PDA

View Full Version : What group????

porshiepoo
08-Apr-07, 09:20
Years ago I used to have a tape by a group that I can't remember the name of.
From what I can remember they were an all gay group and I've a feeling they were around in the 70's /80's. I also think they may have done a cover of 'Last night the dj saved my life', but I'm not 100% sure.
Any ideas anyone? Sorry don't have the name of the songs they sang neither.

TRUCKER
08-Apr-07, 10:28
That Song Was Done By Indeep In 1983. Is That Any Help To You.

The_man_from_del_monte
08-Apr-07, 12:32
Not the village people was it?

porshiepoo
08-Apr-07, 13:59
Don't think it was Indeep.
Wasn't the village people neither.

It was just one of those random cassettes you buy at services and for some unknown reason I really liked it - till we sold the car and forgot to take the tape out.

I think they were a gay band. The lead singer sounded like a girl but for some reason I'm thinking she was a he!!!!!! Don't know why though.
Their songs were really camp too. Still not the village people though. lol.
Wish I could remember some of the song names.

Rheghead
08-Apr-07, 14:04
Cold Jam featuring Grace?:confused

goldenguernsey
08-Apr-07, 15:52
Was it Erasure?

goldenguernsey
08-Apr-07, 15:54
Marc Almond, Bronski Beat??

emb123
08-Apr-07, 17:08
Music of that era/type was usually known as Hi-NRG (High Energy). There are a whole host of artists listed in Wiki for hi-nrg, maybe one of them is who you're looking for ?

I noticed that "Dead or Alive" did a track on 'Youthquake' which made a mention about dj's. (I actually still quite like their 'You spin me round'!)

porshiepoo
08-Apr-07, 17:29
None of those. I will recognise the name when I hear it.
Hubby says that they weren't a famous group. They were def gay too.

Thanks Kaishowing, I will try your links.

porshiepoo
08-Apr-07, 17:31
Music of that era/type was usually known as Hi-NRG (High Energy). There are a whole host of artists listed in Wiki for hi-nrg, maybe one of them is who you're looking for ?

I noticed that "Dead or Alive" did a track on 'Youthquake' which made a mention about dj's. (I actually still quite like their 'You spin me round'!)

That just triggered the memory of a song. One of their songs was called Energy. :)
Help anyone??????

porshiepoo
08-Apr-07, 17:34
GOT IT!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!

Ithink it was man to man. :lol:

Bingobabe
08-Apr-07, 17:38
I think you are looking for Simple minds, they are a gay group Im suren but George Michael or Queen are definately gay band/singers.
Is this not a little discriminatory against gay bands? Or does this not apply here?

porshiepoo
08-Apr-07, 17:51
I think you are looking for Simple minds, they are a gay group Im suren but George Michael or Queen are definately gay band/singers.
Is this not a little discriminatory against gay bands? Or does this not apply here?

dis·crim·i·na·to·ry http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.png Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[di-skrim-uh-nuh-tawr-ee, -tohr-ee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective 1.characterized by or showing prejudicial treatment, esp. as an indication of racial, religious, or sexual bias: discriminatory practices in housing; a discriminatory tax.

Nope! Def just using the word as means to help identify them.
They're male too. Is that discriminating??????

Anyway this group - man 2 man (I think). Any ideas as to how I can find out a list of their songs without google just giving me links to gay men finding gay men sites?????
Not discriminating there neither - pure fact.

lin
08-Apr-07, 18:21
Was it "Right said Fred"............????

Jeemag_USA
08-Apr-07, 18:34
You spin me right round baby right round like a record player round round right round............... [lol]

Got that stuck in my head now, I used to like the lead singers painted Dr Martens :)

Thhis is the track listing from Man 2 Man The Best Of... found it on AOL Music

Male Stripper, Do You Wanna Funk , Energy Is Eurobeat; I Need a Man, At the Gym, Swinging on a Star, I'll Try Anything Once, New York City Beat, Cuba, Action, Who Knows What Evil? Hard Hitting Love, Sex Symbol, Try My Love

http://music.aol.com/artist/man-2-man/201868/album/the-best-of-man-2-man/249677

emb123
08-Apr-07, 18:35
When you mentioned Man to Man I remembered them, as I recall it was "Man 2 Man feat. Man Parrish". Turns out Man Parrish was/is a producer.

The official Myspace page is here and includes a link to their discography.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=91252065 or here
http://www.myspace.com/man2manofficial

emb123
08-Apr-07, 18:50
You spin me right round baby right round like a record player round round right round............... [lol]

Got that stuck in my head now, I used to like the lead singers painted Dr Martens

LOL, I always thought it was a good song too - really catchy!

Round about that time I used to do part time bar work in a company social club and the juke box was on permanent free vend. As I was the only member of bar staff who actually liked music the customers discovered that if they put on certain tracks I'd turn the juke box up (and that included You spin me round) - whereas if the awful ethereal howling that preceded 'There must be angel" came on more than, say for the 18th time that day, they'd hardly be able to hear it by the time it finished. A little bit of power..... :evil

porshiepoo
08-Apr-07, 19:04
Don't think it was man 2 man now. :(
Don't recognise any of those songs.

