PDA

View Full Version : Cases from the sheriff court

Nwicker60
30-Apr-15, 07:53
Acosting ex could mean a prison sentence
AN unemployed scaffolder who acosted his former girlfriend twice within two days, was warned by a sheriff that he could face a prison sentence.
The accused, John Holmes, admitted two charges of threatening or abusive behaviour, at Wick Sheriff Court, yesterday. and a record..
The 31-year-old old met Rebecca Purcell, by chance, outside Mr C's Bar in Thurso, on December 27, last year. Their relationship had ended not long before and their meeting ended up knocking a drink out of her hand. The following day, Holmes, whose address was given as c/o 10 Stroma Road, Thurso, visited Ms Purcell, uninvited, at her home in the town and shouted at her..
Sheriff Andrew Berry noted that Holmes had repeated his "unpleasant behaviour" and observed that his record included convictions for assault to severe injury, discorderly behaviour and failure to comply with unpaid work, described the accused's latest conduct as "very serious".
Sentence was deferred until May 29 when the sheriff will consider a background report.

Mobile gave drug supply accused away

POLICE who raided a house in Wick found a small wrap of diamorphine which appeared to be for Peter Thomson's personal use.
However, examination of this mobile phone revealed messages from people who requested he pass on to them any drugs surplus to requirements.
It led Thomson, 35, being charged with being concerned in the supply of a Class A drug at his then home in Glamis Road, Wick, between May 2 and 4, last year. He admitted the offence, and a record.
Sheriff Berry, who was advised that Thomson was no longer a user and getting treatment for his addiction, jailed him for 100 days. Thomson's present address was given as 39 Alexandria Road, Colchester.

Work dodger given "last chance"

THE SHERIFF took a tough line with a community service defaulter and warned him it was his "last chance".
The court was told that Ross Stewart had missed several of his unpaid community work appointments giving sickness, sleeping in, and holidays, as the reasons.
Stewart, 23, was previously ordered to carry out 150 hours unpaid work and was banned for a year, after he admitted driving while unfit through drink or drugs on the Watten -Oldhall road on April 7, last year. His work progress was reviewed, yesterday, and it didn't impress Sheriff Berry.
Sheriff Berry told Stewart, of 3a Ashley Court, Wick: "I don't think you are grasping this all, Mr Stewart. If I tell you to do something, you do it. You don't change the rules".
The sheriff went on to stress to the accused that written GP confirmation was required for sickness absence from work committments and holidays must be cleared with the community service supervisor.
Sheriff Berry added: "I don't often use the term, last chance, but this is it. There will be a further review of the community service order on May 29 and I expect to be told that you are co-operating in every respect. I cannot spell this out any more clearly."