PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Aid

BetterTogether
12-Apr-15, 16:40
Thought I'd throw this one out there today.

With a budget of £12.2 billion going out of the country in Foriegn aid this year I thought I'd ask whether people think this money is well spent or should be cut back,phased out to ensure our own services are improved.

This morning I watched a few politicians squabbling over funding of the NHS the highest offer was from the conservatives of £8 billion, but then George Osbourne was grilled over where that money would come from all the parties seem to be making various offers of some Billions.

We also have the SNP decrying the use of food banks and various other austerity measures.

So here's a simple poll and discussion on the benefits or other points of view on Foriegn aid.

For the record we have the second highest rate of Foriegn aid outstripped only by the USA.

tonkatojo
12-Apr-15, 16:57
Thought I'd throw this one out there today.

With a budget of £12.2 billion going out of the country in Foriegn aid this year I thought I'd ask whether people think this money is well spent or should be cut back,phased out to ensure our own services are improved.

This morning I watched a few politicians squabbling over funding of the NHS the highest offer was from the conservatives of £8 billion, but then George Osbourne was grilled over where that money would come from all the parties seem to be making various offers of some Billions.

We also have the SNP decrying the use of food banks and various other austerity measures.

So here's a simple poll and discussion on the benefits or other points of view on Foriegn aid.

For the record we have the second highest rate of Foriegn aid outstripped only by the USA.

I looked but saw no option in your poll to "phase out" so had no other option but to vote cut back.

BetterTogether
12-Apr-15, 17:15
Fair point phase out would of been a valid option mind at the extreme you could decrease down to zero if required.

Rheghead
14-Apr-15, 18:56
£12bn across the UK means everyone is donating the price of a pint of beer every week to someone who really needs it. I'm all for re-evaluating which countries really need it but lets use that exercise to increase the aid to those that really need it.

PantsMAN
14-Apr-15, 19:39

Reference(s) please?

BetterTogether
14-Apr-15, 21:45
Reference(s) please?No requirement for references Nicola Sturgeon frequently mentions food banks and austerity in her speeches. I think we can all agree that the requirement for food banks in a civilised society isn't a good thing.

PantsMAN
14-Apr-15, 23:20
No requirement for references Nicola Sturgeon frequently mentions food banks and austerity in her speeches. I think we can all agree that the requirement for food banks in a civilised society isn't a good thing.

I think we can all agree that helping others who are worse off is a good thing in a civilised society.

And yes, I am aware that corruption in some countries renders our aid inefficient.

janeyj
16-Apr-15, 18:57
I believe it's right we should help those in need. Just so long as the money goes to the right people and not into some dictator's pocket. Remember no act of kindness is ever wasted.

Doolally
16-Apr-15, 21:22
Decrease and re-evaluate.

Stop giving to countries who've now developed enough to save themselves. Give some to those in dire straights but remember that charity starts at home.

smithp
16-Apr-15, 21:54
£12bn across the UK means everyone is donating the price of a pint of beer every week to someone who really needs it. I'm all for re-evaluating which countries really need it but lets use that exercise to increase the aid to those that really need it.

I brew my own. I don't mind sending a few gallons abroad to places that really need to get hammered - but I will expect a tax discount.

Bill Fernie
18-Apr-15, 00:32
Foreign aid like many other things is much more complicated than just looking at the amount sent out by one country to another. Often the aid can be surrounded by many conditions including agreements to buy UK or other donor country goods or services products including arms and military equipment as part of the deal.

The following article gives some idea of the complexity and also points out that private donations to other countries far outstrip those of governments.
http://www.globalissues.org/print/article/35

S (http://www.globalissues.org/print/article/35)ee also - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_aid

A (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_aid)nd The Commitment To Development Index - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commitment_to_Development_Index
This gives a better understanding of which countries contribute meaningfully and not just on the total amounts.

Rheghead
18-Apr-15, 00:35
I sponsor a child abroad. That comes out of my own pocket but I'd like to know if my money is included in the government's foreign aid budget?