scotland and the Clydesdale Bank. The counterfeiters, these days are getting very, very good, and if you do'nt see these notes on a regular basis, as these days most people (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32778196) do'nt use cash to pay for goods, then I for one do not blame retailers for not accepting the notes.

fender
21-May-15, 19:18
My mate, myself and our wifes were in a bar in Luton a few years ago and bought beers and wines. Went to pay with a RBofS £20 note and they would not take it. Off course we had downed a fair bit of the lager so it was get the manager time. He came looked at the note, looked at us and decided to accept. Guess what was next door to this bar, yup a RBofS branch.

sids
22-May-15, 00:58
It's a bit much to expect shops to accept notes they haven't seen before.

crayola
22-May-15, 01:01
Just been reading about someone not being able to use Scottish Bank Notes while he was visiting in Norfolk. My answer to this insult is simple, just refuse to pay, believe me they soon change their mind then. Next time you are in England do the same, it's fun honestly.Ha ha I do that all the time. But it's crucial to wait until they've rung up your purchases first. It works a treat in bars because they're reluctant to pour away the drinks they've just poured out. :)

piratelassie
22-May-15, 01:01
Years ago I had a meal in Preston. When I went to pay, the waiter refused to accept my bank notes. I told him that was the only money I had on me and if he won't accept the Scottish notes then I was sorry but I was leaving. After he consulted his manager the notes were accepted. I know Scottish notes are not legal tender south of the border but there's a matter of pride here, and I never left a tip.

squidge
22-May-15, 01:29
This happens all the time. I find that the best way is as previous posters have said. If you say I'm sorry I have no other money and smile they will take it without a problem

BetterTogether
22-May-15, 08:25
Reality is they are more likely to say " have you got a card you can use " as more transactions are done by plastic than by cash nowadays currency belligerence really is childlike behaviour. Maybe you should travel abroad with Scottish Notes and see how others treat them.

sids
22-May-15, 08:54
I know Scottish notes are not legal tender south of the border but there's a matter of pride here, and I never left a tip.

I suppose that comes down to which you are more interested in: doing business or annoying people.

porshiepoo
22-May-15, 09:05

They seriously won't give a monkeys because Scottish notes are not legal tender, not even in Scotland. Why should they accept a currency that has no legal protection?

Here's something taken directly from the Committee of Scottish bankers
"The legal position with regard to Scottish Banknotes is as follows:
Scottish Banknotes are legal currency – i.e. they are approved by the UK Parliament. However, Scottish Bank notes are not Legal Tender, not even in Scotland. "

BetterTogether
22-May-15, 09:21
Years ago I had a meal in Preston. When I went to pay, the waiter refused to accept my bank notes. I told him that was the only money I had on me and if he won't accept the Scottish notes then I was sorry but I was leaving. After he consulted his manager the notes were accepted. I know Scottish notes are not legal tender south of the border but there's a matter of pride here, and I never left a tip.

So the person who served you and I assume you where happy with the service they provided, had the good grace to ask the manager whether your banknotes where acceptable.
Having then tried their best to accommodate your instransegence and failed you punished them by not leaving a tip. Totally ignoring the reality that you knew your notes are generally not acceptable in England and that the person serving you and the manager are just following instructions left by the business owner.
That does show a stupefying lack of respect for ordinary working people who probably rely on tips.

kosacid
22-May-15, 09:27
i was in a pub and the bar manger bought them off me every one and framed them on the bar i made a £1 profit on every note lol

golach
22-May-15, 09:47
Having had a few breaks in Blackpool, while found no problem with Scottish Bank Notes, in fact often got Northern Ireland notes in my change, was a bit confused when this first happened, but easily rectified, when buying my next round, just made sure the NI notes were used first.
Back in the 1950/60's as a Merchant Seaman, always made sure I had Bank of England notes when heading south, just to save any confusion. I still do when going abroad change my Scottish notes to whatever currency is used in the country I am going to, simples.

piratelassie
22-May-15, 10:20
Onbody should have to RELY on tips while working.

So the person who served you and I assume you where happy with the service they provided, had the good grace to ask the manager whether your banknotes where acceptable.
Having then tried their best to accommodate your instransegence and failed you punished them by not leaving a tip. Totally ignoring the reality that you knew your notes are generally not acceptable in England and that the person serving you and the manager are just following instructions left by the business owner.
That does show a stupefying lack of respect for ordinary working people who probably rely on tips.

Manxman
22-May-15, 11:11
Maybe it is time the (our) government approached WESTMINSTER and negotiated over this stupidity and get it settled once and for all
After all what would happen if we started to refuse bank notes from other parts of the UK

sids
22-May-15, 11:56
Maybe it is time the (our) government approached WESTMINSTER and negotiated over this stupidity and get it settled once and for all

Shouldn't they "negotiate" with English pubs and shops then?

The easy answer is maybe for Scottish banks to stop printing banknotes. Not that I really know anything about banknotes or banking.

