PDA

View Full Version : Caithness lairdships

spurtle
07-Apr-07, 18:23
Anyone seen www.mac-sothis.com

Where is Glencairn? - map shows Latheron, but people are being asked to buy plots 12" square "a short walk from the Camster Cairns" - they are told that they will help, by their purchase, to preserve the beautiful unspoilt landscape of the area - have any of these guys been told they are getting a massive windfarm next door??
Anybody out there know what is going on??

percy toboggan
07-Apr-07, 18:28
This reminds me of the band 'Mannfred Mann' who gave away a square foot of land with every album sold back in the seventies. Did anyone buy one?
They were a good old group and would have sold shed-loads without this gimmick.
I'll go look at the link now. I might be tempted - me own bit of Caithness.....

buggyracer
07-Apr-07, 18:52
This reminds me of the band 'Mannfred Mann' who gave away a square foot of land with every album sold back in the seventies. Did anyone buy one?
They were a good old group and would have sold shed-loads without this gimmick.
I'll go look at the link now. I might be tempted - me own bit of Caithness.....

quality band, blinded by the light and the mighty quinn, are my favourites.

fred
07-Apr-07, 19:53
Anyone seen www.mac-sothis.com

Where is Glencairn? - map shows Latheron, but people are being asked to buy plots 12" square "a short walk from the Camster Cairns" - they are told that they will help, by their purchase, to preserve the beautiful unspoilt landscape of the area - have any of these guys been told they are getting a massive windfarm next door??
Anybody out there know what is going on??

Yes, it's been going on for years, a bit of a con but you'd be amazed how many people come to Caithness just to see their piece of land so it's good for the tourist trade.

Many years ago someone bought a load of land on the Burn of Camster, split it into quarter acre plots and advertised them down in England. It was going to be a new town with a hotel and shops and everything, well that's what the advert said, truth is it was never going to be anything but a peat bog.

Then the adverts started in Private Eye for the one foot square plots with the right to call yourself the Laird of Camster, the real Laird of Camster wasn't happy and it changed to Glencairn.

Can you call yourself the Laird of Glencairn if you buy a square foot of land? You can call yourself the Laird of Glencairn even if you don't buy a square foot of land, you can call yourself anything you want as long as you arn't doing it to try and rob somebody.

Royster1911
08-Apr-07, 19:28
I was given a lairdship of Stronsay 4 year ago. My estate lies dormant and has not realised its potential (yet). I have not yet set foot on my estate (only room for one at a time), as should I wish to, I would have to pay other lairds for walking across their estates (one foot per estate).[disgust] Anyone want to purchase my estate? Its a steal at £100.00