PDA

View Full Version : Interview Help

©Amethyst
09-Apr-07, 14:54
Hey guys.

I've got an interview on Thursday for a job at a call center (Not BT). Quite nervous already even though I think that the guy was impressed with my telephone manner.

I was just wondering if anyone out in the .org has had an interview for a call center other than BT before and what their experiences were?

Also any general interview tips would be helpful as i've not had a formal interview in a long time (last 2 jobs I got through friends lol). So I'm a little dusty when it comes to interviews. It's a step in the right direction anyway - have been applying for a lot of jobs without success. The way the cookie crumbles, I suppose.

Thanks in advance!

MadPict
09-Apr-07, 15:40
Best of luck.

peedie
09-Apr-07, 15:46
firstly good luck!!!!

i've never interviewed for a call centre but i've had a few recently for uni courses, so i'll do some general tips :D

probably (its happened to me a lot) the first thing they will ask you is to tell them about yourself, an easy question and is usually to start u talkin and to get u to relax but think about what your going to say in case you have a blank moment

dont panic the interveiwers will be tryin to get the best out of you not catch you out.

think about any questions you could be asked, about past experience, about yourself, then think of answers to the questions u thought of and say them aloud to yourself so you know how your going to say them, that way when your nervous it wont all come out wrong.

if your not sure what it is your being asked dont try and guess and tell them what you think they want just ask them to explain

dont waffle

even if your laying bricks do you best to come across confident

hope this helps a little, i stick by these if i have an interview, i'm sure you'll do well goods luck ;)

Fluff
09-Apr-07, 16:04
i have worked for 2 call centres, bt and direct wines. best advice, be yourself.

be polite and make eye contact. smile. dont be afraid to say sorry if you fell you are coming across nervous, be honest but be yourself!!
good luck :)

wi46
09-Apr-07, 16:12
The best advice I can give is to be confident and sell yourself, this is tough for most people as it does not come natually but it really impresses interviewers.

As it is call centre work the most important thing is customer service so tell them about how the customer is always right and some examples of great experiences you have had.

Try not to be too nervous as this is a turnoff for interviewers and do your research on the company.
Try to enjoy it

Julia
09-Apr-07, 16:23
Good luck with you interview!

My tip: be prepared to answer questions like 'how would you handle a caller who became agressive, agumentative or someone who breaks down crying?' Sometimes that one call to your helpdesk can be the straw that breaks the camels back if your customer has had a hellish day, I had a few of those in my time!

Just show that you are polite, assertive and willing. That you can listen and recall information.

It's quite a daunting job but once you get your confidence it can be quite rewarding and interesting, from my personal experience.

Ricco
09-Apr-07, 16:26
Good luck, Amethyst. Just be yourself - don't try to be anything else. Be honest and cover all of your strengths. If any weaknesses are raised, try to discuss the positive aspects of them. You'll be OK. :D

j4bberw0ck
09-Apr-07, 16:33
Most interviewers decide subconsciously within 30 - 60 seconds whether they'll employ you, and the rest is fitting the evidence to the conclusion. The cues they're looking for are confidence, appearance they "approve" of - businesslike clothing choice if applicable, that sort of thing - and confidence.

If you can, walk confidently into the interview room, smile at the interviewer(s) and say "hello, I'm <name>" as you approach them with your hand out to shake hands. Offering a handshake doesn't come naturally to everyone (I was once told "it's all right for you - you're English - Scots don't do that" :roll: - it's bollocks, by the way - Scots do) but make the first move and you're halfway there.

If they're doing a "competence based" interview you'll have 2 or even 3 interviewers all scribbling notes and asking the same questions they ask all the candidates. Things like "tell me about a time when you helped a colleague who had a problem", "tell me about a time when you had a bad tempered customer - and how you dealt with it", "tell me about a time you helped train a new start employee and what you thought about it". If you can't think of a particular instance, make one up. They don't care as long as you get the gist of it right and don't sit there saying "er, er, er, er".

Good luck.

Angela
09-Apr-07, 16:50
Make sure you've done your homework and remember employers like to feel you want to work for them - it's good to sound enthusiastic, not desperate. So be sure you can give reasons for wanting this particular job...and reasons why you believe you'll be good at it.

If you don't understand a question or find it hard to answer, buy yourself some time by asking them to elaborate..."do you mean...?" It will allow you to get your thoughts in order.

At the end you may be asked if you have any questions you want to ask them and it's a good idea to have a couple ready - even though by then you may feel it's either gone really well, or really badly, it confirms that you are interested.

It does no harm to emphasize at the end that you really do want the job as well (unless you've decided otherwise)....it leaves the interviewer with a positive impression.

All the best! :)

North Rhins
09-Apr-07, 17:57
It was late afternoon, I’d been interviewing all day. One of the last to be interviewed was a young lad. He’d answered all the questions with the right answers, in fact the same answers I’d heard a dozen times that day. I looked at him and asked him why he really wanted the job? He replied ‘Because I need the money.’ I thought well at least the lad is honest, so he got the job and guess what? Yes you’ve got it; he was one of the best employees I’d we’d ever had.
Just be honest and be yourself. Let your own personality shine through and I’ sure you’ll be successful. Fingers crossed and the very best of luck to you. :D

Max
09-Apr-07, 18:26
First of all good luck with the job. I think everyone has given good advice. One of the questions generally asked is what do you know about the company? so do your homework. Don't be negative about anything and if you haven't done that type of work before try to tell the interviewer about skills you have that you can transfer to that job. As someone said earlier you will probably be asked how you would deal with an irate customer etc. A good answer for weaknesses could be "I don't have any that would stop me doing this job well" and remember to give more than one strength (if you are asked). Also remember if you have no questions to ask them when given the opportunity because everything has been covered just say " No, I think you have covered everything, thanks"

All the best!

Errogie
09-Apr-07, 20:11
I've said this before but the main thing you must remember is not to go on about why you need the job but what you can/are able to do for your prospective employer.

Funky_Foal
09-Apr-07, 23:45
Good Luck with the Interview!

rich12345
10-Apr-07, 00:12
Good luck and remember play it cool.:cool:

Penelope Pitstop
10-Apr-07, 10:49
Allow yourself plenty time to get there and 10 mins there to settle yourself down. Nothing worse than someone who doesn't show up on time - I always think it shows willing to be there early.

As someone previously posted: shake their hand and introduced yourself when you get in to the interview room.

If they ask you why you want to be a "whatever" please, please don't say (following are my pet hates):"I don't know, haven't thought about it"
"Mum/Dad said I should apply for it" or Shrug shoulders.....I know you wouldn't do that tho.

If they have a web site take a look at it and ask them a question about it. That way they know you've taken the trouble to find out about them. Plus it's less time for them to ask you questions if you are asking them questions!:Razz

Easy to say but don't fidget....if you know you might, then sit on your hands!

At the end thank them for their time and shake their hand again before leaving.

Good luck