PDA

View Full Version : 5 times drunk driver , lenient conviction

pparker
23-Apr-15, 14:17
I have read the piece in Doanalsin Diary about the 5 times drunk driver with a previous conviction. He escaped Jail with a £1000 fine and a 3 year ban. Is it me or is this just crazy, what was the Judge thinking?. In Scotland the alcohol tolerances allowances for blood and breath were reduced, alcohol shopping hours were reduced . A drink driving campaign that cost the GDP of half of the developing nations and this individual gets this!. His lawyer who clearly is worth her fees said he had trouble adjusting to retirement (so what). He is ashamed (big deal) of course he is after the event, he probably was the last time he got done for this offence. I am sure he is a nice guy with a cartload of issues BUT the point here is he broke the law by a factor of 5, got in a car by an act of will , with his high tolerance he knew what he was doing, in an area that is between two schools. The potential for disaster here was frightening and could very easily have resulted in death. Will there be a next time , I hope not but in three years he will be retiring so unless he gets help, will be even more depressed and probably drinking more. The point about him having a high tolerance to alcohol probably ranks up there in the 10 most ridiculous things I have read. OK if that's the new criteria, then the Scottish Govt need to buy us all a crate of Vodka, test us individually while we down our shots and the first sign that we cannot walk and chew gum at the same time use that as our individual benchmark limit for which we are judged against when we get caught. I am game , bring on the Vodka!. The point here is that he got off light, ridiculously so, he has done it before , how many times I wonder was he not caught by the police , in that time how many of your children have been walking up and down Castlegreen road. He needed to go through a process that taught him the error of his ways. A light tap on the wrist will not do that, what will he do in three years time when if he has not learnt his lesson he gets in his car and ends a life. Not the best way to start retirement. I would like to ask the Sheriff and the defending solicitor if they have ever had loved ones killed by a drunk driver I have. Mr Moreland if you are reading this , then admit you are a drunk and get help , you have been given the very last chance here its a grand gesture you would not have got from me. Take it, learn and grow a pair , you have a great pension opportunities few do , don't be a 57 year spoilt bairn and get on with it like the rest of us.

sids
23-Apr-15, 17:59
You need a drink.

PantsMAN
23-Apr-15, 18:32
You need a drink.
Hilarious.

I wonder if Mr/Ms Parker has ever been convicted?

I notice that he/she doesn't say anything about the background report and the amount that the accused had contributed to the community.

Always good to hear the "hang 'em, flog 'em" brigade have their say.

And no, I'm not excusing DUI.

fatmaggie9
23-Apr-15, 19:13
What has contributing to the community have to to with drink driving?

Agree He needs help - available in Jail?

pparker
23-Apr-15, 19:35
Hilarious.

I wonder if Mr/Ms Parker has ever been convicted?

I notice that he/she doesn't say anything about the background report and the amount that the accused had contributed to the community.

Always good to hear the "hang 'em, flog 'em" brigade have their say.

And no, I'm not excusing DUI.

Hello PantsMan
Looks like that is exactly what you are doing excusing DUI , do a few undisclosed good deeds excuse being 5 times over. What would you have said if someone had been killed? No I have never been convicted of anything, lost a wife and son to a drink driver. Despite that you will notice I did not want him flogged or hanged. I would like to see a sentence imposed that had a chance to rehabilitate to change behaviour and help with what I assume is an addiction to alcohol. Not the first time this has happened to the individual. Do you now how much he has done for the community?. In any event its irrelevant he got in a car 5 times over the limit, you should think carefully about that.

kinloch
23-Apr-15, 19:46
21st century you got Money you drink and drive !!

PantsMAN
23-Apr-15, 21:20
PParker, I'm sorry for your loss.

Incomer796/class4
23-Apr-15, 22:14
.................................................. .....

BetterTogether
23-Apr-15, 22:21
I don't think serving in the armed forces is an acceptable excuse for being drunk in charge of a motor vehicle.

There are far to many apologists for people who wantonly break the law and drag up excuses to try and wriggle of the hook.

Incomer796/class4
23-Apr-15, 22:47
.................................................. ...............

Incomer796/class4
23-Apr-15, 22:55
.................................................. ....................

BetterTogether
23-Apr-15, 23:21
From what I gathered (I was in court) he wasn't simply serving in the armed forces, he was special forces..... possibly SAS........ I'm sorry BUT guys like that can handle the bevvy and a few beers wouldn't even touch them....... as far as HE was concerned, he felt fit to drive / or sit in his car with the engine running as was the case.No excuse for that BUT plenty of reasons why he shouldn't be sent to JAIL!!!!!As far as what member of the armed forces he may of been which seems conjecture on your part it's shows a complete lack of discipline a lack of clear thinking also poor judgement. I'm sure there's many a drunk driver that would claim they felt perfectly fit to drive it neither makes it right or acceptable. Being an apologist for him is not doing his cause any favours hopefully he will learn from his mistake and draw a line under it.

