PDA

View Full Version : strange light in the sky?

brandy
05-Apr-07, 23:41
hiya guys,
we saw a strange light in the sky tonight.. i live in pultney and in the sky, a star like light but you could see it flicker and fade.. and move then come back.. stayed mainly stationary.. but it was odd.. like a starburst in shape.. larger than a star.. with teh starburst spikes coming from it.. i called my mate who lives a street over.. asked her if she could see.. just to make sure i wasnt delusional.. any one else see it?

Jeemag_USA
06-Apr-07, 00:08
What direction was it in, it could actually be Venus, at certain times of the year and at certain times of night especially dusk it can be pretty radiant. As it shines it can give off the appearance of moving slightly and sometimes looks like its glowing red, white, green.

brandy
06-Apr-07, 00:13
i think it was westerly.. but not a 100 % on that.. but you cant see it now.. its gone.

DeHaviLand
06-Apr-07, 00:17
It was probably the space station Mir. Its been visible in the west for a few weeks now. Looks spectacular through binoculars.

Jeemag_USA
06-Apr-07, 00:18
i think it was westerly.. but not a 100 % on that.. but you cant see it now.. its gone.

I think it was Venus, it takes on quite an appearance as the dusk rolls in, but when it gets dark you don't notice it, I think it has to do with the sun going down, not really sure. But I remember many times thinking I was seeing something out of the ordinary and then someone explained to me it was Venus. Not sure about the position, but I remember one time in midsummer seeing it from Naver Field and I woudl have been looking south west at it, but by that month of course it would be in a different position.

brandy
06-Apr-07, 00:18
any one have any pics of it?
i thought that mir had broken up and fell to earth?

brandy
06-Apr-07, 00:20
but this wasnt at dush it was almost 11 pm at night.. so very full dark.. it was very bright and almost looked like it had colors in it.. you know how you squint and can see the blues and reds.. wish i had taken a pic darn it!

DeHaviLand
06-Apr-07, 00:28
see, I'm way out of date. Its the International Space Station.Mir no longer exists.

DeHaviLand
06-Apr-07, 00:52
See here for possible sighting times. http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/view.cgi?country=United_Kingdom&region=Scotland&city=Inverness

DeHaviLand
06-Apr-07, 00:59
Ok Brandy, now you got me doing my homework. ISS is not visible just now, and just had a look out to the west. That has to be Venus. Wish I had looked first.

Rheghead
06-Apr-07, 01:53
hiya guys,
we saw a strange light in the sky tonight..

OK, you get the myrrh, I've got a gold coin and a wee frankenstein toy, the next time you see it, give me a pm.

Hmm, what would be the modern day appropriate gifts? A PS3?

the nomad
06-Apr-07, 08:15
hiya guys,
we saw a strange light in the sky tonight.. i live in pultney and in the sky, a star like light but you could see it flicker and fade.. and move then come back.. stayed mainly stationary.. but it was odd.. like a starburst in shape.. larger than a star.. with teh starburst spikes coming from it.. i called my mate who lives a street over.. asked her if she could see.. just to make sure i wasnt delusional.. any one else see it?
I could also see it down here in Inverness, it seemed very low in the sky and very bright.

Ricco
06-Apr-07, 09:45
OK, you get the myrrh, I've got a gold coin and a wee frankenstein toy, the next time you see it, give me a pm.

Hmm, what would be the modern day appropriate gifts? A PS3?

Excellent, Rheghead. Love that idea.;)

brokencross
06-Apr-07, 10:18
Venus is a "morning star" this time of year. Jupiter is in the West and bright so assuming what you saw is a planet, Jupiter is my bet. If it is a star it will probably be Sirius, the three stars in the belt of Orion point to it.

RIR
06-Apr-07, 10:39
From the BBC Science & Nature: Space website http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/myspace/nightsky/observingnotes.shtml

"........Venus this month, as it hangs high in the west during dusk. Its bright white clouds reflect around 75% of the sunlight that hits them, making this an incredibly brilliant object when it, the Sun and Earth are in the right place – as they are now."

Cheers

Ian.

brokencross
06-Apr-07, 11:22
I stand corrected regards Venus, however it wouldn't be Venus at 2300

George Brims
06-Apr-07, 20:20
Venus is still up at 2300 as viewed from Wick. It sets at about 00:08 in the morning.

Here's a grand wee program (the latest version requires your version of Java is up to date).

http://www.skyviewcafe.com/skyview.php?version=4