PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool FC

mike.mckenzie
04-May-05, 16:52
Well I know not everyone likes football on here, but even those not that interested must have got caught up in last night's game!

What a result, the city's buzzing here just now. Some happy, and obviously some people wearing blue not so!

I'm going to Istanbul, anyone else!!??

PS May 25th is the final, and Liverpool won their first European Cup on May 25th 1977!

Donnie
04-May-05, 17:40
Just shows that money can't buy you the Champions League.

Brizer2k2
04-May-05, 18:54
well done to Liverpool

I am not the biggest fan of them but I'd rather see them get to the final than Chelsea who are blatantly trying to buy everything in football.

Man U have proved that by building a team through their youth team can bring success and not throwing endless pots of money at it (maybe not at the moment), with the likes of Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Butt, Neville (Phil and Gary) etc. etc all cost nothing and was the basis for them winning numerous premier league titles, Euro cup winners cup, european champions cup, FA and league cups, European super cup and world club championship.

Alananders68
04-May-05, 21:22
If Liverpool win the final it will be a massive embarrassment to the great game, it's a disgrace.

The competition is called 'the Champions League' but Liverpool finished fourth in there league last season and this season are struggling to finish fifth so for them to win the final would just be a joke. Sadly that's the thing with cup competitions is that the best team seldom wins, it's not like a league where over 38 games there can be no disputing the winner, a cup competition is all about luck, a lucky decision is all it takes as was proved last night. I'm not defending Chelsea, they had 3 hours against Liverpool and failed to score which doesn'tt surprise me as I've said all season there lightweight front line would cost them dear, but no genuine football fan can honestly say that Liverpool deserve to be in the final.

2little2late
04-May-05, 21:31
If Liverpool win the final it will be a massive embarrassment to the great game, it's a disgrace.

but no genuine football fan can honestly say that Liverpool deserve to be in the final.

Liverpool have got this far so obviously thet deserve to win the trophy.
They obviously got this far by being the better team in matches they played. Luck has nothing to do with it. So, Man Utd were unlucky, Chelsea were unlucky, Rangers were unlucky, Celtic were unlucky etc.etc. Not really. As for Celtic and Rangers they are only mediocre teams any way. Can't even do any good inthe uefa cup can they?

And they want to join the English Premier league! [lol] [lol].

Anne_Mas
04-May-05, 22:03
They are not playing against PSV, they just played 3-1 against Milaan :( Too bad...

Alexander Rowe
05-May-05, 00:03
Re Rangers and Celtic.......

Those two are pathetic. The fact that they are the two best Scotland can offer is embarrasing. How people like Lennon, Balde, Maurice Ross and Dado Prso play for the two best sides amazes me. I'd rather watch paint dry than watch Celtic (long ball over and over again), and Rangers arent much better.

And as for the Champions league final this year. ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz.

doreenhedgehog
05-May-05, 09:35
Liverpool getting to the final reminded of the time celtic got to the final of the UEFA cup. No flair or imagination. Get a goal and put ten men behind the ball and kick everything out of the pitch.

I actually wanted Liverpool to win but their way of doing it was a bit disappointing. However the style was successful so can you criticise them for it? Play to your strengths I suppose. I said many weeks ago that Milan would win the CL this year and can't see it going any other way.

frank ward
05-May-05, 10:11
I was delighted my team got through but yes we lacked some flair.

But LFC have shown excellent football in many games this year, they've just been unable to keep it going. I went to Cardiff for the League Cup final and we blitzed Chelsea before letting them take the game to us. We paid the price then, and we were lucky again on tuesday night.

I think that Everton deserve a cup place ahead of Liverpool if they beat us to 4th spot.

I was happy to see PSV go out, they could have given us real problems. But Milan are there for the taking IF we play aggressively from the start.

The TV money men have devalued the cup by letting in too many teams. Remember Liverpool won all 4 European cups playing against national champions.

Number 5 coming up, I believe we can keep the trophy permanently this time.

mike.mckenzie
05-May-05, 11:25
Well, I think a couple of you haven't been watching Liverpool play during this cup run. 10 men behind the ball? Did you not see the way they played against Juventus, who are neck and neck for the Italian League? they couldn't cope with the all out pace and attack and were blown away. Garcia's goal was second to none. They were phenomenal against Leverkusen in the AWAY leg, where European tactics usually dictate the defensive ten man approach someone mentioned earlier. What about the 2nd half against Olympiakos? 3 goals and one of the best strikes in European competition this season! If they don't deserve to be there, who do? Chelsea? Knocked out by them. Juventus? Knocked out by them as well.

As for the qualification situation, they didn't make the rules and qualified on merit.

Viva la Rafalution!!!

Whitewater
05-May-05, 12:09
Even if Liverpool win the European cup they will not be in it next year unless they qualify through the English Premier League.

I'm not really a football fan but I enjoy a good game. Liverpool have had some great results and have played tactical football designed to disrupt the opposition. That to me is good management, coaching and tactics. Chelsea were unable to break them down, but I think if Damien Duff had been playing they may have had a different result.

doreenhedgehog
05-May-05, 13:14
Even if Liverpool win the European cup they will not be in it next year unless they qualify through the English Premier League.

I'm not really a football fan but I enjoy a good game. Liverpool have had some great results and have played tactical football designed to disrupt the opposition. That to me is good management, coaching and tactics. Chelsea were unable to break them down, but I think if Damien Duff had been playing they may have had a different result.

