PDA

View Full Version : Clafouti Limousin

emb123
07-Apr-07, 22:30
by request, from "The Cookery Year" by the Readers Digest

Clafouti Limousin

A clafouti is a sweet pancake batter baked with fresh fruit. In the Limousin province of France, where the pudding originates, it is traditionally made wih black cherries.

Preparation time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 30 min.

Ingredients (for 6):

1 1/2 lb black cherries
3 eggs
3 level tablespoons plain flour
salt
5 level tablespoons caster sugar
3/4 pint milk
1 tablespoon Dark Rum (optional)
2 -3 level tablespoons unsalted butter

Method:

Remove the stalks from the cherries, stone, wash and drain the fruit thoroughly. Beat the eggs lightly together in a bowl; blend in the sifted flour and a pinch of salt before adding 3 tablespoons of sugar. Heat the milk until lukewarm and gradually pour into the egg mixture, stirring continuously. Add the rum if used.

Butter a wide, shallow fireproof dish thoroughly. Put in the cherries, pour the batter over them and dot with the remaining butter. Bake in the centre of an oven, pre-heated to 425 Fahrenheit (mark 7) for 25 - 30 minutes. When the dish is cooked, the cherries will have risen to the top and the batter will have set like a baked custard.

Sprinkle the pudding with the remaining caster sugar and serve lukewarm.

helenwyler
15-Aug-07, 21:09
by request, from "The Cookery Year" by the Readers Digest

Clafouti Limousin

A clafouti is a sweet pancake batter baked with fresh fruit. In the Limousin province of France, where the pudding originates, it is traditionally made wih black cherries.

Preparation time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 30 min.

Ingredients (for 6):

1 1/2 lb black cherries
3 eggs
3 level tablespoons plain flour
salt
5 level tablespoons caster sugar
3/4 pint milk
1 tablespoon Dark Rum (optional)
2 -3 level tablespoons unsalted butter

Method:

Remove the stalks from the cherries, stone, wash and drain the fruit thoroughly. Beat the eggs lightly together in a bowl; blend in the sifted flour and a pinch of salt before adding 3 tablespoons of sugar. Heat the milk until lukewarm and gradually pour into the egg mixture, stirring continuously. Add the rum if used.

Butter a wide, shallow fireproof dish thoroughly. Put in the cherries, pour the batter over them and dot with the remaining butter. Bake in the centre of an oven, pre-heated to 425 Fahrenheit (mark 7) for 25 - 30 minutes. When the dish is cooked, the cherries will have risen to the top and the batter will have set like a baked custard.

Sprinkle the pudding with the remaining caster sugar and serve lukewarm.

I've had my eye on this for a while now emb123, and finally made it tonight as I had too many blueberries in the fridge. Delicious and quick...thanks:Razz!!

bluelady
17-Aug-07, 12:59
will have a go at this, was gonna do it tonight but looks like hubbys been at e dark rum again ! [lol]

helenwyler
17-Aug-07, 13:29
Haha Bluelady[lol]...I didn't have any rum either so used vanilla sugar to give it a bit of a kick. Hope hubby doesn't have a sore head!

bluelady
18-Aug-07, 00:03
what did it taste like, can other alcohol be used ? I know it was him, his little cheeks go red and he falls a sleep in e armchair when he's had a dram or two, good job its not a habit, i hope he did have a sore head [lol]

helenwyler
18-Aug-07, 08:50
It's like a proper "custard" but with more air in it (at least mine was!!)...quite light but a bit crispy on top.

Don't know about other alcohol...you'd need something sweetish, maybe a sweet sherry or calvados would do? Better hide it from hubby, tho[lol]!!