Incomer796/class4
23-Apr-15, 23:21

Incomer796/class4
23-Apr-15, 23:27
.................................................. .......

rogermellie
23-Apr-15, 23:29
'Police, acting on a tip-off, located the accused in Castlegreen Road' sounds like someone with better judgement than Incomer796 reported him

what time of day did this happen ?

Incomer796/class4
23-Apr-15, 23:34
.................................................. ..............

rogermellie
23-Apr-15, 23:35
I'll say it again,

The, "Doanalsins" article doesn't even mention it...... this guy was suave and dressed up like a real James Bond.... he made Sheriff Berry look like a tramp.... he was one serious piece of Special Forces equipment, I could see it, the court could see it and the Sheriff could see it....... he was the real deal, Sean Connery looks like a nonce in comparison.

Possibly 60 years old but, man, you could tell that this guy has seen some secret action..... he exuded quality from head to toe and cool like you have never witnessed....... Not a word did he utter, he didn't have to, his aura filled the room with a sense of "there's a piece of class going down in here"........he was, seriously. cool.

If I were Sheriff Berry I'd have awarded him a medal for "suave, cool, distinguished and UBER cool gent" but Mister Berry gave him a three year ban and a £1,000 fine...... that's not cricket...... he could have (at least) summed up with a "shaken not stirred" reference.

why can't Doanalsin report like this ?

Incomer796/class4
23-Apr-15, 23:36
.................................................. .........

rogermellie
23-Apr-15, 23:37
Or are you that fat sweaty pig they call the "Procurator Fiscal" who wants you JAILED for "shouting"?

You'll get 200 hours community service for farting down wind up here........it's a joke!

that's not quite right, have you read the report about the 150 plant ganja man who didn't even get done for personal ?

rogermellie
23-Apr-15, 23:40
4am in the morning officer..... I was asleep.

eh ? your special vat forces man couldn't walk from Castlegreen Road to his home at Howburn Road 250 metres round the corner

don't tell me ... he was off to do some undercover operashuns

Incomer796/class4
23-Apr-15, 23:40

Incomer796/class4
23-Apr-15, 23:42
.................................................. ..

BetterTogether
23-Apr-15, 23:43
What are you? A politically correct self appointed Policeman?

If the gentleman in question was still a member of the armed forces he would of been disciplined for bringing the service into disrepute and probably stripped down a rank or two if he possessed such a thing .
Nothing politically correct about that.
From your posts you seem to be somewhat unable to accept the rule of law and living in a peaceable society.

Incomer796/class4
23-Apr-15, 23:46
.................................................. ....

Incomer796/class4
23-Apr-15, 23:49
.................................................. ....

rogermellie
23-Apr-15, 23:51
I have tried (so many) times to say it as it on here but I keep getting banned...............................

i wish you well in your new found guise, it might be short lived, but better to burn out etc etc

Incomer796/class4
23-Apr-15, 23:51
.................................................. ..........

Incomer796/class4
23-Apr-15, 23:54
.................................................. .....................

pparker
24-Apr-15, 05:24
4;1116783]It's never good when you lose a loved one, I can empathize with you on that one. The guy in question here, however, did not kill your wife and son. He didn't even drive the car onto a main road. He was sitting in the car with the engine running.<br>
<br>
He "could" have wiped out an entire flock of school children, who were standing in the middle of the road, in the middle of the night but he didn't.<br>
<br>
Quite a few of my family were wiped out in WW2..... do I tar every German person as a potential killer? No. "he was a German and he "could" of potentially dropped a bomb on my house"..... erm, yes..... I could "potentially" mow a flock of sheep down if I happen to be tuning the radio in the car and I could "potentially" crash into another car at some point in my driving career.... maybe I should be jailed because I am a potential traffic accident waiting to happen?<br>
<br>
This "he could have potentially killed an entire village" mentality is what is wrong with this country...... Way too much misinformation from the media and a, seemingly. witch hunt mentality (a pack mentality even) from misinformed people who think that an armed robber / rapist / murderer is more honourable than a motorist with a few (tolerable) pints inside him.<br>
<br>
This country has gone mad. Whine whine whine whine...... moan and groan.... a bunch of lily livered cowards who would soon crap their pants if they had to fight in a trench for their freedom.[/QUOTE]<br><br><br>

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You make good points, however facts are:-

5 times over limit
In a car with engine running, probably not for the heater or tuning the radio.
Not for the first time he has been done for this offence, he is a known DUI offender. As indeed he was this time.
He was arrested in the car with engine running,after he had driven it.

