PDA

View Full Version : bread and butter pudding.

fudge100
07-Apr-07, 18:25
hi' has anyone got a recipe for bread and butter pudding? age's since i have tasted it and would like to make it myself,thanks fudge.

Buttercup
07-Apr-07, 18:45
I just make it the way my mum did but a lot of folks make a custard mixture or add eggs.

Stale bread - the older/drier the better. Make "sandwiches" by spreading it with butter and sprinkle lightly with sugar. cut into 2" cubes and put into a dish. Add some sultanas/raisins and pour some warm milk over it. Push the bread down into the milk and let it sit to absorb it. Meanwhile thickly butter some more of the bread, cut into smaller pieces and lay on top (butter side up) sprinkle liberally with sugar then bake in a moderate oven till browned.
Stale Hot Cross Buns or fruit loaf can also be used.

htwood
07-Apr-07, 19:47
I'm slavering here....what time will it be ready Buttercup LOL I like the idea of using stale hot cross buns, but never any left to get stale at my house. -H

ŠAmethyst
07-Apr-07, 20:35
Why would people use custard though when I'm informed that Bread and Butter Pudding is a form of custard anyway?

Btw, has anyone ever tried making this with soya milk?

Buttercup
07-Apr-07, 20:39
Why would people use custard though when I'm informed that Bread and Butter Pudding is a form of custard anyway?

Btw, has anyone ever tried making this with soya milk?

Gary Rhodes makes a "custard" to add to the bread instead of milk. The bread & butter pudding I know is very far from a form of custard! :confused
Gary Rhodes recipe: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/breadandbutterpuddin_83141.shtml

emb123
07-Apr-07, 20:57
This is a tried (repeatedly) tested recipe that I've used for years from "The Cookery Year" (my favourite cookbook) by Reader's Digest

It's an excellent recipe and a doddle to make, very quickly.

Bread & Butter Pudding

Slightly stale buttered bread is the basis for this traditional English nursery pudding which appeals equally to children and husbands.

Preparation time: 15 min.
Cooking time : 30 min.

Ingredients (for 4):
8 slices white buttered bread
2 oz. Sultanas
Grated rind of a lemon
2 eggs
3 level tablespoons caster sugar
1 pint vanilla flavoured milk

Remove the crusts and cut the bread into 1 in. squares. Place them in a lightly buttered fireproof dish, with alternate layers of sultanas mixed with grated lemon rind.
Beat the eggs lightly with 2 tablespoons of the sugar and all the milk. Pour this custard over the bread. Sprinkle the remaining spoonful of sugar over the top, and bake in a preheated oven at 350 Fahrenheit (gas mark 4) for about 30 minutes.

--------------

As a tip I would suggest keep an eye on it towards the end of cooking time and if necessary prod corners of bread that may be sitting above the surface down otherwise they can get a bit over-browned (burnt!).

I also recommend full-cream or at least semi-skimmed milk and butter not margarine.

Angela
07-Apr-07, 21:05
No hot cross buns left here either :( ....I like your kind of pudding better than the more elaborate version, buttercup! Nice with a spot of ice-cream (caramel, toffee, butterscotch is best imo) too.

Amethyst, I make all sorts of puds with soya milk instead of cow's milk and it's not been a problem -yet. :lol:

Angela
07-Apr-07, 21:12
This is a tried (repeatedly) tested recipe that I've used for years from "The Cookery Year" (my favourite cookbook) by Reader's Digest

It's an excellent recipe and a doddle to make, very quickly.

Bread & Butter Pudding

Slightly stale buttered bread is the basis for this traditional English nursery pudding which appeals equally to children and husbands.

Preparation time: 15 min.
Cooking time : 30 min.

Ingredients (for 4):
8 slices white buttered bread
2 oz. Sultanas
Grated rind of a lemon
2 eggs
3 level tablespoons caster sugar
1 pint vanilla flavoured milk

Remove the crusts and cut the bread into 1 in. squares. Place them in a lightly buttered fireproof dish, with alternate layers of sultanas mixed with grated lemon rind.
Beat the eggs lightly with 2 tablespoons of the sugar and all the milk. Pour this custard over the bread. Sprinkle the remaining spoonful of sugar over the top, and bake in a preheated oven at 350 Fahrenheit (gas mark 4) for about 30 minutes.

--------------

As a tip I would suggest keep an eye on it towards the end of cooking time and if necessary prod corners of bread that may be sitting above the surface down otherwise they can get a bit over-browned (burnt!).

I also recommend full-cream or at least semi-skimmed milk and butter not margarine.

Oops, emb123, just noticed your recipe...I meant in my post above that I wasn't so keen on the Gary Rhodes one, which seems a bit complicated. I hadn't seen yours!

I love The Cookery Year, but my copy has gone walkabout - it was the first cookery book I had when I got married, in the days when you could describe a recipe as equally popular with children and husbands!:lol: It had another lovely pudding recipe, for "clafoutis", as I recall....

emb123
07-Apr-07, 21:40
No bother! It's a super book! I have seen it sell quite cheaply on ebay on the occasionas I've looked. (I'll fetch my copy and post the Clafoutis recipe if you like!)

My personal favourite recipe from it has got to be Shoo Fly Pie, an spicy and sugary crumble pie with dark-brown sugar soaked raisins at the bottom. It's the closest thing to heaven I've eaten as a dessert served slightly warm with ice cream :) .....I can dig that out too if requested!

Angela
07-Apr-07, 21:50
No bother! It's a super book! I have seen it sell quite cheaply on ebay on the occasionas I've looked. (I'll fetch my copy and post the Clafoutis recipe if you like!)

My personal favourite recipe from it has got to be Shoo Fly Pie, an spicy and sugary crumble pie with dark-brown sugar soaked raisins at the bottom. It's the closest thing to heaven I've eaten as a dessert served slightly warm with ice cream :) .....I can dig that out too if requested!

Pulleeeeez, pulleeeeez, don't make me beg!:eek:

I'm sure other people would like them too!

emb123
07-Apr-07, 22:38
no sooner said than done (sort of). Never come across Clafouti before - sounds wonderful! I wonder if at a push you could get away with using a preserved cherries in syrup that they do in Lidl.

I think Aldi do something like that in their frozen foods - but in the form of a huge and delicious pie. Really worth checking it out if you happen travel to somewhere with an Aldi or getting vistors to bring one up with them.

ŠAmethyst
08-Apr-07, 14:41
Thanks buttercup. Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to substitute milk with soya milk :) lol - never baked with soya milk yet

Angela
08-Apr-07, 15:15
no sooner said than done (sort of). Never come across Clafouti before - sounds wonderful! I wonder if at a push you could get away with using a preserved cherries in syrup that they do in Lidl.

I think Aldi do something like that in their frozen foods - but in the form of a huge and delicious pie. Really worth checking it out if you happen travel to somewhere with an Aldi or getting vistors to bring one up with them.

I think clafouti can be made with different fruits - I know fresh cherries can be a bit pricy and also fiddly! I was wondering about apricots or even sliced peaches?:confused

No Aldi (or indeed Lidl) near me, but my daughter's just discovered an Aldi near her in Perth and is singing its praises....I'll ask her to have a look when she's next there! Thanks a lot for that idea. :D