PDA

View Full Version : Kayaking around Caithness.

Rheghead
27-Apr-15, 20:28
I'm thinking of taking up this activity. We have a great shoreline and is best seen from the sea. Thinking a kayak that can do surfing might be best. Is there any advice that could point me to a good kayak and other equipment? I believe there is a good place in Inverness to buy who are quite reasonable. Thanks in advance. :D

Scout
27-Apr-15, 20:36
I'm thinking of taking up this activity. We have a great shoreline and is best seen from the sea. Thinking a kayak that can do surfing might be best. Is there any advice that could point me to a good kayak and other equipment? I believe there is a good place in Inverness to buy who are quite reasonable. Thanks in advance. :D Have you tried to contact Ralph I know he has one.

grumpyhippo
27-Apr-15, 21:19
Hi Rheghead.
You're absolutely right the Caithness coast has a totally different dimension when viewed from the sea, but the coast, and the currents round them, is particularly challenging. When you launch you may be faced with a long paddle with no easy 'get out' places. I don't know what canoeing experience you have but if you do buy a kayak please get good advice and training you don't won't to become another statistic in the tragedy figures.
That said I hope you have a wonderful time exploring the coastline around Caithness, it is absolutely stunning.

crichton
27-Apr-15, 21:56
Hi,
There used to be two kayak clubs : Caithness kayak club based in Ackerigill and Pentland kayak club based in Thurso. Suggest you go on Scottish Canoe association web page to find out local contacts.

Kayaker
27-Apr-15, 22:16
Sent a PM to you

Rheghead
28-Apr-15, 00:26
Thanks, great advice and info. Please clear your inbox. :)

Sgitheanach
01-May-15, 22:52
lots of good fishing can be done by kayak up here