He has drink problem that needs help and treatment , probably not going to happen as it was not enforced. He needs help end of. I am not an idiot, he did not kill my family.I don't blame him for it, and he should not pay for who did. He should however pay for what he did. I am sure he is a fine guy, I don't doubt that. Prisons are full of them. What lesson did he really learn? , he has not when he has been done before, over the limit usually means you lose your car, nope that was given back. I have read about him being in the SAS or special forces, not I believe true. He is retired from the armed forces I gather and no doubts served his country well. In point of fact I understand possibly better than you about life in what you refer to as the trenches and served with people who were in the front line during the Gulf. All those I knew and know would not condone at any level this behaviour and I would not call them " A bunch of lily livered cowards". With a comment like that I obviously expect you to have served in the front line as well , well I hope anyway.

As you say:-

"if I happen to be tuning the radio in the car and I could "potentially" crash into another car at some point in my driving career.... maybe I should be jailed because I am a potential traffic accident waiting to happen"

DAMN RIGHT YOU SHOULD , if you are 5 times over the limit when you are tuning your Radio.

My circumstances it can be argued don't have anything to do with Mr Moreland and I would agree. What you fail to see in your "flock of sheep " rant is that this is against the law , wrong, irresponsible and ask Mr Moreland in the light of day and he will probably agree. Sometimes the drunk will kill sometimes he wont , if he does he has destroyed his life as well. It weakens the law and its position and you are naïve indeed if you don't think others will see this and think , "No problem , they are light around here, , S**T lets have another". Go and read the papers look at the&nbsp; websites about&nbsp; drink driving .

As for "Tolerable" with the drink drive, sure lets stop the one law for all thing. Dumb idea , oh and take a look at to drink drive death stats sometime. Practice makes perfect, does this not indicate that Mr Moreland is a serious drinker ? you really think this is the second time he has been DUI, he has just been caught twice that's all. Sorry to hear about the WW2 thing, really am. No every German is not a murdering psycho even the ones who dropped bombs probably did that under orders as did we. Not sure how this reinforced your argument. Good emotive imagery though 10/10 for that .As you are on it, bombs were dropped millions were killed both sides , war is one thing, orders given, ways of life defended, thousands of servicemen and women&nbsp;sacrificed their lives to give you yours. Seriously you want to compare all that to a drunk in a car. He was in the car drunk , he had driven drunk and was sitting in a loaded gun. Its that simple. I feel no animosity to Mr Moreland at all , Gent though he may be ,he needs help, if you are prepared to defend him, then fine you would be better directed in helping him out. I hope you will not be alone. I stand by my opinion, he should have received a heavier sentence be that Jail / loss of car /the max fine/ absolutely he should have had a compulsory attendance order at a DUI facility / counselling. Not £1k that's a joke and probably easily afforded. Something that would have made him think twice. He is an engineer according to the JOGJ, ex serviceman, yep he should have known better, and really the base of your arguments seems to be that he did not mow down scores of people, sure pleased for that. As a last thought and to follow your analogy on , how happy would you be to walk down Thurso High street with a man 5 times over the legal limit walking around carrying a loaded gun with a disengaged safety, would you be happy ? would you run? would you call the police? , would you say no problem he is a nice guy I am sure he will not kill anyone. Or would you want to see him prosecuted for breaking the law of the land in the same way you would be. You can "what if" , and "what about" in comparisons all week long. If he is a good man one with a conscience then his life will be destroyed almost to the same degree as his victims family , IF next time he is "unlucky" , with his particular "loaded gun". However if what you need to see before you condemn a DUI case is actual carnage caused because of it ? , man , well you are "hard core". Do me, Thurso . and your Mate a favour, help him.

PantsMAN
24-Apr-15, 09:28
pparker -don't feed the troll, he would appear to be well known for this behaviour on these boards and clearly has been banned before.

There is no reasoning with trolls. I know as I have fallen into the 'feeding' trap before.

pparker
24-Apr-15, 11:30
pparker -don't feed the troll, he would appear to be well known for this behaviour on these boards and clearly has been banned before.

There is no reasoning with trolls. I know as I have fallen into the 'feeding' trap before.Hi Pantsman , thanks for that you are right, it is an easy trap, very good advice its appreciated . Thanks PP

sids
24-Apr-15, 12:38
why can't Doanalsin report like this ?

He tries to stick to something like the truth.