After all what would happen if we started to refuse bank notes from other parts of the UK

You wouldn't get paid?

sids
22-May-15, 11:57
Nobody should have to RELY on tips while working.

Yes, it's unfortunate.

cptdodger
22-May-15, 12:08
Onbody should have to RELY on tips while working.

And you are purposely missing the point, but then that's no surprise is it ? You just need the slightest excuse to have a dig at England, the English and so on and off you go on one of your little rants.

Redsnapper
22-May-15, 12:34
And you are purposely missing the point, but then that's no surprise is it ? You just need the slightest excuse to have a dig at England, the English and so on and off you go on one of your little rants. . Well thats a bit of a strange one - Scotland accepts BOE notes but not vice -versa so who's digging at who ?

cptdodger
22-May-15, 12:40
. Well thats a bit of a strange one - Scotland accepts BOE notes but not vice -versa so who's digging at who ?Have you just not read any of this thread at all ?

sids
22-May-15, 12:50
. Well thats a bit of a strange one - Scotland accepts BOE notes but not vice -versa so who's digging at who ?

Of course the Bank of England accepts Scottish notes, or is your experience different?

It's not "Scotland" accepting notes.
It's businesses and private sellers having confidence that the money being offered is genuine. Any Scottish person who is unfamiliar with English banknotes must be even poorer than me.

pig whisperer
22-May-15, 21:34
when offering a Scottish note as payment the cashier wasn't too sure about it, the shop manager pointed out the note says pound Sterling on it, note accepted, no bother

piratelassie
23-May-15, 21:22
Thank you.

when offering a Scottish note as payment the cashier wasn't too sure about it, the shop manager pointed out the note says pound Sterling on it, note accepted, no bother

sids
24-May-15, 08:21
I just heard that cash machines at Edinburgh and Glasgow airports give out English banknotes.

Which could be handy.

focusRS
24-May-15, 09:24
Don't venture south of the border with Scottish notes or even better don't bother going south of the border and spend your money here.

Scout
24-May-15, 11:07
Don't venture south of the border with Scottish notes or even better don't bother going south of the border and spend your money here. I have said this before just not only south but most of the world, some have never knew there was a Scottish notes exist.

sids
24-May-15, 11:19
Don't venture south of the border with Scottish notes or even better don't bother going south of the border and spend your money here.

There's no doubt a day spent south of the Ord is a day wasted.

Scout
24-May-15, 11:44
There's no doubt a day spent south of the Ord is a day wasted. Now that is funny [lol]

cptdodger
24-May-15, 12:03
Thank you.

So, when you were in Preston, why did'nt you point out to the restaurant that it said Sterling on the note?

Hoggie
27-May-15, 00:04
I've never had any trouble with London shops accepting BoS or RBS notes. When in Ulster last year, and about to visit London, I filled my wallet with Ulster Bank notes and despite the odd quizzical look and one shop assistant asking her manager, all were accepted.

It may be just smaller shops with daft assistants who are reluctant.

Teal
27-May-15, 00:14
Scots notes are not legal tender.

neilsermk1
28-May-15, 14:53
Ha ha I do that all the time. But it's crucial to wait until they've rung up your purchases first. It works a treat in bars because they're reluctant to pour away the drinks they've just poured out. :)Absolutely correct, buts its even more fun with 50 quids worth of groceries put through the till in a mini market. When they refuse to accept payment in Scots notes just walk away and leave the stuff stacked up. Childish I know but such fun.

cptdodger
28-May-15, 15:07
Absolutely correct, buts its even more fun with 50 quids worth of groceries put through the till in a mini market. When they refuse to accept payment in Scots notes just walk away and leave the stuff stacked up. Childish I know but such fun.It must be so much fun to take it out on the poor cashier who is just trying to make a living. Just remember, a lot of companies will take the money out of the persons wages if they take notes that are forged. Cosidering a lot of people in England are not used to dealing with Scottish money on a daily basis, I don't blame them for not accepting Scottish notes. But do'nt let the fact you embarrassed, humiliated and belittled another human being spoil your fun. Childish is not the word, I think you will find nasty is more apt.

sids
28-May-15, 17:59
Absolutely correct, buts its even more fun with 50 quids worth of groceries put through the till in a mini market. When they refuse to accept payment in Scots notes just walk away and leave the stuff stacked up. Childish I know but such fun.

So, what do you then have for dinner?

neilsermk1
29-May-15, 12:40
So, what do you then have for dinner?Chinese resturaunt was quite happy to take my money :lol:

crayola
30-May-15, 01:09
Absolutely correct, buts its even more fun with 50 quids worth of groceries put through the till in a mini market. When they refuse to accept payment in Scots notes just walk away and leave the stuff stacked up. Childish I know but such fun.I quite often leave stuff stacked up at the checkout in shops with bad service. I rarely go to one local Sainsbury's because the service at the tills is so bad.

Baconbuttie
17-Jun-15, 18:05
No banknotes are legal tender in Scotland - Google It