Still looking for my gay, high energy band of the 80's (ish). :lol:

coastown
08-Apr-07, 19:33
was it frankie goes to hollywood. the lead singer was called holly johnstone

obiron
08-Apr-07, 20:17

Got that stuck in my head now, I used to like the lead singers painted Dr Martens :)

Thhis is the track listing from Man 2 Man The Best Of... found it on AOL Music

Male Stripper, Do You Wanna Funk , Energy Is Eurobeat; I Need a Man, At the Gym, Swinging on a Star, I'll Try Anything Once, New York City Beat, Cuba, Action, Who Knows What Evil? Hard Hitting Love, Sex Symbol, Try My Love

http://music.aol.com/artist/man-2-man/201868/album/the-best-of-man-2-man/249677
they had more songs than male stripper. man thats stuck in the head now.

TRUCKER
08-Apr-07, 20:19
They Did A Song Called Male Stripper.

Bobinovich
08-Apr-07, 20:40
OK what about the Hi NGR group Boys Town Gang! They were an all male (and certainly camp by the looks of their album covers (http://www.amazon.com/Boys-Town-Gang/artist/B000APZBYK) LOL) ensemble fronted by a female cabaret singer. You can check out samples of some of their tracks here (http://www.amazon.com/Disco-Kicks-Best-Boys-Town/dp/B000001QK1/ref=m_art_li_0/104-8461522-9676752) - see if any ring a bell for you.

Just one possibility :D

may67
08-Apr-07, 22:42
Was it the group called 'Imagination'.....
they were a ? 3 piece band , with gold jumpsuits and headband!!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
09-Apr-07, 00:17
Is it Bros yer lookin for?

porshiepoo
09-Apr-07, 08:28
Is it Bros yer lookin for?

Wash your mouth out with acid soap!!!!! :lol:

Bobinovich: Thanks for the link. Alas, it ain't Boys Town gang.

May67: The name doesn't ring a bell but I'm about to have a peak at em.

Wish I had some more info on em. I'll have to ask Paris and see if she can remember the name. She probably would ahve heard the casette - unfortunately I think half of Boston would have done. Yes, I was the sad git who played gay music full blast from the car stereo - O, the shame!!!!!

The_man_from_del_monte
09-Apr-07, 10:24
It wasn't "imagination" was it? http://www.onlyfunk.com/Affiches/Imagination/Oeuvre/Body%20Talk.jpg

Not sure if they were "gay" but the lead singer did sing a bit like a woman.

porshiepoo
09-Apr-07, 13:02
Nope not imagination.

Don't hold me to this (it's as vague as the rest of my info on this subject) but I have a feeling that the singers were white. In fact if you remember the comedy er.........can't remember that name either. lol. (It was the comedy about the cops in training. Had a guy called Hightower in it). Well anyways theres a scene in that where they enter a gay bar. Heres where I'm going with this - I think these singers were rather like those guys. Except, I have a feeling the lead singer - who may or may not have been female lol- was coloured.

Help anyone????????? :lol:

If someone on here can give Donnalee the name of a song based on her lyrical knowledge of hee haw hee ha, then surely someone must be able to tell me this groups name. :eek:

connieb19
09-Apr-07, 13:18
I recognise the lyrics, me and my pal was singing that the other night and I was trying to remember who sang it too. he haw he ha, hehe haha, he haw heha hehehehe. is that the same one?

Rheghead
09-Apr-07, 15:05
Nope not imagination.

How about Figurement of Imagination?:cool:

connieb19
09-Apr-07, 15:10
Was it Lighthouse Family?

Geo
09-Apr-07, 15:53
Earth, Wind and Fire did a song called Energy.

porshiepoo
09-Apr-07, 16:00
How about Figurement of Imagination?:cool:

Was not!!!!!!!

Someone must know of them. Heres what I remember so far.

They were gay.
Were white with maybe a coloured lead singer (I think. lol)
Did a cover to 'Last night a dj saved my life. (I think. lol)
Did a song called Energy (Again, I think. lol)
Around in the 70's or 80's. (Dare I say it - I think! lol)
Their songs were reminiscent of the Hi-NRGY type (apparantly)
Wasn't BROS!

Geo: Alas wasn't Earth wind and Fire - they're simply not camp enough.

Are there no experts out there? Someone must know of em!
PARIS, Where are youuuuuuu??? You must remember.

porshiepoo
09-Apr-07, 16:02
Was it Lighthouse Family?

Nope!!! :(

emb123
09-Apr-07, 16:05
Divine maybe ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_(Glen_Milstead)

Geo
09-Apr-07, 16:05
The Communards?

porshiepoo
09-Apr-07, 16:16
The Communards?

Nope.
This group had a quite different type of music. I've been told it was referred to as HI-NRGY.
Alot of their music was of the same ilk as'last night a dj saved my life'. (in beat as opposed to words).
But their songs were pretty much about one blokes bloke being fancied by another. :eek:

Come on someone. I seriously can't frequent anymore of these gay bloke sights in the hope that there'll be a music section lol, and I certainly ain't joining no mens gay forum to ask. :eek:

Geo
09-Apr-07, 16:32
London Boys?
Technotronic?

porshiepoo
09-Apr-07, 16:40
London Boys?
Technotronic?

Nope neither of those.

Although London boys were great during their day weren't they. Must admit to having downloaded London Nights onto my MP3 player. :eek:

Geo
09-Apr-07, 16:57
Hi-NRG top 200 of the 80s

http://www.hotdiscomix.de/charts/hinrg_top200.htm