PDA

View Full Version : Renewable Energy Overtakes nuclear for the first time.

Rheghead
27-Mar-15, 11:29
In 2014 Renewable energy accounted for 19.2% of the total UK electricity production, up from 14.9% last year whilst Nuclear production was 19.0%.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/416310/PN_March_15.pdf

I think we in the north of Scotland can be particularly proud of ourselves for playing a big part in that achievement. A lot more can be done and will be done and I am confident that you will all get behind the big push to a low carbon economy. :D

sids
27-Mar-15, 18:55
Do you reckon nuclear power is "high carbon?"

captain chaos
27-Mar-15, 19:19
Nuclear is a form of low carbon, renewable energy, the same as wave, or wind as the fuel is reprocessed and used again

Rheghead
28-Mar-15, 00:02
Do you reckon nuclear power is "high carbon?"

No, but the real questions that we should ask ourselves is this; Is it low carbon enough? Is nuclear sustainable?

Very questionable.

sids
28-Mar-15, 00:24
No, but the real questions that we should ask ourselves is this; Is it low carbon enough? .

If it's not enough, why do we all have to get behind the big push towards it?

Rheghead
28-Mar-15, 02:23
If it's not enough, why do we all have to get behind the big push towards it?

I was referring to nuclear power. Does nuclear power fit in with a low carbon economy when some estimates suggest it has a carbon footprint 4 times higher than some renewables.

sids
28-Mar-15, 10:27
I was referring to nuclear power. Does nuclear power fit in with a low carbon economy when some estimates suggest it has a carbon footprint 4 times higher than some renewables.

"Some renewables" could be a bit selective.

So could "some estimates."

Rheghead
28-Mar-15, 11:34
"Some renewables" could be a bit selective.

So could "some estimates."

I was not trying to be specific. There are plenty of reliable sources online to research the carbon footprint of various electricity generation should you wish to do so. Don't take my word for it.

BetterTogether
28-Mar-15, 18:08
What if Lockheeds recent announcement on being able to produce a viable fusion reactor within ten years actually comes fruition, wouldn't that make renewable energies pretty much obsolete overnight.
My personal opinion is we have gone from being a world leader in the atomic world to a nearly ran third world country, like many technologies when first introduced that are less than perfect given time a lot of the problems are resolved and eventually they become totally acceptable.
At the moment there is a lot of hysteria regarding nuclear power, when you consider countries such as France which have invested heavily in it.
What I do see is a power problem in this country within the next decade if we keep finding reasons not to build new generation stations and rely totally on renewable.

I believe you can find an article on the Lockheed announcement in Reuters.

Rheghead
28-Mar-15, 19:08
What would happen should we stop building renewable energy plants and fusion proves not to be viable? A decade wasted in the fight against climate change.

BetterTogether
28-Mar-15, 19:14
Well there are other alternatives it's yet to be proven that renewables are able to power the country as a whole without input from other sources. Time and again in the media how Britian is facing a potential energy shortfall in the not distant future.Renewables do not seem to be plugging the gap for the incresing demands of a power hungry country. I can see in the not far future a sudden rush to build power plants, probably nuclear a to fill the gap left by investing so heavily in renewables which aren't able to supply constant reliable power when it's required.

Rheghead
28-Mar-15, 19:21
Well there are other alternatives it's yet to be proven that renewables are able to power the country as a whole without input from other sources.

Who is trying to prove that the country can be powered by just renewables alone?

BetterTogether
29-Mar-15, 16:31
Well there's the point if renewables aren't capable of doing the job in question why are we ploughing so much money into them. Surely what is required is plants capable of large scale reliable generation for the whole country as opposed to expensive heavily subsidised inefficient energy production.

Rheghead
29-Mar-15, 17:37
Well there's the point if renewables aren't capable of doing the job in question why are we ploughing so much money into them. Surely what is required is plants capable of large scale reliable generation for the whole country as opposed to expensive heavily subsidised inefficient energy production.

If subsidising energy is your real beef then you would shut the whole fossil fuel industry down.

BetterTogether
29-Mar-15, 18:21
If subsidising energy is your real beef then you would shut the whole fossil fuel industry down.If you note I said " heavily subsidised inefficient energy production " deliberate misquotes make me inclined to think you're just attempting to bait again .

Rheghead
29-Mar-15, 18:25
If you note I said " heavily subsidised inefficient energy production " deliberate misquotes make me inclined to think you're just attempting to bait again .

Fossil fuels are heavily subsidised and inefficient.