PDA

View Full Version : BT Internet Question

Kevin Milkins
10-May-15, 17:35
I have had BT Total Broadband for quite a few years now and I have to say it has worked well for what we require, but I am starting to get these emails to upgrade and at first I thought it was just another phishing scam. Has anyone else had the email below?

You've used more than 6GB of your 10GB in May

Hello,

Just to let you know, you've used over half your broadband allowance so far this month.

What happens if you go over your allowance
We'll charge you £5.60 for an extra 5GB. Then, if you go over that, we'll charge you for another 5GB (and each time you use it up until your allowance resets at the end of the month). We'll automatically add these charges to your bill.

How to keep an eye on how much you're using
We've got ways to help you check what you're using and steer clear of extra charges. Like our broadband usage monitor that helps you keep track of your broadband. If you want to know more, take a look at our broadband usage policy.

How far your allowance goes
We're all doing so much online these days it can be tricky to know how much broadband you're using. So here's a rough guide to how far your 10GB a month gets you.

Browsing for 30 hours a month + Watching online TV for four hours a month (like BBC iPlayer) + Streaming video for 6 hours a month (like YouTube) + Downloading one standard definition film a month

Upgrade to increase your allowance
If you want to stay away from charges for going over your broadband allowance, you can always upgrade to one of our products with a higher usage allowance. Or go totally unlimited. You can upgrade here or call 0800 707 6044 (we're open 8am-9pm on weekdays, 8am-8pm on Saturdays and 9am-6pm on Sundays).

Thanks for choosing BT.

Libby Barr
Managing Director, Customer Care

gleeber
10-May-15, 17:43
I seem to remember getting 1 or 2 of those a couple of years ago when I watched all the Breaking Bad series in 7 days. I upgraded at the time but BT will give you a good deal if you have been a customer for years. Phone them up and hold your ground.

BetterTogether
10-May-15, 17:52
If you put the number into your web browser you'll find out the issue is discussed on a number of consumer websites, yes it's from BT and yes it's correct not a scam. How you deal with the issue is a separate issue.

The same goes for any suspicious number just type in the phone number to your web browser and you'll find if its a scam it's more than likely listed as such.

Kevin Milkins
10-May-15, 20:53
Some useful information from you both, thank you. I was wondering how do they know how much you use, is it on some type of metre?

richardj
13-May-15, 08:09
Kevin, if you log into your BT account there is a section that shows you how much broadband you have used during each month. If you watch any on demand TV (Sky, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon etc) or listen to music online (i.e. Internet Radio), play online games or watch YouTube then you will quickly go over the 10GB limit set on the entry level BT broadband account. If you just use your broadband account to access e-mail and browse a few websites then you should easily stay within the 10GB limit.
If you do upgrade to the unlimited service provided by BT you may also want to check to see if faster broadband is available in your area as you could move to this new superfast connection using one of BT deals on offer. Check out if you have superfast broadband available using the website - http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/
If you change your contract with BT then it will usually mean a 12-18 month minimum time period.

Kevin Milkins
13-May-15, 09:29
richardj, I contacted BT yesterday because I don't do any of the above apart from have the radio on all day and evening, it would seem this is the reason for going over. I have upgraded to unlimited now, but probably buying a radio might have been the cheaper option.
Thanks for your reply
Regards
KM