PDA

View Full Version : password problem

daviddd
03-May-05, 11:35
I would be grateful for advice on a worrying PC problem. Whenever I visit a website needing a password e.g. Ebay, I just have to enter my username from the drop-down list, then my pasword automatically pops into the password box - albeit in dots but it's valid nontheless - I just have to hit return to get in. This is worrying as it even happens when I'm asked for my Paypal password, meaning that anyone could use my PC to pay on Ebay! Any ideas how to stop this anyone?

Little Mouse
03-May-05, 11:51
It looks like the 'Log me in automatically' box has been selected when logging in at some point. What you could try is restoring the default settings in Internet Explorer, i.e Tools, Internet Options, Advanced Tab and Restore Defaults right at the bottom. This should stop filling in the password automatically. If a box pops up saying 'Log me in automatically' just select no.

Hope this helps!

Donnie
03-May-05, 11:55
In Internet Explorer if you go in to Tools then Internet Options, then click on the content tab. When in there if you click on the auto complete button you'll have the option to erase all saved passwords and to enable/disable auto complete.

daviddd
03-May-05, 14:23
many thanks - I'll try this tonight! :)

Gus
03-May-05, 15:57
Hello David,

Deleting your Internet Temp files, Cookies and History from the Tools/Internet Options menu is something worthwhile doing at least every couple of days. Not only does it make it more difficult for those inclined to see what's on your machine (via the internet), but it also makes your computer run that wee bit quicker. The only downside is having to write in your name and password again after you've done it.

Gus

Anonymous
03-May-05, 17:12
Use Firefox as your browser, its free from http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ - you get much more control over stored passwords and user names. I've used it for some time now without any problems...

Liz
03-May-05, 18:29
I use Firefox. Do you delete Cookies, History etc on a regular basis?
Should I delete Download Manager History and Cache as well? :roll:

EDDIE
03-May-05, 19:17
Hi i agree with gus but i do it every time i log of the computer you wouldn't think it but it does make your computer slighty quicker and is noticeable

daviddd
04-May-05, 15:00
all sorted now, thank you all. :D