PDA

View Full Version : Is Political Correctness Modern Censorship

BetterTogether
23-Mar-15, 10:09
I was reading a few articles this morning from various sources and it sprang to mind how many people skirt around issues due to the scourge of political correctness.

What are your views on political correctness ?

Do you view it as fair and acceptable in all its forms or has it gone to far and created subjects so taboo no one dare speak about them.
We have seen recently the problems created in some areas where young girls where allowed to be molested because all the authorities where afraid to act due to fears of being criticised for targeting one specific sector of the community.
Or other situations where people are now uncomfortable discussing many subjects due to the limitations placed upon us.

Originally this crept in from crazy California and has been in my view used as a very effective political form of censorship.

PantsMAN
23-Mar-15, 11:13
Difficult though it is to agree with an OP who has a moniker such as yours, I do agree.

This creeping censorship has impinged on Free Speech.

I don't mean that people should be free to insult, denigrate, or abuse others but PC has definitely had an effect.

rose123
23-Mar-15, 17:19
is this not what you do Pantsman.

PantsMAN
24-Mar-15, 12:53
is this not what you do Pantsman.

Nurse, nurse! She's out of bed again...

rose123
24-Mar-15, 13:05
exactly what I am talking about. discussion not dribble thank you.

PantsMAN
24-Mar-15, 14:32
exactly what I am talking about. discussion not dribble thank you.

I think you will find that I was adding to the discussion in post #2 above when you decided to make things personal.

I also notice that you made things personal in post #7 in this thread
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?239063-Who-do-you-trust-with-the-economy&p=1114186#post1114186

Feel free to continue the pathetic personal posts, but you're on your own from this point forward. :eek:

BetterTogether
28-Mar-15, 18:16
Difficult though it is to agree with an OP who has a moniker such as yours, I do agree.This creeping censorship has impinged on Free Speech.I don't mean that people should be free to insult, denigrate, or abuse others but PC has definitely had an effect.Nice to see we agree on something

Rheghead
28-Mar-15, 18:59
Can we have an example of being politically incorrect which you think should be acceptable to say?

BetterTogether
28-Mar-15, 19:07
I'd say the recent revelations about gangs of men abusing young girls but no action being taken due to fears about racism and political correctness would suffice. But the phrase "you can't say that" is bandied about by far to many nowadays. Racism, Sexism and all the other isms which used to be spoken about haven't vanished people just don't speak about them anymore, that doesn't mean they no longer exist just you no longer have any idea if the person you happens to be one.

Rheghead
28-Mar-15, 19:14
Does their racial background make it worse for you?

BetterTogether
28-Mar-15, 19:19
Does their racial background make it worse for you?To me the racial background of someone breaking the law is of no regard they are lawbreakers regardless of race, religion or any other grouping you may wish to apply to them. What does matter is the people in charge felt themselves unable to address the issue because these groups are from a singular racial background. Does it make it acceptable and should be ignored because they are of a particular racial background is more the point ?

Rheghead
28-Mar-15, 19:28
To me the racial background of someone breaking the law is of no regard they are lawbreakers regardless of race, religion or any other grouping you may wish to apply to them. What does matter is the people in charge felt themselves unable to address the issue because these groups are from a singular racial background. Does it make it acceptable and should be ignored because they are of a particular racial background is more the point ?

The reasons why the police have not investigated child abuse allegations are probably many and varied. The bottom line is that race, creed, political persuasion and religious belief is no barrier to abusing children.

PantsMAN
29-Mar-15, 14:09
The bottom line is that race, creed, political persuasion and religious belief is no barrier to abusing children.

I don't think anyone has implied that they are.

Below is a quote from the report regarding the blatant failures of political and police leadership in Rotherham.
The original report was written by Prof Alexis Jay, a former chief inspector of social work.

"Council and other officials sometimes thought youth workers were exaggerating the exploitation problem. Sometimes they were afraid of being accused of racism if they talked openly about the perpetrators in the town mostly being Pakistani taxi drivers."

The point being that the perceived fear of being labelled 'racist' prevented anything being done about the abuse of 1,400 children over the period of 16 years.

BetterTogether
29-Mar-15, 16:34
I don't think anyone has implied that they are.Below is a quote from the report regarding the blatant failures of political and police leadership in Rotherham.The original report was written by Prof Alexis Jay, a former chief inspector of social work."Council and other officials sometimes thought youth workers were exaggerating the exploitation problem. Sometimes they were afraid of being accused of racism if they talked openly about the perpetrators in the town mostly being Pakistani taxi drivers."The point being that the perceived fear of being labelled 'racist' prevented anything being done about the abuse of 1,400 children over the perio od 16 years.
Well said wish I had of put that in !

Also this thread has shown a perfect example of someone attempting to use political correctness to silence debate by playing the race card.

Rheghead
29-Mar-15, 17:40
Well said wish I had of put that in !

Also this thread has shown a perfect example of someone attempting to use political correctness to silence debate by playing the race card.

wow, you can twist things right round can't you? Trying to silence debate on an anonymous message board? That would be quite some achievement.

Rheghead
29-Mar-15, 17:54
Any attempt to blame political correctness for the sex abuse shows a gross misunderstanding of what really happened.

BetterTogether
29-Mar-15, 18:18
Any attempt to blame political correctness for the sex abuse shows a gross misunderstanding of what really happened.Maybe you are deliberately misunderstanding the abuse had nothing to do with political correctness but the lack of action by various authorities to deal with it had everything to do with political correctness.

Rheghead
29-Mar-15, 18:28
Maybe you are deliberately misunderstanding the abuse had nothing to do with political correctness but the lack of action by various authorities to deal with it had everything to do with political correctness.

If you believe that then you have grossly misunderstood the various failings in Rotherham.

PantsMAN
30-Mar-15, 12:19
If you believe that then you have grossly misunderstood the various failings in Rotherham.

Direct quote from the report - Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Exploitation in Rotherham 1997-2013 Alexis Jay OBE

Para. 105 Agencies should acknowledge the suspected model of localised grooming of young white girls by men of Pakistani heritage, instead of being inhibited by the fear of affecting community relations. People must be able to raise concerns without fear of being labelled racist.

While it was not the only contributory factor, I guess we're not the only people who believe it was an important factor.

Rheghead
30-Mar-15, 14:11
Direct quote from the report - Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Exploitation in Rotherham 1997-2013 Alexis Jay OBE

Para. 105 Agencies should acknowledge the suspected model of localised grooming of young white girls by men of Pakistani heritage, instead of being inhibited by the fear of affecting community relations. People must be able to raise concerns without fear of being labelled racist.

While it was not the only contributory factor, I guess we're not the only people who believe it was an important factor.

I am quite aware of the inquiry findings. For what is almost a throw away statement in a document, there is too much focus upon it by too many who have their own axe to grind. If Bettertogether's real beef was about child abuse in Rotherham then why is he not focussing upon the major failings rather than the perception that some agencies didn't act because they were afraid of being called racist due to 'political correctness'?
This isn't political correctness, it is just plain old stupidity. You know, it doesn't usually take much of an excuse for the police and courts to act against people of Pakistani origin in relation to other crimes so why do some people try to make out that 'political correctness' is the major failing in this case? It doesn't make sense to do that unless there is another motive in that they are unhappy about 'political correctness' in the wider and less headline-grabbing sense.