PDA

View Full Version : Ants in my pant.....ry!

karia
08-Apr-07, 01:34
I know you guys are more used to midges!

BUT... for the past five years....come summer.

WE GET Ants..

first.. the little ones..

then the ones that colonise...

Then the ones with ..big wings..!

Then the 'flying' ones...!

for years our summers have been spent with hoovers on our backs
(looking like something from 'Ghostbusters']

Any ideas? karia
xx

The_man_from_del_monte
08-Apr-07, 01:37
Any ideas? karia
xx

Move to an ant free zone.

karia
08-Apr-07, 01:44
that would be?

The_man_from_del_monte
08-Apr-07, 01:45
that would be?

AFAIK Iceland doesn't suffer from ants.

karia
08-Apr-07, 01:48
Don't tell me there are ants as well as midges...?

Why are we still up?

Oh my god...

they.. are .. crawling... up ..........my........!;)

The_man_from_del_monte
08-Apr-07, 01:52
Why are we still up?

It's the ants dammit! I can't sleep with them crawling about in my southern parts.... ouch, <scratching>

Ants? where are you living... in Africa? No ants in my parts karia. Totally ant free here.

Jeemag_USA
08-Apr-07, 02:11
Not sure if you can get it in Scotland but I always use a pesticide called SEVIN, i used the powder form and spread around where walls meet floor and around the outside of the house and they just disappear, also gets rid of roaches, earwigs, and millions of other insects! And its safe to put down even with kids or animals around.

Another good way to get rid of them is to put something sweet down on the ground in your pantry, like a large piece of melon covered in honey, or anything covered in honey, try a large paper plate smeared in honey or something, let them gather on it and then bag it and burn it, keep doing this until there is less and less of them.

The_man_from_del_monte
08-Apr-07, 02:16
let them gather on it and then bag it and burn it

That's murder! Why not let them gather on it and allow them to eat it whilst gently transferring the ant infested melon over the fence into your neighbours garden? Ants have a right to live you know, they also have the right to eat melon without fear of being burnt alive whilst dining.......

karia
08-Apr-07, 02:34
Okay, you host the ant BBQ!

My american friend and I will "pied piper" them gently from

the premises!

Anyone got a marinade?:Razz

porshiepoo
08-Apr-07, 09:12
Know exactly how you feel. When we lived in Boston every year we had millions of em emigrate outside from our chimney breast.
We had a gass fire but every year without fail they'd troop across our carpet and head for the outside.
Amazing to watch but not nice knowing theres millions of em hibernating in our chimney.
Never did manage to kill them off either. So we sold up! lol

Angela
08-Apr-07, 09:21
Loads of ants when I was living in Greece for a while.....quite entertaining watching their armies marching along and the effort they'd put into moving a breadcrumb....but I did have to mop the kitchen floor first thing each morning and clean the tops more or less all the time.:(

I have a different problem now -moths! The wee ones that chomp happily through your woolies. I'm just flattening those that settle long enough and within reach. Does anyone have a better idea? I'm not over-keen on sprays, but if there's one that works I would certainly give it a try.
Never had moths in the house before, so I'm at a bit of a loss.[evil]

nicnak
08-Apr-07, 11:06
Hi you can try using nippon which is a really great ant killer which you can get from most hardware or garden stores or use Jeyes Fluid simply squirt a line around the outside of the property or inside if they are coming in through the floor and this seems to stop them.

ashaw1
08-Apr-07, 14:26
I sympathise totally, when we lived in Edinburgh we had hundreds of them. Every year i tried to get rid of them but unfortunately never did.

Jeemag_USA
08-Apr-07, 15:32
Okay, you host the ant BBQ!

My american friend and I will "pied piper" them gently from

the premises!

Anyone got a marinade?:Razz

Well I am not american thanks, but the best way is to kill them, you can put them in to you neighbours two fields away but they will remember where the feast is. If you want rid of them how was you expecting to get rid of them without killing them. Pesticides will kill them you know?

Well flush them down the toilet, that might give them a chance to swim to safety when they pop up in the ocean clinging to a piece of sweetcorn or something [lol]

paris
08-Apr-07, 15:54
Just opened the cake tin and found 10000000000 of the little s in there in fact they are everywhere in my kitchen, been to b&q and brought a thing called ant stop bait station, it says it destroys ants and the nests and so far so good no more ants. It was under £3.00 for a pack of 2. jan x

Ricco
09-Apr-07, 09:01
We also have ant invasions every year. I find it best to hit them as soon as they appear. I use a spray called Raid (very good for wasps as well) to kill of the immediate 'troops'. Then I find the outside nests and pour boiling water down the holes several times. I leave some of those ant traps near the main entry points to the house, make sure the kitchen is immaculately clean (so nothing to attract them) and spray a product called Deathlac around the skirting boards in the kitchen. This last product is very nasty - kils ants in minutes of merely touching it. Do NOT spray higher than floor level and spray only onto the skirting surfaces. Wash your hands after use.

Haven't been bothered for 2 or 3 years now.

Hope these ideas help. :)

karia
09-Apr-07, 19:52
Thanks for your posts and pm's guys!
Have taken note of all suggested methods of 'chemical warfare'.
Will try them in ascending order of brutality until the deed is done
and the ants are 'deid' and done for !

Mister Squiggle
09-Apr-07, 21:28
As a footnote to all these posts, we would use talcum powder (the finer the better, so baby talc is excellent) and sprinkle this all over the paths used by the ants. Each time they found a new path, sprinkle sprinkle ... until finally they'd move off and go and bother the neighbours. There's something about the texture of talc they just LOATH and they can't move through it. It's a little gentler than the Agent Orange approach. :)
As a weird side note, watch out for your toenails! Ants love the stuff which we humans shed (ie bits of skin, toenail clippings). Back in Australia, my husband and small daughter spent a fascinating hour on our verandah, watching the ants carry off toenail and finger nail clippings after he had trimmed her nails. I suppose it is recycling, the circle of life etc, but I was still a bit weirded out when she called out "Mum, come and watch the ants eat my feet!"

karia
09-Apr-07, 21:54
Thanks for the footnote, sadly our ants seem to like the pampering.
It's 'ant stobbo ' round here!

Talc they love!

If madonna were an ant, she'd be rollin' around in the scented stuff.
( I loved the movie !)

Mind you, when you see them , one on one ,they are so clever and ..nope
not going to get sentimental here.. almost had me!

Gosh, they're smart..smarty ants !

When you come home to find zillions in your kitchen and you've got one hoover and a night shift coming up...not so fantastic!

I will not weaken my resolve!!

Seriously, thanks to all.