Do the holders not get in automatically?

mike.mckenzie
05-May-05, 13:44
No, only the first 4 in the EPL. Anyway, Everton will deserve it if they do finish 4th, they have had a great season. (and me a Liverpool fan too)

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/gallery/2005/05/04/brianmckeeverrafamrben2.jpg

scotsboy
07-May-05, 07:29
I'll be in Istanbul Mike :cool:

As for those who have managed to somehow drag the old firm into this thread I think you should do the honorable thing and declare your allegiance. As for Prso.......did he not play in the CL final last year :roll: Seems your view of football is as blinkered as that of life Alexander ;)

2little2late
08-May-05, 14:23
I'll be in Istanbul Mike :cool:

As for those who have managed to somehow drag the old firm into this thread I think you should do the honorable thing and declare your allegiance.

Allegiance to whom?

scotsboy
08-May-05, 16:40
Thought it was self explanatory - but they should say what team they support :roll:

Stormblast
09-May-05, 17:40
Forza AC Milan

scotsboy
09-May-05, 18:40
You mean Forza Rossoneri!

Alananders68
09-May-05, 21:26
Well, I think a couple of you haven't been watching Liverpool play during this cup run. 10 men behind the ball? Did you not see the way they played against Juventus, who are neck and neck for the Italian League? they couldn't cope with the all out pace and attack and were blown away. Garcia's goal was second to none. They were phenomenal against Leverkusen in the AWAY leg, where European tactics usually dictate the defensive ten man approach someone mentioned earlier. What about the 2nd half against Olympiakos? 3 goals and one of the best strikes in European competition this season! If they don't deserve to be there, who do? Chelsea? Knocked out by them. Juventus? Knocked out by them as well.

As for the qualification situation, they didn't make the rules and qualified on merit.

Viva la Rafalution!!!

It is true that they have done well to get as far as they have and that they don't make the rules, they are there and good luck to them but I just think if they win the final it would make football a joke to have such a poor side winning the greatest prize in club football. When Liverpool were at there greatest the European Cup was a proper tournament and only champions gained entry to it, now it is so devalued by letting fourth placed nobodies in, Liverpool finished fourth in league last season and looks like could be sixth this season yet they may win the biggest trophy, that isn't right no matter what.

Rheghead
25-May-05, 23:52
Well Done Liverpool FC!!! Nice to see another British team win the European Cup!

zappster
26-May-05, 06:44
Well done Liverpool ma throat is sore fae shoutin at the telly last night at one of the best games I've watched in Years :D :D :D

doreenhedgehog
26-May-05, 08:58
Well done indeed! What a game. One of the great comebacks of all time!

The Pepsi Challenge
26-May-05, 10:59
I'm sick! I had £20 on AC Milan to win comfortably. Scouse swines. Good on ya, I guess.

Rheghead
10-Jun-05, 13:01
Well their prayers have been answered, they have been given the chance to defend their title. Commonsense has prevailed I think

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Jun-05, 17:46
I don't agree.

Between the FA and UEFA they made an backside of it. That's not Liverpool's fault, but they failed to qualify given the criteria laid down at the start, and all the way through, the season. Immediately, Everton are down 5M quid, yet they qualified fair and square. Why should they be punished financially?

Suppose Celtic are demoted to Pot 3? All the hard work of the last five seasons to get the co-efficient up to a decent level is deemed irrelevent because of some political fudge between two bunches of suits. Is this fair and square?

How about the Eastern European team demoted to the qualifiers? This might be their one and only chance of the big time, a day their fans have dreamt of, and yet the might get knocked out before it even starts!

And what about Real Zaragoza, when the Spanish FA were forced to make a decision? Is that fair? A scandalous decision no matter which way you look at it.

Furthermore... Say Brazil failed to qualify out of the South American qualification section for the World Cup. Should the rules then be changed to let them "defend their trophy"?
Uefa – corrupt and spineless .

Through
10-Jun-05, 19:01
The "Champions League" is now a complete farce. The winners were not the Champions of their own league last season and they are not the Champions of their own league this season, but they won the "Champions League". They could not qualify for the same competition next season, but now they are allowed in?

Looking at it from a logical point of view, it is utter nonsense.

Jeid
12-Jun-05, 23:28
the entire setup of Europe's "Premier Football Competition" is a complete joke if you ask me. I mean, lets look at things here. The competition is called "The Champions League".... Champion league? haha, yeah, you can finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th in a few countries and still qualify for the competition. what makes me laugh more is that you can finish FIRST (yeah, actual Champions) in Scotland, but you have to play a Qualifying game to go into the group stages, but you can finish SECOND in England, France, Germany, Spain and Italy... and go straight into the group stages. The winners of the competition(up until now) don't automatically qualify for the champions league.... no champions? in the champions league? what a joke!! As someone else pointed out, Liverpool finished fourth last season and managed to win the cup. good on em, but it makes the setup look like a bit of a sham.

if you ask me, money has just taken over the actual real meaning of this competition. they should either revert back to the old system with the knock out stages(and also re-introduce the cup winners cup) or re-name the competition "The Top Few Teams From Each Country In Europe League"

but, on the subject! WAHEY for Liverpool!!! I'm a fan of the mighty reds, have been ever since the epic 4-3 Victory over Newcastle!

L-I-V E-R-P DOUBLE O-L LIVERPOOL FC!!!!!

:)

(ps, Hi Megan's Mum :))