PDA

View Full Version : Window Salesmen

Thomas
30-Apr-15, 14:02
Today I had a bloke come to my door telling me there is a govenment scrapage scheme to swap in your old windows for new. He had a badge that just said "renewables" and his paperwork said the same. He arranged a time to measure my windows later tonight as I was just leaving.

They phoned to confirm my appointment and I tried to get some info about who they actually are, they said they were a company called "St Andrews".

After looking online and not finding much evidence of a scrapage scheme and not finding any information about their company (typing St Andrews Windows into google gave me obvious vaired results), I phoned back to cancel. I asked about the lack of information about this scheme and he told me it's not actually a govenment scheme but the money comes from the government (40% of the price is cut which was not mentioned to me earlier), and as for lack of information on their company they then told me they were a sistercompany to weatherseal, but I still canceled as I wasn't going to bother as it sounded right dodgy at this point.

Anyone else had any experiences of them today in Thurso? What were their quotes? Am I being maybe a tad paranoid? I read that some window firms give fake discounts to intice you to buy and this sounded like one of those times.

bobbyjoeufb
30-Apr-15, 18:37
Any thing to do with Weatherseal I would stay clear. Just have to Google (Weatherseal) to find out what a company they are!

smithp
30-Apr-15, 19:45
I get an automated message from them every week telling me about the scheme. If there is no scrapage scheme then what they are doing is fraud.

DonMac
01-May-15, 07:50
AVOID anything to do with Weatherseal, dishonest dodgy people and seriously crap windows.

matelot79
01-May-15, 13:31
There was some sales people at my neighbours yesterday giving them the same spiel but also told them that Cairn housing was replacing the windows in their housing stock and it would therefore blend in. Don’t think that Cairn have any plans to change the windows at the moment.

coaster
02-May-15, 15:36
I have fallen foul with Penicuik windows who are in with Weatherseal as well. Horrendous is the only word to describe the service received. Dreadful fitting and aftersales. Numerous visits from fitters which took the best part of a year to complete. Still not happy but couldn't take any more.

AJay04
02-May-15, 21:34
Yeah we had a visit from st Andrews salesman this week in wick. We entertained a visit from them as we were curious about prices, took 2 hours and the price started at 12000 then halved then went to 4800. This was for 6 windows and 2 doors. Told them we would like to think about it as they offered to keep the quote for 18 months but turned out it would not be the 'offer' price, we would gave to sign for that today. We said no thanks and could feel the attitude of the salesperson change. St Andrews are a brand from the entu group who also have Penicuik wether seal jobs worth doing and a few others. The day after we recieved a phone call from head office saying that the 4800 was still a bit steep and they now wanted to offer us a managers price etc etc told them no. The received a call from a company called energy hypermarket who said they were a 'small company' and could give us a better price than the big ones. Energy hypermarket are also part of the entu group. I won't touch any of these company's after some of the reviews I have seen. Plus if the customer service turns cold before I even part with any cash I don't imagine the aftercare will be any better.