PDA

View Full Version : just cant win....

brandy
09-Apr-07, 20:27
well, luck does not seem to follow my family this year.
talking to my mum, and my uncle is in hospital, getting ready to leave this world.
he has cancer, and its at its last stages.
he went into hospital last night, and when they let him go home hospice will be going with him to keep him comfy as he can be until the end.
my poor mum is helping with the arangments.. and its breaking her heart to have to sit down with him to make his funeral arangments.
but she wants him to have what he wants.
im going to the woolen mill tomorrow, as his main request was that mama find him the thickest warmest socks for him when he goes, as his feet are always cold.
its funny isnt it, how little things like that matter the most, when you are watching your life slip away.
he asked mama today, that he wondered what dying was like,
and my mum told him that she always thought that it would be like being born.
thats very profound in its own way, but my mum is a very simple soul and would not think of the depth of that statment.
i scraped up my pennies a bit ago, and ordered him some flowers.
just to let him know, that we were thinking of him, and were with him in spirit if not flesh.
i hope it will make him feel a bit better, seeing a bright boquet of flowers, in this his darkest time.
ohhh well.. i will quit rambling now.
talk to you guys later
brandy

horseman
09-Apr-07, 20:36
How awful for you brandy, it sure is a lot to take all at once,sharing it seems to help, my family's prayers will be with you.

Bobinovich
09-Apr-07, 21:14
In the face of your story your socks anecdote gave me a little half smile there Brandy and reminded me of a similar little ditty.

My mum died of cancer in 2001 but, during her last visit home (she must have realised it was her last, even though she'd been told she had another few months) she requested a particular pair of pyjamas be picked up from her bedroom for her to take to Raigmore ready to be cremated in. My sister & I duly went upstairs and, once there, she turned and started crying on my shoulder.

We stood for a minute or so and I spotted the PJs just a couple of feet away. I noticed the label on it which said "Keep away from fire"! The irony of it made me chuckle and it bought a half smile to my sisters face when I told her.

We even told my mum who loved the 'joke' as we headed down the road for that final journey.

brandy
09-Apr-07, 21:57
thanks bob, that made me smile.
its little things like that , that make us human.
its amazing how brave people are when they face death.

Elenna
09-Apr-07, 22:00
Such sad news, Brandy. All blessings be with your uncle, your mum, and all your family at this time...and hopefully those small points of gentle humour (like about the socks :)), which are so much a part of life, will help ease things just a little for everyone.

A hug for you, dear.

sassylass
09-Apr-07, 22:25
How very kind of you and your mum to fulfill this seemingly small wish. It's often the little things that matter most.

Angela
09-Apr-07, 22:40
brandy, I'm so sorry to hear your sad news. :(

Such small things can mean a very great deal to someone though, when they know they have only a little time left, and I feel sure your uncle will appreciate what you and your mum are doing.

You make sure you look after yourself now....

Moira
09-Apr-07, 22:51
Such sad news Brandy. Best thoughts to you and your family.

Lolabelle
10-Apr-07, 00:35
Brandy, all I can offer is a hug across the seas and my prayers for you and yours.
Love, Lola

karia
10-Apr-07, 02:13
Brandy,

Hope it gets better soon.

Did Sam have a good birthday? ( day after mine, if horoscopes mean
anything, your in for trouble!:D

Check in to your my space, girl..folks worry!

peedie
10-Apr-07, 17:20
*hug* sorry to hear your news