PDA

View Full Version : computer time clock

lynne duncan
05-Apr-07, 22:39
the computer clock bottom right of screen won't keep to the correct itme how can I correct this? thanks in advance for any help

George Brims
05-Apr-07, 22:49
There are a number of issues here. One is it could be a hardware problem. On some older PCs there is a wee button style battery on the motherboard, which maintains the clock and other settings. They do eventually die, and as they get close to that the clock will go off. Take a peek inside and see if your mother board has one - they are sometimes quite big. They're not always easy to change mind you. At worst they can be soldered in place!

A problem I have is that I plug my laptop into the network at work and it becomes part of a network domain. The systems mannie just will not take care that the clock on the server is kept right, so whenever I collect my email from the server, my PC clock gets reset to whatever time it has! Unfortunately in Windows XP if you are part of a network domain then you have no way to specify what time server keeps you up to date. That option is greyed out.

j4bberw0ck
05-Apr-07, 22:57
By all means check the battery as George suggests but the other thing you can do is to download an "atomic clock sync" utility - there are loads of them - Google will help. One such is >>>here<<< (http://www.worldtimeserver.com/atomic-clock/) - download and install and you'll be accurate to a tiny fraction of a second thereafter.

The_man_from_del_monte
05-Apr-07, 23:09
Look no further than the atomic clock http://www.worldtimeserver.com/atomic-clock/ and change your CMOS (complimentary metal oxide semiconductor) battery too (a couple of quid tops - nothing more than a cell battery - you'll need to know what motherboard you have before ordering the battery).

Bobinovich
06-Apr-07, 18:47
The majority of CMOS batteries used on PC motherboards are of type CR2032 i.e. 20mm diameter & 3.2mm thick.

There is a clock sync function built into Windows XP which can be used when you're online - just double click the clock then click the Internet Time tab, choose a server and click the Update Now button. You should also see that it is set to update automatically on a certain date/time but the two standard time servers frequently don't work! Typical [disgust]